Religion/violence/location ratio

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:06 am
Are the most violent places in the world, known to be religious?
I know there have been bombs in Spain recently but hot holiday destinations arnt known to be places for terrorism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 875 • Replies: 10
No top replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 02:12 am
Places where various religions clash tend to be violent.

Jerusalem. Israel. Middle-East. India (Muslim-Sikh-Hindu)

Plenty others like these spots I'm sure others can add. Religious extremism of any sort seems to breed violence. Especially when 2 different religious extremist groups are in contact with one another--look out.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 04:21 am
I agree with exm. The clash of ideals creates the most unrest. After all, if you can't convince 'em with words, you can always try a pipe bomb or two. Sad
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:11 am
Yes, unfortunately religion tends to cause massive amounts of violence, bigotry, hatred and persecution.

Oddly enough people think you a boorish uncouth if you criticise it.

People are distinctly peculiar.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:37 am
We are indeed.

Religion to me should conjure up images of peace and harmony, yet more realistically it shows intolerance and violence.
Surely all Gods love everybody.No one God is better than the other.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:56 am
It could be the other way around, too. That volatile areas have more of a need for religion. If you have a real fear that you'll die tomorrow...
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:57 am
material girl wrote:
Religion to me should conjure up images of peace and harmony.

"Should and could trip the feet, but is makes the path smoother."

I agree. Religion in an ideal world would be about peace, harmony and love.
Never seems to work out that way though.

Quote:
yet more realistically it shows intolerance and violence. Surely all Gods love everybody.No one God is better than the other.

You know, that's what I thought the whole idea of it was too. Odd how people talk about these loving gods condoning mass murder and haterd.
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:30 am
material girl wrote:
Religion to me should conjure up images of peace and harmony, yet more realistically it shows intolerance and violence.

In Matthew 10:33 Jesus says "35. Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth, but a sword. 36. For I have come to set a man against his father and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter-in-law agianst her mother-in-law."

This isn't litterally saying that he's going to bring a 'sword' or war or something, but it's saying that everything isn't gonna be peachy. I don't have physical fights with people or wars because of religion, but I disscuss it in everyday life such as this forum.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:33 am
M!-My god!!How can we have got it so wrong!!Didnt the 'powers that be' know that it was gona be discovered.

Fair enough, I dont expect the world to be wonderful all the time but why use religion to promote good will to all men when its not about that!!
0 Replies

MiTHoS

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:55 am
material girl wrote:
Fair enough, I dont expect the world to be wonderful all the time but why use religion to promote good will to all men when its not about that!!

It says to be good to people and whatnot, but it's how the people respond that can make the strife.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 10:18 am
will Durant wrote:
We can only mourn over the absurdities for which men have died, and will.
0 Replies