Outrage over Japan's plan to slaughter humpback whales

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
Apparently they aren't very good shots...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:29 pm
msolga, thanks so much for posting news articles! Good job! Very Happy

Greenpeace ship tails Japanese whaling fleet
AM - Friday, 6 January , 2006 08:20:00
Reporter: Karen Barlow
TONY EASTLEY: After a lull in the confrontation, the high seas cat and mouse games have resumed between Japanese whalers and the environmentalists from Greenpeace.

For 11 days the Japanese fleet went without killing one whale, but Greenpeace says that in the past 24 hours 13 minke whales have been slaughtered.

The Japanese fleet is hoping to catch more than 900 minke whales and 10 endangered fin whales during their whaling season.

On a satellite phone aboard the Greenpeace ship, Arctic Sunrise, expedition leader Shane Rattenbury spoke to AM's Karen Barlow.

SHANE RATTENBURY: I can assure you they weren't pleased to see us come back over the horizon yesterday afternoon when we caught up with them again. The catcher boats immediately took up a very defensive position around another ship.

I'm not sure what they expected us to do, but they were obviously forming a shield. We just obviously stood back at that point to see what happened next.

The vessels drifted overnight and they've taken off with their whaling again this morning, but certainly with all the fire hoses out and waiting for us to get close enough to be attacked by the fire hoses again.

KAREN BARLOW: Have you seen a change in tactics with the whalers since the resumption of whaling?

SHANE RATTENBURY: No, we've not seen any obvious change in tactics yet although we are expecting it. They're moving very slowly at the moment.

Historically they wouldn't move much faster when they're whaling, so there's things going on but their response to Greenpeace so far has been much the same as we've seen in the past - the fire hoses are out, they are spraying our boats as soon as we get too close, but that's not stopping us from making our efforts to save the whales and prevent them being harpooned.

KAREN BARLOW: Those intervention tactics that Greenpeace is utilising, is that working or putting off the inevitable?

SHANE RATTENBURY: Look, I think the tactics are working to some extent. Certainly a lot less whales have been killed since we arrived and caught up with the fleet, than they would have been.

One tactic that's proving to be most effective for us is we've mounted a water pump, or a fire pump in our inflatable boat and we're spraying water directly into the air in front of the catcher boats which completely obscures their line of sight, and that is proving to be very effective.

But unfortunately on some occasions it's not always working and the whalers are still managing to harpoon some whales. They've of course got a fleet of three catcher boats and it's not possible for us to cover all of those boats with the resources we have available.

TONY EASTLEY: Greenpeace's Shane Rattenbury aboard the Arctic Sunrise in the Southern Ocean speaking to Karen Barlow.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:43 pm
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/archive/060106_Davison_2267sm.jpg

Today ended with a sad and bizarre scene. At first we thought they had missed. Both of our boats were caught far out of position - on the whaler's starboard (right), while the whale was to port (left) and ahead. Then the Hughie (heli pilot) reported blood in the water. A huge amount of blood. The whale had been hit. It was mortally wounded, but for the first time we have seen the harpoon had not set. Our boats fell to the back of the Yushin Maru No. 2, well out of its way - hoping the whalers would end the animal's suffering.
It is an unpleasant oddity, this moment when Greenpeace activists and the whalers want the same thing...the end of a whale's life. We put our boats in the way, we put our safety on the line, we endure freezing cold spray and brutal conditions to protect whales. But after the harpoon hits home, it is only a matter of ending the poor thing's pain. We often see that taking minutes - sometimes five, sometimes ten, sometimes longer. This time it took roughly half an hour.

The whalers reloaded the harpoon and took a second shot. A miss. Then the whale slipped away from all of us. The whalers, our helicopter, everyone. We knew it was dying, in pain and barely able to swim. Another whaling vessel, the Kyo Maru, came to look for it. For a brief twisted period we found ourselves on the same side, both Greenpeace and whalers working together - maybe for different reasons, but I would like to think that they also regretted the animal's pain.

