Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:37 am
Einherjar wrote:
Both whaling and fishing should be banned in international waters.quote]

.. International waters? Which are they? And how do we define "national" waters? There is no boundary between the two.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
einharjer said
Quote:
Both whaling and fishing should be banned in international waters. Provisions should then be made in the WTO, allowing countries to sanction other countries for overexploiting stocs of marine resources in which they share. I'm sure agreements would then be reached.

Id like to agree with you that this could be a start. However, there is one glaring fact however, while we dont fuly understand the breeding patterns of whales, or what density they must maintain to continue species viability, we do understand when whales venture into waters that border countries.
Like, rightnow in the Bay of Fundy, we have4 and maybe 5 species of whales. They arrive in late spring , and leave around September. They are sitting ducks to the " no whaling in international waters" We know that there are several hotspots across the globe where whales congregate at times of the year. If I wanted grey or pacific blues, Id hangout in The SEa Of Cortez and pick em off like puppies in a cage.

I dont think that , like our own lame excuse for not following Kyoto, we should let that error in judgement stand as a "counterweight" for an equally cynical environmental policy.

As far as there being enough minkes to go around, Im dubious that your whaling advocates have the scientific basis to know the replacement stats for the population since, if its hardly been fished at all, wheres the population pressure data?

Whales have an exceptionally long gestation period, even minkes. They also have a care period for their young that make the young vulnerable for up to 2 years . predation on the young accounts for many losses , (And, from a Discovery channel program about killer whales) , the scientists studying grey whales have seen that killers have "learned" a number of successful predation schemes to remove the young of larger species and these involve team hunting. The grey whale population cannot take further depletion from hunting,

Id hate the various whales to go extinct because some Norwegian, Finn or Japanese wants some exotic flavor.

As an American, I must say that it feels good to ascend to the moral high ground on something and be able to preach to the masses , well maybe the diminimasses.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:29 am
msolga wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
Both whaling and fishing should be banned in international waters.

.. International waters? Which are they? And how do we define "national" waters? There is no boundary between the two.

I think it's 200 miles from the nearest coastline, but it might have been extended to 250. Anyway, there are agreements in place as it stands establishing economic exclution zones for coastal nations.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:02 am
farmerman wrote:
einharjer said
Quote:
Both whaling and fishing should be banned in international waters. Provisions should then be made in the WTO, allowing countries to sanction other countries for overexploiting stocs of marine resources in which they share. I'm sure agreements would then be reached.

Id like to agree with you that this could be a start. However, there is one glaring fact however, while we dont fuly understand the breeding patterns of whales, or what density they must maintain to continue species viability, we do understand when whales venture into waters that border countries.
Like, rightnow in the Bay of Fundy, we have4 and maybe 5 species of whales. They arrive in late spring , and leave around September. They are sitting ducks to the " no whaling in international waters" We know that there are several hotspots across the globe where whales congregate at times of the year. If I wanted grey or pacific blues, Id hangout in The SEa Of Cortez and pick em off like puppies in a cage.

But then you would at least have economic incentive to manage the whale stocs, and with large numbers of large whales congregated in a small area whale watching ought to be lucrative.

farmerman wrote:
I dont think that , like our own lame excuse for not following Kyoto, we should let that error in judgement stand as a "counterweight" for an equally cynical environmental policy.

I'm not following you, sorry.

farmerman wrote:
As far as there being enough minkes to go around, Im dubious that your whaling advocates have the scientific basis to know the replacement stats for the population since, if its hardly been fished at all, wheres the population pressure data?

As I understand the minkes were hunted quite extensively in the late 60's, early 70's, reducing the population considerably. The population has since rebounded, and has been growing in recent years even while being hunted. (hunting was resumed in 93)

farmerman wrote:
Whales have an exceptionally long gestation period, even minkes. They also have a care period for their young that make the young vulnerable for up to 2 years . predation on the young accounts for many losses , (And, from a Discovery channel program about killer whales) , the scientists studying grey whales have seen that killers have "learned" a number of successful predation schemes to remove the young of larger species and these involve team hunting. The grey whale population cannot take further depletion from hunting,

We're not hunting grey whales. The gestation period of north atlantic minkes is 10 months if I remember correctly, and nursing lasts for another 6.

farmerman wrote:
Id hate the various whales to go extinct because some Norwegian, Finn or Japanese wants some exotic flavor.

