Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:29 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hunting isn't considered a sport here. (Though we've quite some good competitors in shooting sports, wolrd champions as well as in the Olympic Games.)

Slaughtering is regulated in the animal protection laws (state/federal) as well as in variou other by-laws and EU-regulations.

woiyo wrote:
I could have said cow, turkey, or fish. these meats are a natural foundation of human life (except for the Veggies).

We seem to have a different understanding of that than you have.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:31 pm
What is safari in Africa considered? Germans go on safari. They also come to the good old USA to hunt all over our great country. It's a bloodsport, and it isn't easy. The only way it can be easy is if you are either incredibly lucky, or can afford to pay someone to do all the work for you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:38 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What is safari in Africa considered? Germans go on safari. They also come to the good old USA to hunt all over our great country. It's a bloodsport, and it isn't easy. The only way it can be easy is if you are either incredibly lucky, or can afford to pay someone to do all the work for you.

I was sure that we lost our colonies in Africa after WWI. Do you have different sources?

Besides that:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
So may I as a subhuman from a subhuman country quote Article 20a of our constitution (Basic Law):

"The state takes responsibility for protecting the natural foundations of life and animals in the interest of future generations."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:49 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Hunting isn't considered a sport here.

Coming late to this discussion....I have seen quite a few hunting hides in Bavaria (Franconia), and shooters out after hares, etc.

Evidently there is hunting in Bavaria at least.

Italians, now...they will shoot at anything that moves.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:01 pm
Certainly there's hunting here (at this time of the year, you can see hunters all over the country).

I only said that hunting isn't considered as a sport here.

(You e.g. buy in arms shops either sports or hunting arms.)
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
gotta watch those Italians...

Most nations have laws governing animal protection. Germany was the first nation to include, in their Constitution, the fact that animals - sentient beings - do have rights.

Human domination is no excuse, biblically or otherwise, for the exploitation or abuse of animals.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:00 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Certainly there's hunting here (at this time of the year, you can see hunters all over the country).

I only said that hunting isn't considered as a sport here.

(You e.g. buy in arms shops either sports or hunting arms.)

Okay I see.

My understanding of the term is different, that's all.

"Field sports" is a term used here for hunting, shooting, fishing and allied activities.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 06:15 pm
i asume what walter is saying that HUNTING is NOT considered a sport in germany .

as wiki states : "Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), " .

in hunting there is not any TRUE COMPETION , the animal is almost always the loser - unless the hunter is drunk and shoots himself . so there is not any real COMPETITION -
the animal doesn't have a gun in this NON-COMPETITION .
i guess two hunters shooting at each other might be considered as being in a competion and engaging in SPORT - may the best shooter win !

i suppose i might argue that in the olden days of rome , the gladiators and lions were in a COMPETITION ; so they were performing a SPORT - the opponent (the animal) had a fair chance of winning .

in north-america , FIELD SPORTS are games (competitions) played on a FIELD , such as baseball , lacrosse , field hockey .

WIKI :
Quote:
Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:08 pm
Stradee wrote:
gotta watch those Italians...

Most nations have laws governing animal protection. Germany was the first nation to include, in their Constitution, the fact that animals - sentient beings - do have rights.

Human domination is no excuse, biblically or otherwise, for the exploitation or abuse of animals.

Are you vegan?

Otherwise enjoy your prekilled celophane wrapped chicken boob (obviously replicated in the back of the store with that fancy machine they bought off the set of Star Trek).

Even if you are "vegan", you still eat animal protein, even if you don't want to admit it. Spell "denial".

So what's next in the animal rights folks agenda? Perhaps you should pay an extra carbon offset tax to eat meat? How do you let yourselves get this far over the edge of reason?

I can tell you - you read it on the Internet... So I'll say it right here - we need to manage the animal kingdom and the environment. At least here in the US we do manage wildlife - very effectively, for the last 110 years. Hunting and fishing are the (fun) tools with which to do this.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:06 pm
hamburger wrote:
i asume what walter is saying that HUNTING is NOT considered a sport in germany .

as wiki states : "Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), " .

in hunting there is not any TRUE COMPETION , the animal is almost always the loser - unless the hunter is drunk and shoots himself . so there is not any real COMPETITION -
the animal doesn't have a gun in this NON-COMPETITION .
i guess two hunters shooting at each other might be considered as being in a competion and engaging in SPORT - may the best shooter win !

i suppose i might argue that in the olden days of rome , the gladiators and lions were in a COMPETITION ; so they were performing a SPORT - the opponent (the animal) had a fair chance of winning .