At one point, the whale was seen off our starboard side. Frank (captain) actually called the whalers on the radio to tell them (in no uncertain terms) where to find it, and to finish it.

Well over twenty-five minutes after the first shot we heard the third harpoon, and then saw the man with the rifle fire from the Yushin's deck, finally putting the whale to rest.

I smelt it before I saw it...
by Lally, onboard the Arctic Sunrise
Last night I was standing on deck smiling and waving at the crew on the Esperanza who had just pulled up beside us for the first time in nearly two weeks, when my nostrils started to twitch with the arrival of a new and highly unpleasant aroma. I don't know about everyone else but my sense of smell has sharpened considerably since leaving port. I think it comes from breathing some of the purest air on earth, all be it with an undercurrent of diesel fumes. So there I stood, nostrils twitching trying to work out what the awful smell was. After a quick sheepish look at the underside of my boots I looked around and there behind me was the Nisshin Maru flanked by one of her hunter ships.

The cause of the smell was clarified in a second. It was the smell of death, a mixture of butchers shop and decaying flesh and it was coming from the Nisshin Maru. As I stood and stared, the entrails of what would have been, just a short while ago, part of one of the most
beautiful creatures on earth floated by.

A wave of conflicting emotions overtook me. Suddenly the mental
ware-and-tear of the last two weeks chasing an invisible Armada seemed like an emotional holiday. On one side of me were our friends on the decks of the Esperanza making ever more bizarre gestures as the novelty of waving wore off, including a strange little dance that I guessed was possibly an enactment of the song "Walk like an Egyptian". On my other side was the reason we are here, the looming shape and foreboding smell of the factory ship where the dead whales are processed.

That was all last night and as I type, our inflatable boats have been
lowered into the water and are heading towards the factory ship at full speed. We are about to let them know that once again we have arrived and once again we mean business...
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
Friday 6 January - The action in the Southern Ocean continues as activists follow the trail of blood left by a harpooned minke whale being taken for processing.

http://oceans.greenpeace.org/raw/image_big_teaser/en/photo-audio-video/photos/inflatables-from-the-greenpeac.jpg

The crews sent stunning photographs and video footage to the world. Some of that footage was analysed by the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). IFAW scientist and whale expert Vassili Papastavrou, who watched the footage, said: "We were told by Greenpeace this whale took 10 minutes to die. This is how a whale was killed when the boats were being observed, so what happens when they're not being seen?"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:31 am
Stradee wrote:
...The crews sent stunning photographs and video footage to the world. Some of that footage was analysed by the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). IFAW scientist and whale expert Vassili Papastavrou, who watched the footage, said: "We were told by Greenpeace this whale took 10 minutes to die. This is how a whale was killed when the boats were being observed, so what happens when they're not being seen?"

Yes indeed, what happens when the whaling ships have no observers? Sad
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:07 pm
msolga wrote:
Stradee wrote:
...The crews sent stunning photographs and video footage to the world. Some of that footage was analysed by the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW). IFAW scientist and whale expert Vassili Papastavrou, who watched the footage, said: "We were told by Greenpeace this whale took 10 minutes to die. This is how a whale was killed when the boats were being observed, so what happens when they're not being seen?"

Without diligence from 'pirates' the world would never know the suffering animals endure - for profit. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:51 pm
Stradee wrote:
http://weblog.greenpeace.org/oceandefenders/archive/060106_Davison_2267sm.jpg

Today ended with a sad and bizarre scene. At first we thought they had missed. Both of our boats were caught far out of position - on the whaler's starboard (right), while the whale was to port (left) and ahead. Then the Hughie (heli pilot) reported blood in the water. A huge amount of blood. The whale had been hit. It was mortally wounded, but for the first time we have seen the harpoon had not set. Our boats fell to the back of the Yushin Maru No. 2, well out of its way - hoping the whalers would end the animal's suffering.
It is an unpleasant oddity, this moment when Greenpeace activists and the whalers want the same thing...the end of a whale's life. We put our boats in the way, we put our safety on the line, we endure freezing cold spray and brutal conditions to protect whales. But after the harpoon hits home, it is only a matter of ending the poor thing's pain. We often see that taking minutes - sometimes five, sometimes ten, sometimes longer. This time it took roughly half an hour.