The north atlantic minke is not endangered.

farmerman wrote:
As an American, I must say that it feels good to ascend to the moral high ground on something and be able to preach to the masses , well maybe the diminimasses.

Enjoy <snigger>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:32 am
I looked up gestation periods. Its 11 months for a minke and then 6 months nursing. Its still a period of almost 1 .5 years that is the replacement period for a minke. mDNA studies have shown that even minkes have declined in an amount greater than realized. The stocks have been depleted so that remaining DNA lines are "back estimated" to a pre whaling size and , while not endangered and presently stable, at least 3 germ lines had been severely reduced.
BTW Iceland only resumed minke hunting in 2003 in response to an overall depletion of all marine resources including cod and hake etc.Their excuse ws that minkes have been depleting the cod stock so we now hunt minkes.
That sounds like an old military saying rom my youth
"we kill people so that we can save them"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
oh yeh, I said
Quote:
Basically what Im saying is that, just because US is doing something stupid(Kyoto) , you cant use that as an excuse for the rest of the world to do something equally stupid(resume whaling by targeting and depleting yet another species).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:49 am
Einherjar wrote:
msolga wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

I think it's 200 miles from the nearest coastline, but it might have been extended to 250. Anyway, there are agreements in place as it stands establishing economic exclusion zones for coastal nations.

The trouble, of course, is that whales do not understand & stay put within these boundaries. There is no such thing as a "Japanese", "Norwegian" or "Australian" whale. They migrate & move about the oceans. One nation's whaling industry could be killing off whales born & bred in protected/sanctuary conditions. Anyway, the purpose of these agreements is not to protect whales, but the commercial interests of the nations concerned.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:02 am
farmerman wrote:
I looked up gestation periods. Its 11 months for a minke and then 6 months nursing. Its still a period of almost 1 .5 years that is the replacement period for a minke.

I thought it was 10 months for atlantic minke, and 14 months for antarctic minke.

With catches of 0.6% of the population anually, I don't see much of a problem though.

farmerman wrote:
mDNA studies have shown that even minkes have declined in an amount greater than realized. The stocks have been depleted so that remaining DNA lines are "back estimated" to a pre whaling size and , while not endangered and presently stable, at least 3 germ lines had been severely reduced.

Meaning studies have shown that there were more minkes in the oceans centuries ago than we had estimated. It doesn't provide any new information concerning the development of these populations in the last thirty years. How is this data relevant? I thought the idea was to maintain a viable population of minkes, not to bring the population back to ancient levels. If we in cooperation with neighboring countries decided to keep the population in check, neither growing nor declining, why should that be a probem?

farmerman wrote:
BTW Iceland only resumed minke hunting in 2003 in response to an overall depletion of all marine resources including cod and hake etc.Their excuse ws that minkes have been depleting the cod stock so we now hunt minkes.
That sounds like an old military saying rom my youth
"we kill people so that we can save them"

Iceland recieves about 90% of it's foreign exchange earnings from exporting fish and fish products, they have a vested interest in preserving commercial stocs of marine resources and a hell of a lot of attention being paid to population data. If they want to keep certain populations in check, tuning the ocean to produce the maximum economic output, I think they should be allowed to. They're not about to exterminate any species, just slow/stall the growth of the minke population.

They have experienced some depletion of fish stocs due to a more agressive approach to fishing than the norwegian one, harvesting closer to the calculated maximum yeald of stocs leaving smaller margins of error. Also any rapid adjustment in their fish quota's shakes up their entire economy, leaving their fisheries policy less flexible than ours. They are notorious for demanding that others reduce their catches, withile refusing to reduce their own, and have been since the cod wars of the 70's. Overall I'd consider them to be among the more responsible nations with respect t fisheries though.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:07 am
farmerman wrote:
oh yeh, I said
Quote:
Basically what Im saying is that, just because US is doing something stupid(Kyoto) , you cant use that as an excuse for the rest of the world to do something equally stupid(resume whaling by targeting and depleting yet another species).

