Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

Stradee

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 05:19 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Stradee, in your honor, I plan to eat at least two different kinds of meat for dinner. Maybe some fois gras. And oh yeah, I just found out that in some of the lower 48 I can buy a wolf tag for cheap, because the state wildlife agencies are sick of dealing with the feds and the likes of your favorite charity on the issue, while the wolves are destroying their livestock and prized trophy hunts. I think I might purchase one. Deal with it.

Wow - those nasty wolves doing what they do best. Keeping herds healthy. Ranchers, working with Defenders were able to raise cattle using a bit of common sense {heard of that, cj.?} and living with wildlife instead of hacking animals to pieces for the fun of it...

So go for it...buy your trophy ticket, and when you meet the old man down the road? I'm willing to bet you won't be able to deal with that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:11 pm
Endymion wrote:
I imagine that frustrations and tempers could easily get out of hand in a situation like this. Any confrontation as impassioned as this - where law and order is being flouted, is a dangerous one.
This is the second time recently that I've been sadly disappointed in Mr Howard's stance. If people die out there, I'd be inclined to lay the blame for that at his doorstep.

To its credit (surprise!), the Australian government has fought long & hard in the IWC to ensure that laws protecting whales are in place. I applaud them for that. However, that's where the support ends. With the Japanese, we rely on "diplomacy" to persuade them to abide by the laws. That's the extent of Australian "action". What's the point of having the laws when IWC member countries can decide for themselves whether to abide by them or no? Or call whale hunting "scientific research" to get around the laws? The new Australian minister for the environment yesterday condemned Sea Shepherd for it's role in the current stand-off in the Southern Ocean. And reiterated Australia's wish that whaling cease. No condemnation of the Japanese whalers. Toothless.

Endymion wrote:
I think that each man has to decide for himself when it's right to intervene in barbaric cruelty - and when it's best to partake.
Personally, I think it's time for 'Man' to realise he is just another part of this complex environment - and that the planet isn't just a table for him to feed off.

Those people are fighting for what they sincerely and passionately believe in - just how many of us have the guts to really do that?

Yes, we're just a part of life on this planet. But boy, what a destructive impact we have! I tend to agree with you about each person (or organization) deciding for themselves how to act in a situation like this. I would argue that the Japanese are being (consistently) more violent, irresponsible & lawless than than Sea Shepherd ever was, or being now now. The more tolerance there is to disregarding international laws protecting whales, the more extreme both groups appear to be becoming. One in openly flouting the laws, the other in attempting to police them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:19 pm
Stradee wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Stradee, in your honor, I plan to eat at least two different kinds of meat for dinner. Maybe some fois gras. And oh yeah, I just found out that in some of the lower 48 I can buy a wolf tag for cheap, because the state wildlife agencies are sick of dealing with the feds and the likes of your favorite charity on the issue, while the wolves are destroying their livestock and prized trophy hunts. I think I might purchase one. Deal with it.

Wow - those nasty wolves doing what they do best. Keeping herds healthy. Ranchers, working with Defenders were able to raise cattle using a bit of common sense {heard of that, cj.?} and living with wildlife instead of hacking animals to pieces for the fun of it...

So go for it...buy your trophy ticket, and when you meet the old man down the road? I'm willing to bet you won't be able to deal with that.

Wow, a 2 meat eating statement of defiance & purchasing a wolf tag for cheap!
You seem to be declaring your right to inflict anything on any animal, cjhsa, if you feel so inclined.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 06:40 pm
Speaking of the IWC (International Whaling Commission) being a toothless tiger ...

Right now dissenting (pro-whaling) members are attending an unofficial meeting (called by the Japanese government) in an attempt to "reform" the organization. No prizes for guessing the "reforms" being mooted. Dismantling the organization unless the get their own way??:

Last Update: Tuesday, February 13, 2007. 10:29pm (AEDT)

Meeting hears IWC should split into hunting, conservation bodies

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200410/r33758_83920.jpg
The IWC meeting in Tokyo has been boycotted by anti-whaling nations like Australia. (File photo) (ABC TV)

There are suggestions the International Whaling Commission (IWC) could be split into separate bodies dealing with whale hunting and conservation.

The idea is being canvassed at a meeting calling on the IWC to be reformed.

Japan invited all 72 members of the IWC to the meeting in Tokyo - but fewer than half have turned up.

Anti-whaling nations Australian and Britain have boycotted the talks.

Iceland's commissioner for whaling, Stefan Asmundsson, is attending the conference and says the boycott may lead to the demise of the organisation.

"The IWC has not been functioning very well for a number of years. It's very polarised," he said.