The whalers reloaded the harpoon and took a second shot. A miss. Then the whale slipped away from all of us. The whalers, our helicopter, everyone. We knew it was dying, in pain and barely able to swim. Another whaling vessel, the Kyo Maru, came to look for it. For a brief twisted period we found ourselves on the same side, both Greenpeace and whalers working together - maybe for different reasons, but I would like to think that they also regretted the animal's pain.

At one point, the whale was seen off our starboard side. Frank (captain) actually called the whalers on the radio to tell them (in no uncertain terms) where to find it, and to finish it.

Well over twenty-five minutes after the first shot we heard the third harpoon, and then saw the man with the rifle fire from the Yushin's deck, finally putting the whale to rest.

Here's how my morning newspaper covered that same, sad & tragic incident, Stradee:

Activists aid mercy killing

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/07/wbWHALING_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg
Greenpeace activists try to stop a Japanese whaler from loading a minke whale on Friday.

January 8, 2006

GREENPEACE activists directed Japanese whalers to a floundering minke whale in order to hasten its death, in a 30-minute drama in the Southern Ocean on Friday night.

The slow death of the mammal shot, but not held, by a Japanese harpoon was recorded by Greenpeace activists.

Protesters directed whalers to the floundering animal to end its pain after the Japanese spent half an hour trying to kill it.

At one point, two chasers were involved but it still took three harpoons and a rifle shot to kill the whale.

"This simply underlines the fact that not only is this whaling unjustified and unsustainable, it's barbaric," said Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury.

Mr Rattenbury and other campaigners aboard the ship Esperanza saw the chaser Yushin Maru No. 2 close in on the minke late on Friday night, blocking Greenpeace inflatables as it did. The activists believed the first harpoon had missed the whale, until they saw blood in the water.

"The harpoon glanced against the whale, leaving a significant wound below the dorsal fin," said Mr Rattenbury. "I was watching through binoculars from the bridge, and I saw blood gushing out. It was very heavily injured," he said.

The Greenpeace inflatables dropped back from the Yushin Maru No. 2, while the whale continued to dive and resurface. Aboard Esperanza, activists recorded the event. A photograph posted on the Greenpeace website clearly shows a minke whale at the surface, bleeding profusely, but not attached to a harpoon.

Yushin Maru No. 2 fired a second harpoon that completely missed the whale, and then appeared to lose sight of it. A second chaser, Kyo Maru, joined in attempts to find the minke.

At one point the Esperanza located it, and gave radio directions to the Japanese.

"We wanted to see an end to its pain," Mr Rattenbury said. "They did not acknowledge us. We kept an audio track of the whole event, and it took around 30 minutes."

A third harpoon from Yushin Maru No. 2 held, and the whale was dragged thrashing back to the catcher, where it was finally killed with a rifle shot.

The Japanese harpoons are fitted with explosive grenade heads meant to kill instantaneously.

Comment was sought from a spokesman for the Japanese whaling agency, the Institute for Cetacean Research, without response. The institute refuses to release data on how long minkes take to die in its "scientific" program.

Philosopher Peter Singer said almost 30 years ago in a submission to the Australian Government's Frost inquiry into whaling: "From an ethical perspective, the most blatantly unsupportable aspect of whaling is the slow and painful death inflicted on whales … The fact that … the killing takes place offshore and away from the public may explain how the whaling industry has been able to continue to use such methods for so long, but it cannot justify their use."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:40 am
Last Update: Sunday, January 8, 2006. 6:36pm (AEDT)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200601/r69028_191599.jpg
Hit: Greenpeace says the Nishan Maru is responsible for the collision. (Greenpeace)

Whaler collides with Greenpeace vessel

Tensions have peaked in the Southern Ocean with the collision of a Greenpeace boat with a factory ship belonging to a Japanese whaling fleet.

Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury says the Arctic Sunrise was carrying 25 people when it was hit from behind by the Nishan Maru.

He says no-one was hurt but the Arctic Sunrise has sustained some damage above deck, including a bent mast.

Greenpeace says the Arctic Sunrise had been observing activists onboard inflatable rafts.

Those activists had been painting the words "whale meat from sanctuary" on the side of a Japanese supply vessel.

Mr Rattenbury says the collision appears to be a deliberate move.

"At the time we were over a kilometre from the Nishan Maru," he said.

"It had been tied up with another vessel making transfers.

"It then pulled away, it had to come around the vessel that it had been transferring from and had to head directly toward the Arctic Sunrise.

"There were no other vessels in the area and there was no reason to head towards us - the Arctic Sunrise was virtually stopped at the time."

However, a statement from the whalers blames Greenpeace for the accident.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1543643.htm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 05:59 am
Losing wounded prey is an unfortunate, but inevitable part of hunting. As any respectable hunter would, the whalers finished off the animal once they were able to locate it.

Did anyone consider the possibility the reason the a harpoon hit but didn't hold was because of interference by the anti-hunters? No, of course not.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
cjhsa, did you read the article? of course not

apparently, you've had quite a few hunting 'accidents'.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:47 am
msolga wrote:
Last Update: Sunday, January 8, 2006. 6:36pm (AEDT)

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200601/r69028_191599.jpg
Hit: Greenpeace says the Nishan Maru is responsible for the collision. (Greenpeace)

Whaler collides with Greenpeace vessel

Tensions have peaked in the Southern Ocean with the collision of a Greenpeace boat with a factory ship belonging to a Japanese whaling fleet.

Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury says the Arctic Sunrise was carrying 25 people when it was hit from behind by the Nishan Maru.

He says no-one was hurt but the Arctic Sunrise has sustained some damage above deck, including a bent mast.

Greenpeace says the Arctic Sunrise had been observing activists onboard inflatable rafts.

Those activists had been painting the words "whale meat from sanctuary" on the side of a Japanese supply vessel.

Mr Rattenbury says the collision appears to be a deliberate move.

"At the time we were over a kilometre from the Nishan Maru," he said.

"It had been tied up with another vessel making transfers.

"It then pulled away, it had to come around the vessel that it had been transferring from and had to head directly toward the Arctic Sunrise.

"There were no other vessels in the area and there was no reason to head towards us - the Arctic Sunrise was virtually stopped at the time."

However, a statement from the whalers blames Greenpeace for the accident.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1543643.htm

msolga, another 'scientific' move by the Japanese whaler.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
Another post by an obviously all knowledgable and non-biased individual.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:41 pm
By the way, I did read the articles, and the inflammatory anti-hunt bias in them makes my B.S. radar go nuts.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:48 pm
...and you own a gun? tsk
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
As should everyone.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
msolga wrote:

Much the same I would guess, or do you think the whalers are waisting their time playing cat and mouse?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
Here's how the AGE newspaper reported that incident in today's paper:

Whalers set collision course with Greenpeace ship
January9, 2006/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/08/8narctic_wideweb__470x286,2.jpg
Damage to the bow of Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise.
Photo: Kate Davison

A Japanese ship rams another vessel, apparently deliberately. Andrew Darby heard it as it happened.

"WE'RE going to get hit. Oh ****, this is going to hurt. The captain is calling to brace."

Greenpeace expedition leader Shane Rattenbury was in mid-interview with The Age on a calm Antarctic morning yesterday when the satellite phone call suddenly became a dramatic running account of a collision at sea.

Mr Rattenbury described the scene as the 8000-tonne whaling factory ship Nisshin Maru broke away from a supply ship it had loaded with whale meat and allegedly steered a collision course towards the 949-tonne Arctic Sunrise, the smaller of two Greenpeace ships chasing the whaling fleet.