Oh, that wasn't what I was trying to do. I meant to say that even disagreeing with a countries policies, intervention is not always apropriate. Sort of a states rights argument, but on an international level.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:48 am
msolga wrote:
Einherjar wrote:
msolga wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

I think it's 200 miles from the nearest coastline, but it might have been extended to 250. Anyway, there are agreements in place as it stands establishing economic exclusion zones for coastal nations.

The trouble, of course, is that whales do not understand & stay put within these boundaries. There is no such thing as a "Japanese", "Norwegian" or "Australian" whale. They migrate & move about the oceans. One nation's whaling industry could be killing off whales born & bred in protected/sanctuary conditions. Anyway, the purpose of these agreements is not to protect whales, but the commercial interests of the nations concerned.

But that would go a long way though, wouldn't it. I mean, what we have here is the age old tragedy of the commons, where the cost of something may outweigh it's benefit, but where the cost is shared collectively while the benefit is kept by the person or persons who make the choice wether to do that something or not. Like if a forest is considered common property, and chopping wood there is a free for all. The cost of removing a tree from the forest may at a certain point outweigh the benefit of chopping it, but so long as the tree once chopped is kept by the chopper, the chopper has a personal incentive to chop, resulting in the area getting deforested.

The solution to the tragedy of the commons is property rights, to somehow have the person deciding wether to harvest or conserve shoulder both the cost and the benefit of either desicion. Eliminating the 'commons' of fish in international waters is a start, but off course since marine resources are not bound to one place the cost of depleting stocs is still shared between countries. Some mechanism would have to be devised to make up for this, and this is where the WTO comes in.

Granted the system wouldn't be perfect for your purpouses, but would help, and could be implemented as WTO regulation, which can legitimize sanctions, and thus provide genuine reprecussions. It is sorely needed with respect to management of fisheries at least, and should be implemented for that reason alone.

Still though, countries which share in whale stocs would have tools to protect them, at least to an extent, even when outside of their national waters. A whale watching industry in one country could prevent hunting of those whales even in other countries, by means of WTO (law)suits.

You asked for teeth, the WTO has teeth, and this is how it would get involved. I think it's the best you can hope for.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:51 am
A lot of posts since from you since I last looked, Einherjar. Will have to do some catch up reading before responding.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 06:31 pm
Einherjar wrote:
You asked for teeth, the WTO has teeth, and this is how it would get involved. I think it's the best you can hope for.

Some interesting ideas there, Einherjar, but the WTO is a trade organization. And given everything I've said here already it should be clear why I don't think they're the appropriate organization to protect whales.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
Having WTO guard the whales is like oil companies coming up with an energy policy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:41 am
einherjars quotes
Quote:
Meaning studies have shown that there were more minkes in the oceans centuries ago than we had estimated. It doesn't provide any new information concerning the development of these populations in the last thirty years. How is this data relevant?

It means that entire populations have been depleted over 90% in the last century. There was obviously some "bottleneck" That removed a large number of minke whales from the overall world count. Resources depletion occurs in a locale by locale basis, its not usually a large "round the world" reduction. Iceland had fished out its cod before Canada and the US. Now we have a Cod shortage. Im sure that all these countries are going to agree to some quota that is sustainable , right

Quote:
With catches of 0.6% of the population anually, I don't see much of a problem though.

How will these quotas be distributed? Will you consider the Atlantic minkes into your numbers or only your "local" stock? If you calculate based upon a worldwide number, your own quota may be unsustainable.

Also the technique of marine mammal population estimates are based on a technique called "Distance sampling" which, if youve read anything about, is frought with assumptions and errors if individuals cannot be identified . Ive seen that there may be a significant error in the population size estimates.

Until these things are known with a high degree of accuracy, the whaling countries should learn to eat beef or chicken and quit trying to rationalize this slaughter on a basis of "scientific research" > I think that most of the rest of us can see through this entire sham as nothing more than a novel way to justify exterimination.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
farmerman wrote:
einherjars quotes
Quote:
Meaning studies have shown that there were more minkes in the oceans centuries ago than we had estimated. It doesn't provide any new information concerning the development of these populations in the last thirty years. How is this data relevant?