"I'm hoping that the IWC can have a future, but it's clear that if half the numbers don't want to see IWC functioning at all, then I'm afraid it perhaps will not have much of a future."

The meeting's "mission statement" says the IWC has lost its purpose and has made only a handful of decisions in relation to whale management in decades.

At the meeting today, delegates heard among other proposals for reform, a suggestion to break the IWC into separate regional agencies - or to divide its functions between global whale management and conservation.

Meanwhile, a small protest greeted delegates at the IWC meeting.

The protesters accused delegates from developing nations of being bought off by Japan.

But Shane Rattenbury from Greenpeace says the decision by anti-whaling countries to boycott the talks is right.

"I think it's very important that governments such as the United Kingdom, the United States and Australia are not attending," he said.

"This is not actually an official meeting of the International Whaling Commission.

"It has been called unilaterally by the Japanese Government outside the remit of that body, so the status of this meeting is quite unclear."

The meeting continues until Thursday.

- ABC/BBC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200702/s1847088.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
msolga wrote:
Stradee wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

You seem to be declaring your right to inflict anything on any animal, cjhsa, if you feel so inclined.

Yeah, pretty much. They're tasty.

As far as the old man down the road, once he understands he's been sold a huge lie by the anti-hunter pro-wolfers, he'll be more than happy to sell me the wolf pelts in his garage to go with the one I take, so I can make a nice coat.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:56 pm
nature moves in mysterious ways c
- careful you don't get eaten Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 01:17 am
Endymion wrote:
nature moves in mysterious ways c
- careful you don't get eaten Laughing

Indeed, Endy!

.... or maybe cjhsa will be bitten on the bum by one of those foxes he has it in for! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 07:02 am
The wolf is my guiding spirit. I have been eaten by wolves many times.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 04:52 pm
Wolves to Finally be Delisted

"Deputy Secretary of the Interior Lynn Scarlett announced [on Monday] that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is removing the western Great Lakes population of gray wolves from the federal list of endangered species and is proposing to remove the northern Rocky Mountain population of gray wolves from the list. The two separate actions are being taken in recognition of the success of gray wolf recovery efforts under the Endangered Species Act. "Wolves have recovered in the western Great Lakes because efforts to save them from extinction have been a model of cooperation, flexibility, and hard work," Scarlett said. "This same spirit of collaboration has helped gray wolves in the Northern Rockies exceed their recovery goals to the point where they are biologically ready to be delisted. Gray wolves were previously listed as endangered in the lower 48 states, except in Minnesota where they were listed as threatened. The separate actions...affect the western Great Lakes wolf population, which has been delisted under the ESA, and the proposed delisting of the Northern Rocky Mountains population. Wolves in other parts of the 48 states, including the Southwest wolf population, remain endangered and are not affected by actions taken today." The western Great Lakes delisting will be effective 30 days after publication of the rule in the Federal Register. The FWS will consider the northern Rocky Mountain delisting proposal over the next 12 months and will accept public comments for 60 days after publication of the proposed rule in the Federal Register.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:47 pm
cjhsa wrote:
msolga wrote:
Stradee wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

As far as the old man down the road, once he understands he's been sold a huge lie by the anti-hunter pro-wolfers, he'll be more than happy to sell me the wolf pelts in his garage to go with the one I take, so I can make a nice coat.

cj, and you wonder from the ether why there's an anti-hunting lobby.

Perhaps there's still a gentleman from the forum that's willing to explain to you the facts of life - because little boy - you have no clue.

and btw, if you ever were near enough to a wolf to even get a clear shot, you'd pee your pants.

Reload your imagination.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 06:48 pm
cjhsa wrote:
msolga wrote:
Stradee wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

cj, and you wonder from the ether why there's an anti-hunting lobby.

Perhaps there's still a gentleman from the forum that's willing to explain to you the facts of life - because little boy - you have no clue.

and btw, if you ever were near enough to a wolf to even get a clear shot, you'd pee your pants.

Reload your imagination.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 07:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The wolf is my guiding spirit. I have been eaten by wolves many times.

Ouch!

but why do you want to kill your 'spirit guide'?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 06:56 am
.... Why indeed? You could lose your way, doing that! :wink:

More drama in the Antarctic. Now there's a fire on one of the Japanese whaling ships! (No, not as a result of Sea Shepherd subversion!) & fears that a missing crew member could be dead.
Another fear is that there could be an oil spillage as a result of the ship's troubles. Please, may the may the assurences from the Japanese that this is not so, be correct!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:30 am
Maybe the Farley... could tow the Japanese ship to a safe port for repair.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:34 am
I wish they'd just get the hell out of there! However, in the most recent reports in the Oz media, the Japense say they will continue whaling despite this latest incident.:

...... Steve Corbett, from Maritime New Zealand, says one person is missing, and it is possible he has died in the fire.