The incident came as activists from the hardline Sea Shepherd group tried to pounce on the whaling fleet in Antarctic waters far south-west of Perth.

From a distance of about 300 metres, Mr Rattenbury said the Nisshin Maru came at the port side of Arctic Sunrise, which under the rules of the high seas had clear right of way.

"He's coming directly at us from 90 degrees. We're going to get T-boned," he said.

Arctic Sunrise's captain, Arne Sorensen, sounded the ship's horn repeatedly and called on the radio for the Nisshin Maru to swing clear. The factory ship's horn blared in reply.

During the next minute, Mr Sorensen swung away, and Mr Rattenbury seemed hopeful that the two ships would shift to a parallel course. But the black bow of the Nisshin Maru loomed closer.

"They're coming back," Mr Rattenbury said. "We're going to get hit. We're going … Oh ****, this is going to hurt. Brace. The captain is calling for us to brace."

A distinct metallic shudder rang down the telephone line. "We're hit, right in the bow. The foremast appears to be bent … We're going to hit again."

The smaller ship's stern was pushed around by the impact, thumping against the hull of the factory ship. "Now they're turning the water cannon on us," Mr Rattenbury said. "We're getting soaked in the bridge."

The noise subsided and the Nisshin Maru steamed away. Another voice came over the radio from a Greenpeace inflatable already in the water: "There is a big dent about 1.5 metres in the side."

Describing the incident, Mr Rattenbury said there was a sense of disbelief among the Artic Sunrise's crew that the whaling ship would deliberately collide. "It was a clear breach of the rules of navigation at sea," he said.

Earlier in the day, activists in inflatables had "branded" the hull of the supply ship Oriental Bluebird, painting the words "whale meat" on the side.

"It may have been a deliberate attempt to intimidate or damage us," Mr Rattenbury said.

But a spokesman for Japan's Institute for Cetacean Research said the Arctic Sunrise had rammed the Nisshin Maru. "They hit the bow of our vessel, put a hole in the Nisshin Maru and caused considerable damage," the spokesman said. "It's lucky no one was killed." He said the events that led up to the collision were under investigation.

Mr Rattenbury said Greenpeace would consider what formal action to take with the Japanese Government over the incident. He said it was possible the Japanese fleet was alarmed by the appearance of Sea Shepherd's ship Farley Mowat. Its leader, Paul Watson, has repeatedly threatened to attack the Nisshin Maru.

After a check of the Arctic Sunrise, Mr Rattenbury reported that the vessel was not taking water and no one had been injured. Captain Sorensen could be heard again in the background on the radio: "Nisshin Maru, would you read the rules of the road? You are out of your mind."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/whalers-greenpeace-on-collision-course/2006/01/08/1136655086319.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:17 pm
guess that erases all doubt about who the thugs are.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:32 pm

Einherjar wrote:
Much the same I would guess, or do you think the whalers are waisting their time playing cat and mouse?

I strongly suspect that the presence witnesses with cameras & videos on the spot may have tempered the whalers' activities to some extent, Einherjar. Even so this is hardly an acceptable way for for whales to die. It's appalling & unacceptable. :

GREENPEACE activists directed Japanese whalers to a floundering minke whale in order to hasten its death, in a 30-minute drama in the Southern Ocean on Friday night.

The slow death of the mammal shot, but not held, by a Japanese harpoon was recorded by Greenpeace activists.

Protesters directed whalers to the floundering animal to end its pain after the Japanese spent half an hour trying to kill it.

At one point, two chasers were involved but it still took three harpoons and a rifle shot to kill the whale.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
... & if any of you care to go to the Greenpeace & Sea Shepherd internet sites you'll see that that was by no means an isolated incident. Scientific whaling, my boot! I note that the (Oz)ABC news rightly called the Japanese ship a factory ship. Which is precisely what it is: a factory for whale meat.
0 Replies