Garden Ornaments of Oz: Flamingos? Gnomes? Wild Geese?

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:14 am
What is the Australian version of the Pink Flamingo? The Garden Gnome? The plastic pinwheel?

Or are Australian Gardeners people of impeccable taste?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,317 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:17 am
Does Australian soil lack nutritious minerals?
I have heard that since Australia is such an old continent, the Australian soil lacks minerals required for human health> Consequently, all residents must take massive supplements to compensate for this deficiency.

True or false?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:50 pm
False.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:11 pm
I thought it sounded peculiar, but not nearly as peculiar as two questions on one thread. Life is hard for the absent minded.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:13 pm
True, but only if they are to develope normally.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:15 pm
How about the plywood bent over granny? Got those?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:30 pm
No.

WHAT???!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:38 pm
I am no expert in garden ornamentation - but I think we have the usual flamingoes and dwarves. However, we also have kangaroos and emus and other native fauna.

My best friend has had, outside her front doors, for the last 28 years, a pair of flamingo legs - rusty and set in concrete, with little flamingo feet attached.

I gave them to her. A housemate of mine was making some sort of installation piece, which included a number of brightly painted flamingoes, piled on top of each other. They were collectively known as "Offenbach."

Naturally, this meant there were spare sets of legs. My friend was fascinated by them, for some reason. So, once the choice of legs for the artwork was finally made, I secured a pair of Offenbachs' spare legs for her.

When new visitors through the years have asked her what on earth they are doing in front of the door - she just says airily: "Them? Oh, they are Offenbachs' spare legs."

And never another word of explanation is given...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:53 pm
I like the idea of being the only house in the Poconos with Emus peeking through the shrubbery.

Bent over Granny/fat woman weeding is two dimensional from a rear view.

I had a dear friend from the south. They used to award each other the Pink Flamingo Flock to any lawn that needed mowing. There are 30 flamingos to a flock.

Roger--

Do you mean There May Be Hope?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 04:58 pm
Did I ever tell you the story about the guy down the block? One year, when he put up his Christmas decorations, he had Santa and his sleigh on his lawn, pulled by eight pink flamingos! Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:46 pm
Yes, Noddy, if they take the right supplements in goodly quantity, they may turn out alright, after all.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:53 pm
I live in hope.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:07 pm
My neighbors had a large and rather colorful lawn ornament . . . but then the apartment complex management called a wrecker and had it towed away . . .
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:26 pm
When I lived in Brooklyn I overlooked a garden where a lady had a collection of toilets (14 at last count) - she potted them up with a colorful array of nasturiums, geraniums and even a couple of tomato plants.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 07:51 pm
One of the local church youth groups has a bedecked toilet which they use for fund raising purposes. You can pay to have it installed on someone else's yard; you can pay to have it removed and you can pay to avoid having it installed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:05 pm
Oh, the horror! The horror!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:45 pm
I have a particularly tasteful concrete reclining lion in my garden, just beside the front door. He has a scarf, unfortunately in the colours of some football team or other, placed there by a fanatical friend. He used to have just a plaid ribbon - just so re-feened, you know!

When I first put him there, the neighbours used to conduct excursions of families, friends, and god-know-who-else, down the drive to look at this odd thing.

Australians never aspire to be normal - we're so much better than that already! And without vitamins!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:48 pm
What about vegemite . . . could you do without vegemite ?

I suspect i could . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:50 pm
I do.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 05:06 pm
I don't - haven't tried to see if I could.......
0 Replies