IDF kills two Israelis in case of mistaken identity

frolic

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 09:41 am
Quote:
IDF forces shot dead two Israeli security guards near a Hebron-area West Bank settlement Thursday afternoon, apparently believing them to be terrorists.

The army said it had received warnings of a possible terror attack in the area and that the two Israelis had not heeded soldiers' calls to stop. The IDF Spokesman expressed regret and is conducting an investigation into the incident, which took place at 1 P.M. on a road east of the Pnei Hever settlement, close to the Zif Highway junction.

At the time of the shooting, one of the victims - who were in charge of guarding an antenna used for research and development on a hilltop in the area - had pulled over to the side of the road to make some coffee, and the other one began driving away.

Soldiers had been searching for Palestinians whom army intelligence had reported were planning to attack an Israeli vehicle on the road leading to Pnei Hever. An elite lookout force noticed the armed security guard in the car and called for help from shooters on the ground.

The soldiers said they called on the guard to stop. According to several reports, he stopped and got out of the car, after which he was shot dead. According to other reports, he was shot as soon as he began driving.

In either case, the second security guard heard the shots and began running to his aid when an Air Force helicopter fired a rocket and killed him.

It was intially believed that the shooting was an ambush attack in which Palestinians disguised as soldiers had opened fire on an Israeli car.

The army has beefed up forces and gone on special alert in and around Hebron in recent days, after a series of Palestinian attacks on settlers and soldiers in the flashpoint city.

This shows again the eager trigger fingers of the IDF. Like i stated before IDF kills at will!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 8
No top replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:16 pm
Of course, it does. The security guards were armed and they did not hear the soldiers' calls to stop. They were confused with terrorists and were erroneously shot down. It was a tragic mistake that would never happen if the guards were unarmed or submitted the command to stop and to get rid of arms.
What did Frolic want to prove? That IDF deliberately kills Israelis? What will be the next accusations: maybe Frolic will indict Israeli army in performing terror attacks on Israeli civilians, instead of Hamas/Islamic Jihad/Tanzeem?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:19 pm
Why don't you ask him?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:40 pm
That is what I do. I do not know if he/she will respond, but there are all the possibilities for Frolic to respond my posting. The information about the event has appeared several hours ago on the Israeli TV, and the commanders plan to investigate it and if the army instructions were breached by the soldiers, the trespassers will be punished. But primary comments support the version of a tragic accident.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 03:50 pm
IMO This proofs that the IDF shoots at everything that moves and they make no difference at all between freedomfighters, children, women and now Israeli.

Like is said, they have eager trigger fingers and kill at will with no respect to any international norm. Isn't there a rule on "Selfdefence". Where the soldiers threatened? Was the helicopter crew endangered?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:37 pm
Quote:
Soldiers had been searching for Palestinians whom army intelligence had reported were planning to attack an Israeli vehicle[/color][/b] on the road leading to Pnei Hever. An elite lookout force noticed the armed[/color] security guard in the car and called for help from shooters on the ground.

IMO, this explains everything. An armed security guard, by the way, the Israeli reserve service officer himself not in active duty, was confused to a terror suspect.
I do not agree that the armed[/b] Palestinians should be called freedom fighters. The term "terrorist" describes them more adequately.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 01:40 am
I make the distinction. When Palestinians attack IDF or the settlers occupying their land i call them freedomfighters. When they attack disco's, Busses, ... in Israƫl i call them terrorists.

Whats the difference between the resistance and partizan movements during WWII and the Palestinians trying to free their occupied land?
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:21 am
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) expressed alarm and dismay Thursday at the increasing number of civilians being killed or wounded in terrorist attacks as well as in IDF operations in the territories, and called on both sides to protect the lives of civilians.

The ICRC stressed that indiscriminate attacks and acts of reprisal against civilians and their property are strictly prohibited by international humanitarian law. The ICRC statement came one day after a defense establishment report gave the number of Palestinians killed since the eruption of the intifada as 1,945, including 365 civilians not connected to terrorism.

You see, even the ICRC places the palestinian so called terrorist actions and the IDF actions on the same level. They both kill at will.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 02:24 am
Israel Defense Forces troops on Friday opened fire on a house in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank used as a hide-out by Islamic Jihad militants, killing six Palestinians.

The deaths raised to 11 the number of Palestinian militants killed in Israeli operations in and around the city of Jenin in the past 24 hours.

=> How can they be sure that all these men were Hamas fighters?
0 Replies