Can Satan Be Forgiven?

neologist

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:30 pm
HEHE. You know there ain't no burning hell. The only fires I get around are in the wood stove. But I sure do enjoy all this jawin' about someplace that don't exist. All this talk about heat has me worn out. Wanna Pepsi? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/pepsi.gif
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:27 pm
neologist wrote:
HEHE. You know there ain't no burning hell. The only fires I get around are in the wood stove. But I sure do enjoy all this jawin' about someplace that don't exist. All this talk about heat has me worn out. Wanna Pepsi? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/pepsi.gif

Thanks for the Pepsi... I hope its diet?

Just making sure I'm clear here: You're a Christian, but you don't believe there is a Hell?

Whats all that Revelations talk that others quoted, etc?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 01:03 am
I'm a Christian who actually reads the bible
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 03:14 am
neologist wrote:
Now you will tell me that he told Eve the truth and we are all so much better off because of his activity in Eden.

Your precognitive abilities astound me.

If you read the story a little more carefully you will see that Satan's plot was foiled by God's early return, the result would have been quite different if mankind had eaten from both trees. Don't believe me?... don't believe Satan?... Fine, take it from the mouth of your deity(s).

God - "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:"

See, our death is only because the process was interupted. Attentive reading teaches us all kinds of things we miss in the cliff notes versions.

Quote:
Jesus refers to him as "the father of the lie" and a murderer. (John 8:44)

I could call you anything I wish, yet I would have to prove it from your actions if I wished to make a case against you. Likewise Jesus may slander Satan however he wishes. Yet what proof is there of the veracity of Jesus' claim?

Quote:
His name means "Resister".
The word devil means "slanderer".

The word can mean resister. However it can also mean prosecution, which was the original usage of the name. For example to quote from a christian source. From the Young Person's bible dictionary (Barbara Smith, 1965):

"Satan. In the O.T., the adversary of men, one who challenges the ways of men or brings them to trial; always subject to God, whose servant he is. 1 Chron. 21:1; Job 1:6-12 Zech. 3:1-2.

In Late O.T. times there arose beliefs in Satan as a definite being, chief of all evil spirits, the adversary of God in a struggle between good and evil (this idea came from Persion beliefs.)"

The mispelling of Persian is included as written.

Quote:
(The fact that they did not die within the same 24 hour period proves nothing as the bible mentions more than once that with God "a day is as a thousand years".)

Yes, one of the more interesting elements of Christianity is the depiction of God as being a little dim when it comes to communicating time periods. Both 2Peter 3:8 and Psalm 90:4 mention this little temporal quirk of his.

Oddly this only seems to crop up when the promises of God fail to come true whether it's justifying Jesus' "I'll be back soon, I promise" or God's "You'll die that same day". Maybe he was just a little distracted by human disobedience or his impending execution and forgot what human time intervals were. The rest of the time he seems able to express himself just fine.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:08 am
Marquis de Carabas wrote:

If you read the story a little more carefully you will see that Satan's plot was foiled by God's early return, the result would have been quite different if mankind had eaten from both trees. Don't believe me?... don't believe Satan?... Fine, take it from the mouth of your deity(s).

God - "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:"

See, our death is only because the process was interupted. Attentive reading teaches us all kinds of things we miss in the cliff notes versions.
You do thorough work; I'm sorry not to have been convinced. God was most certainly aware of Eve's transgression even as it happened. The effect on Adam and Eve's consciences was immediately manifested by their covering themselves.

As for the story of Job, Satan makes the same claim with regard to all of us.

So who is the god of this world?
0 Replies