Hetrosexism

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:16 pm
By paul andrew bourne

If society is fashioned by various agents of socialization, and peoples gain their definition of expectations of such happenings from those institutions; is there a particular ideology that is sole true, and why is hetrosexism the norm in society?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,603 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:20 pm
Did you make that word up?

Come on . . . yer pushin' my leg, right ?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:01 pm
Interesting.
I learned something new today. It was slightly misspelled in the original post, but it is a word.

From dictionary.com:

"het·er·o·sex·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ht-r-skszm) n.
Discrimination or prejudice against lesbians or gay men by heterosexual people."

Interestingly it kind of means the opposite of what many might expect.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:03 pm
Heterosexism is a word, however, hetrosexism is not. Quite apart from which, the mini-screed above speaks volumes about the thought processes of someone who would write "hetrosexism" in a context which surely calls for the word heterosexuality. In brief, the author of this thread is long on prejudice and short on learning.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:07 pm
Well,

Now when I call someone a "heterosexist" at least I'll know better what I am calling them.

Hey, why all the gay questions on here lately?

not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm not a heterosexist or anything. Though I'd like to think I'm heterosexual.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:53 pm
I'm not quite sure what the question is. Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:35 pm
I believe that amidst the wandering incoherence is an attempt at a rhetorical question about homosexuality--to wit, is it not abnormal, and "ideologically" unacceptable.

Note the confused attempt to suggest that heterosexuality is the norm. I don't deny that it is the norm, i'm just pointing out how difficult it is to be certain exactly what this is supposed to mean.

That is a nugatory statement--about 85% of the population are right handed. By logic such as this, "right-handedness" is the norm, and left-handed people are ideologically unacceptable.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:40 pm
Heterosexuals are accepted because god created adam and eve so that was an example for many people but now society has lost a lot of its religious base which in some cases is good and others bad but we still see how important men are to women and women are to men. For example people that are married and are heterosexual tend to live longer then say someone that is homosexual.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:45 pm
May we all be preserved from religious fanatics and other unfettered lunatics . . .
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Discreet wrote:
Heterosexuals are accepted because god created adam and eve so that was an example for many people but now society has lost a lot of its religious base which in some cases is good and others bad but we still see how important men are to women and women are to men. For example people that are married and are heterosexual tend to live longer then say someone that is homosexual.

Hi D.,

Hey, I was wondering something for a long time and I bet you know the answer:

You know when Adam & Eve were created? How did their kids have kids without there being incest?

I got about 20 more Bible questions to ask you such as is it okay to sleep with your daughters, stone your son to death at the edge of town if he disobeys, gouge out your eye and cut off your hand if they offend you, and plenty of other stuff...

But that incest thing would be a good start. How'd Adam & Eve's offspring have kids without interbreeding?

And didn't that all happen again when Noah took only a pair of animals in his boat?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:04 pm
Setanta wrote:
May we all be preserved from religious fanatics and other unfettered lunatics . . .

Amen. I take back everything I said about you. Setanta, I love you man (no not in that way). We gotta stick together somewhat (at least loosely) against the unfettered lunatics.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:24 pm
It's certainly convenient that heterosexuality is the norm in our society (meaning that the majority of the members of our society are heterosexual), since otherwise nobody would reproduce and we'd die out. That's probably why heterosexuality is sort of a trend in our society. Not that I have anything at all against homosexuality - I'm just answering the question of why heterosexuality is "the norm."
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:13 pm
Re: Hetrosexism
paul andrew bourne wrote:
why is heterosexism the norm in society?

I come from a four billion year chain of ancestors who all managed to successfully reproduce. For whatever reason choosing to engage in behaviour unlikely to end in my reproduction is going against a long family history.
0 Replies