Why is there not a Laotian Rock Rat conversation going on?

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:22 pm
It's not too often that we find a new mammal on the planet.

Let's talk about the Laotian Rock Rat. It's a very cool-looking rodent.

I'm gonna get two of these bad boys. One to eat, one to keep as a pet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,427 • Replies: 9
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:29 pm
Wow, so, there's no chance it just hadn't been seen as of yet? Are they really saying that it's newly distinguished from other rat species?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:40 pm
Quote:
The first specimens were found for sale as meat at a market in Thakhek, Khammouan in 1996. Remains of three additional animals were obtained in 1998 from villagers and in an owl pellet. Several more animals were trapped in the region.

I found the bit about the owl pellet kind of ironic. How many of you remember my cousin Joe Birdidnick. Remember how he was killed by a pack of wild dogs? Torn to shreds, he was. Barely recognizable after the slaughter. Parts of his body were missing, some obviously in the stomachs of the dogs, others carried off by the small predators that moved in to feast after the dogs.

But anyway, several months after Joe had been slaughtered I was taking a walk out in the woods with my dog and I noticed a bit of red coloring on the ground in front of me. Upon closer examination I realized it was part of Joe's beloved flannel shirt. Just a little patch prortuding from an owl pellet. The pellet was fresh. I glanced upward and there was the owl, sitting on a branch and looking at me with bemusement. It lifted its mighty wings and flew away, saying "Who who who" as it flew.

Maybe it was the heat of the moment, maybe the discovery of Joe's shirt caused my mind to do some crazy things, but it sure sounded like that owl was saying "joe joe joe". Almost as if it were mocking me. I stuffed the little piece of shirt fragment into my pocket and walked home. It now sits on top of my monitor -- a little owl pellet with Joe's shirt fragment protruding. Why does Barbara Streisand's memorable tune "Memories" now pop into my mind?

Damn. I've been rambling again. Let's get back to the Laotian rock rat discussion.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:45 pm
Hiding in plain sight, it was.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:45 pm
This, from today's New York Time

Here's the text....

They live in the forests and limestone outcrops of Laos. With long whiskers, stubby legs and a long, furry tail, they are rodents but unlike any seen before by wildlife scientists. They are definitely not rats or squirrels, and are only vaguely like a guinea pig or a chinchilla. And they often show up in Laotian outdoor markets being sold as food.
Enlarge This Image
R.J. Timmins

Laonastes aenigmamus, or Laotian rock rat, has been identified as a new family of wildlife.

It was in such markets that visiting scientists came upon the animals, and after long study, determined that they represented a rare find: an entire new family of wildlife. The discovery was announced yesterday by the Wildlife Conservation Society and described in a report in the journal Systematics and Biodiversity.

The new species in this previously unknown family is called kha-nyou (pronounced ga-nyou) by local people. Scientists found that differences in the skull and bone structure and in the animal's DNA revealed it to be a member of a distinct family that diverged from others of the rodent order millions of years ago. "To find something so distinct in this day and age is just extraordinary," said Dr. Robert J. Timmins of the Wildlife Conservation Society, one of the discoverers. "For all we know, this could be the last remaining mammal family left to be discovered."

Naturalists had trouble recalling when a new family of mammals was last identified. It may have been when, in the 1970's, a new family of bats was found in Thailand.

Dr. Timmins, who is based in Madison, Wis., but concentrates on research in Southeast Asia, said in an interview that he first came on the animals laid out on market tables. Local farmers and hunters trapped or snared the animals, which they also referred to as rock rats, slaughtered them and took them to market. As far as he knew, Dr. Timmins said, no Western scientists have ever seen a kha-nyou alive.

Dr. Timmins's encounter occurred in the late 1990's, about the time that another scientist, Dr. Mark F. Robinson, independently collected several of the carcasses as specimens. The adults have bodies about a foot long, with a six-inch tail that is not as bushy as a squirrel's. They knew immediately that this was, as Dr. Timmins said, "an oddball rodent."

The specimens were sent for analysis at the Natural History Museum in London by Dr. Paulina D. Jenkins, a zoologist, who compared them with known rodents. Tissue samples were sent to the University of Vermont for DNA studies by Dr. C. William Kilpatrick, a molecular scientist.

Only in the last year were the two scientists, as well as the two discoverers, ready to publish their findings. In the journal article, they wrote that the kha-nyou specimens showed "a unique combination of external and craniodental features as members of a new family, genus and species."

The researchers named the animal Laonastes aenigmamus, but recommended that it be referred to by the common name of kha-nyou or Laotian rock rat. The animals were found in the eastern edge of the Khammouan Limestone National Biodiversity Conservation Area.

Dr. Timmins said he was not tempted to feast on a rock rat and never thought to ask what it tasted like. A trip to the market, he said, made it clear that "in Laos, pretty much everything gets eaten."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 06:52 pm
Ah, it diverged a long long timae ago.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:24 pm
shouldn't this have been posted under : " what did you have for breakfast today ? ". hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:25 pm
Ack!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:38 am
We've had them in Australia for a couple of centuries now...

http://www.hedweb.com/rabbits.jpg

..you want them? Come and get 'em Goatboy!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:49 pm
I have just been into the local hardware store in Gus's hometown and he's been in buying up all the masking tape, duct tape and gaffer tape - guess he must have got a delivery of those rats............
0 Replies