Is God religious?

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:07 am
What religion does he belong to? Is he christian, jew or muslim?

I think most people will agree with me that God is of neither religion. My next question then is: What is religion?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 687 • Replies: 11
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:36 am
Nah,he's more of a practical guy as you can see from this very nice universe that he created with all the fluffy andimals and pretty stars.
We made up religion.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:38 am
DUH!!!

He's a Southern Baptist!

Gosh. Idiot

(Spoken in best Napolian Dynamite imitation)
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:57 am
Re: Is God religious?
Cyracuz

God must be an atheist. If not, He would believe in a GOD beyond HIMSELF.
ALLELUIA!!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:01 pm
The answer to your first question is --- You gotta be kidding.

The answer to the second part is ---
Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back -- more at RELY
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
- re·li·gion·less adjective
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:24 pm
I bet he has a lot of confidence.

Like, he really believes in himself.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:23 pm
Extra medium, lol.

Val, was that a eureka? To be honest, I do not believe god can even spell atheist. Smile
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:27 pm
God is not religious.
Religion is a construct of humans.
Religion is a process of doctrinal adjustment that allows rationally, socially and culturally unacceptable behaviour to be indulged.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 04:32 am
I think religion started out as a way to try to understand what was going on around us, like thousands of years ago, before most modern religions when there were gods for this and that. It makes sense that the sun was worshipped, and the moon, these things are alwasy there (well mostly) like they are looking on us and they bring life. Then things like wind and water were probably thought of as gods, or the work of gods, mainly because we had no other way to explain them. Then i reckon at some point people started taking advantage of these beliefs to form some kind of law or rule, for better or worse. Most of the 10 commandments are just common sense behaviour, good ways for people to act towards one another, but saying god said it kinda made sure people will stick to it.
i wonder more about how the idea of heaven came about, and all the different variations. whether it be sat at (a) god's side or val halla or nirvana or reincarnation. Some people, i think it's the native american church but i could be wrong, believe we are already in heaven. but i'm sure this has been discussed time and time again, i'm just ranting now, gotta fill my break somehow Smile
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:05 am
God can be over every religion. The concept of the existence of God can be consistent even if one does not know what exactly God is.
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 05:39 am
One of the earliest "heretical" cults, calling themselves the gnostics, pondered this very question. They decided that God must exist in another level of reality filled with gods (presumably each with their own attendant universes, functions or other such divine pastimes) and above that reality was yet another supra-divine being whom God himself worshipped.

The endless chain that this invokes though led to this rather convoluted philosophy never really catching on.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 05:51 am
Quote:
The endless chain that this invokes though led to this rather convoluted philosophy never really catching on.

Hehe.. I can see why.
0 Replies