"That's our worst fears, that he's in there and that he's been lost to the fire or the effects of it," he said.

He says crew members will not be able to do a proper search for the sailor until tomorrow.

"The visibility when they went in was very [bad], so they weren't able to see much," he said.

"They did report that the temperature was dropping and that the fire was coming under control, so hopefully they'll be able to have a closer look tomorrow."

There are also concerns that up to 1,000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil on board the ship could spill into the ocean.

But Maritime New Zealand has been told there has been no leakage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200702/s1849059.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:40 am
farmerman wrote:
Maybe the Farley... could tow the Japanese ship to a safe port for repair.

In an earlier report today, farmer, Sea Shepherd said they'd help if they could. But they can't. Farley is fast running out of fuel & is now heading back to Melbourne. They haven't enough fuel to go back & help. For a while there it also looked like they wouldn't be allowed to dock at NZ or Oz ports, either.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:53 am
A more detailed account of the situation.:

Ship fire may not stop whaling
Andrew Darby
February 16, 2007/the AGE

THE bizarre fortunes of the Japanese whaling fleet changed again last night when, despite a ship fire, it seemed they could keep on whaling.

After months avoiding anti-whaling activists, and a furious week fending off their attacks, the fire on the world's only factory whaling ship, Nisshin Maru, yesterday led to a call for international help.

One of the crew went missing in the blaze that forced the early morning evacuation of about 120 people on to other vessels in the Ross Sea.

The New Zealand Government said it was worried that up to 1000 tonnes of fuel oil could spill from the disabled ship and rescue authorities could not rule out a sinking.

However the ship's owner, Japanese government agency, the Institute of Cetacean Research, said there was no danger of oil leaking or of the ship going down.

After a fire crew waited for the blaze to die down, it appeared that the damage was limited to one of three freezer areas below the main deck.

The whalers' main concern was the fate of 27-year-old Kazutaka Makita, who was last seen in the area of the fire.

It was also possible that Mr Makita, of Kagoshima in southern Japan, may have fallen overboard into the freezing waters in the rush to evacuate.

ICR spokesman Gabriel Gomez said a decision on the whaling program would be made after the institute had looked for the man.

"But we are looking forward to continuing with our research," Mr Gomez said. "The fire has not damaged the engines and it is not in the processing area. We have other freezer areas."

It was the third emergency involving the whaling fleet in a week. The Nisshin Maru turned to help search for two Sea Shepherd anti-whaling-organisation activists missing in a dinghy for seven hours and a whale spotter ship, Kaiko Maru, sent out a mayday after it was involved in a collision with a Sea Shepherd ship.

The Fisheries Agency of Japan called for urgent co-operation from Australia and New Zealand over the fire.

NZ Conservation Minister Chris Carter agreed with the Australian Environment Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, that help would be given if needed.

"Our priority is to get the Nisshin Maru crew to safety," Mr Carter said. "We are also concerned about the environmental risk if the ship is sufficiently damaged to begin leaking oil."
.. <cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ship-fire-may-not-stop-whaling/2007/02/15/1171405370997.html
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 08:08 am
So sad that country like Australia full of strong willed people can allow itself to be disarmed and then act like such a pussy on the international scale. Politically correct socio-liberalism sucks.

Anyone here ever been hunted by a predator? I have.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 08:26 am
cjhsa wrote:
So sad that country like Australia full of strong willed people can allow itself to be disarmed and then act like such a pussy on the international scale. Politically correct socio-liberalism sucks.

Pardon?

I'm honestly not clear on what you're saying here, cjhsa. And what this has to do with the plight of whales.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:15 am
A Valentines Day message was sent by fax from Greenpeace to the Nisshin Maru - the factory ship of the whaling fleet, which read:

"We Love Japan, but Whaling Breaks Our Hearts! 69 % of your fellow Japanese do not support what you are doing in the Sanctuary and there is virtually no market for what you are producing. The "research" you have been ordered to carry out is not wanted by scientists and the meat is not wanted by the Japanese people. On this Valentine's Day, a day for spreading love, we ask once again that you leave the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary and return to port."

"This is not just frivolous fun. We want to send a clear message that we are not anti-Japanese, we simply oppose whaling," said Junichi Sato, whales campaign leader in Greenpeace Japan. "We know that 69% of Japanese do not support what their government is doing in the Southern Ocean and 95% never or rarely eat whale meat. Whaling does not belong in the 21st Century and the only way forward for the IWC is to start working for the whales and not the whalers." Sato added.

http://www.commondreams.org/news2007/0214-04.htm
0 Replies