It means that entire populations have been depleted over 90% in the last century. There was obviously some "bottleneck" That removed a large number of minke whales from the overall world count. Resources depletion occurs in a locale by locale basis, its not usually a large "round the world" reduction. Iceland had fished out its cod before Canada and the US. Now we have a Cod shortage. Im sure that all these countries are going to agree to some quota that is sustainable , right

Doing so would be in their own best interest. I'd still like to see the WTO sanction retaliation against countries over fishing in order to force reductions of catches in neighbouring countries.

farmerman wrote:
Quote:
With catches of 0.6% of the population annually, I don't see much of a problem though.

How will these quotas be distributed? Will you consider the Atlantic minkes into your numbers or only your "local" stock? If you calculate based upon a worldwide number, your own quota may be unsustainable.

I calculate Norwegian catches (600) based upon the north east Atlantic stock (70,000-186,000). Catches are below one percent even if you adopt the low number. Icelandic whaling would primarily harvest the central north Atlantic stock. These stocks blend of course, but the overall scope of Norwegian whaling shouldn't deplete the average population of whales feeding in Norwegian waters in the course of a year. Basically the whales should be putting on more weight in Norwegian waters than Norwegian quota's permit catching.

farmerman wrote:
Also the technique of marine mammal population estimates are based on a technique called "Distance sampling" which, if you've read anything about, is frought with assumptions and errors if individuals cannot be identified . I've seen that there may be a significant error in the population size estimates.

True, but the model employed to calculate catch quota's takes this uncertainty into account.

farmerman wrote:
Until these things are known with a high degree of accuracy, the whaling countries should learn to eat beef or chicken and quit trying to rationalize this slaughter on a basis of "scientific research" > I think that most of the rest of us can see through this entire sham as nothing more than a novel way to justify exterimination.

The "scientific research" crap is dumb, but that is neither the case I am making, nor a justification employed by the Norwegian government.

Nobody is trying to justify extermination, because nobody is interested in exterminating anything.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:07 am
msolga wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Some interesting ideas there, Einherjar, but the WTO is a trade organization. And given everything I've said here already it should be clear why I don't think they're the appropriate organization to protect whales.

Well, you could always stick with the IWC, fast becoming an agreement not to whale by countries interested in preventing whaling. That organization doesn't have the legitimacy to deal with states that choose to keep whaling, as they will simply lodge a protest or resign from the agreement. It doesn't have the teeth to force compliance either, and it is not about to grow any.

The UN is not about to issue a ban on whaling, they have more important concerns and can't afford to risk their credibility.

The WTO has teeth with which to force compliance, even from non members, as it's primary function is to protect members from unfair trade practices, and that protection would be denied non members. It can also suspend certain protections from members in response to breaches of WTO regulation, and has demonstrated a willingness to do so.

You may not view this as a trade issue, but there certainly are economic issues involved, enough in fact to justify WTO regulation. And any mechanism the WTO could conceivably put in place to punish overfishing of migratory marine life would work in your favour on the whale issue.

It's not like WTO regulation would prevent you from pursuing conservation on an ideological basis in some other forum. You'd be back to square one from there though, as any such forum would be voluntary and thus toothless.

An organization limiting itself to preventing extinction of whale species might gain pretty much universal support, but an organization seeking to maximize whale populations due to the divine nature of whales would soon be reduced to a conservationists club, exerting no influence on any nation not already dedicated to the cause.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:22 am
farmerman wrote:
Having WTO guard the whales is like oil companies coming up with an energy policy.

How could it hurt?

Are you saying that WTO regulation of shared fisheries doesn't have any merrit at all?

I fail to understand why anyone would be against that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:31 am
Australia slams Iceland's whaling plan
August 1, 2005 - 2:15PM/the AGE

Australia has condemned Iceland's plan to kill 39 minke whales for the purpose of scientific research.

Environment Minister Ian Campbell said he was appalled by the move, labelling it as wrong and directly ignoring the wishes of the majority of International Whaling Commission (IWC) members... <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Australia-slams-Icelands-whaling-plan/2005/08/01/1122748563769.html
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 03:25 pm
..there is a doco on TV here tonight like 60mins, reporting that Dolphin is now on the menu in Japan...on ya Japan! Sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 01:52 am
<deep sigh>

Tell us what you find out, KC.
0 Replies