Obviously you have never hunted. The invitation is open as long as you're not a closed minded anti-hunt a--. Do you realize why hunters try to buy and use the best tools available? Because hunting is hard. The animals have every advantage. You have to outsmart them.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Because hunting is hard. The animals have every advantage. You have to outsmart them.

Must be tough for you to be outsmarted so many times. Prolly what make you so vitriolic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
cjhsa wrote:
...The animals have every advantage. You have to outsmart them.

But they can't shoot you dead, like you can shoot them dead can they?

That hardly gives them every advantage over a human with a lethal weapon.

But I'm not really interested in get into the pros & cons of hunting here, so ....

Back later!

(Good grief, I don't know why I even responded with this post .... how stoopid of me! Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:25 pm
Pathetic. Really sad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:27 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Pathetic. Really sad.

No comment! Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:31 pm
msolga wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Pathetic. Really sad.

No comment! Laughing

Of course you don't understand and attempt to spin - it's all you know how to do. Which is what makes you so pathetic.

Perhaps the meek will inherit mother Earth. I give them 5 years before they are extinct.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:46 pm
Even if I could understand what you're trying to say, cjhsa, I don't really want to talk to you while you're like this.

So predictable & boring, these little outbursts of yours. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:22 am
cjhsa wrote:

Obviously you have never hunted. The invitation is open as long as you're not a closed minded anti-hunt a--. Do you realize why hunters try to buy and use the best tools available? Because hunting is hard. The animals have every advantage. You have to outsmart them.

As said, hunting isn't considered as a sport here.

And hunters support our constitution and the animal rights noted in it.

Subhumans like me, they are.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 03:20 am
cjhsa wrote:

I can tell you - you read it on the Internet... So I'll say it right here - we need to manage the animal kingdom and the environment. At least here in the US we do manage wildlife - very effectively, for the last 110 years. Hunting and fishing are the (fun) tools with which to do this.

So American hunters are managing wildlife.

Aha.

I have read too, that they're managing the hell out of the remaining African animals on the safari parks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:22 am
youve given cj something he doesnt deserve--credibility. Hes successfully conflated killing whales with all hunting. Im a hunter and think that killing hwales serves no material, environmental, or humane service. Its a ruse perped by japanes who , for a few slabs of sushi, will send a couple of species (so wonderfully adapted to their niches) to extinction.

And guys like cj will stand around with their thumbs up their butts wondering what happened to their latest sport.
CJ has , so far , unsuccessfully been able to reason his desire to kill whales other than

1 just to watch em die
or some equally inane Evangelical Christian gobbledeegook that

2We have dominion over all animals.

As a hunter, the responsibility to serve as a caretaker is common sense, to maintain the viability of the target species and hunters (responsible ones) take that responsibility seriously.
Most dont buy into the "we have dominion over the woodchucks...' mantra, they (hopefully) recognize such issues as carrying capacity and species viability, loss of habitat etc.

Cj is just a whacko who doesnt represent the hunters I associate with. Hes more a "rush Limbaugh groupie" who makes jokes that poaching of animals is a way of cooking them.
I find him a bit pitiable for not recognizing that hunting carries a responsibility besides "blowing away" whales for fun.

I keep sending money to the Sea Shepherds , and even though theyve been callled enviro terrorists, the ones yelling about the SS , are only those with commercial interests in decimating wildlife .

CJ tried to give me back some of what I gave him by rferring to a thread that he started about killing whales for the "abrbie" (or something like that). The mods shut that one down because CJ was busy calling names at everyone and the thread got rather childish. SO, msolga, as the hostess of this thread, I would advise you to not allowcj to become the the topic of this thread . Its quite an interesting thread and I think we all enjoy it for its information value. Id hate to see it get locked because of someones childish antics.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:28 am
So F-man sends money to the Sea Shepherd, a pirate organization. Argh ye matey! Says a lot.
0 Replies