Proud to be a [Philosophical] Materialist

agrote

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:22 am
Ray wrote:
Our consciousness is merely the brain? I don't agree with this statement. The brain causes consciousness to arise, but it is not the consciousness itself.

It's like the roundness of a ball. A ball is round - it has roundness. But the ball is not the same as roundness; it's not true that (the ball = the ball's roudness). Instead, the roudness of the ball is constituted by the ball, but roundness isn't really a thing - it's just a concept - so the ball is nto roundness itself.

In the same way, consciousness is constituted by the brain, but consciousness does not equal the brain. Consciousness isn't really a thing, it's a property of brains - just as roundness is a property of balls.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 07:24 am
extra medium wrote:
Q.: Why you so friggin proud about it??? Twisted Evil

To spite the muslims in the Islamic Creationism thread who kept talking about materialism as if it was a bad thing, like fascism or something.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:55 am
fredjones wrote:
extra medium wrote:
Oh, did you think I was done?

Okay, congratulations on your P. Materialism.

Perhaps you can answer a simpler question about it:

Are you referring to me? I can only assume you are.

I am proud of any hypothesis that furthers my understanding of the world. I don't think I said I was proud of this particular one, but ok now I'll say it. I'm proud. Now what?

My question to you, why does this make you so defensive? No one is attacking you personally. No need to get upset.

Not upset, sir!

I was just testing your theories to see if it was tight, what it was made of, if you had thought it through.

Sorry if my questions seemed hardball or something...I just wanted to know how the philosophy explained certain aspects...

And my question re: "Why you so proud?" was directed at agrote (just ribbing him). Because when someone posts "I am proud to ______" (whatever), they are almost begging for it.

Kind of like your thread where you posted "And if you can't prove me wrong, I'm right!" (LOL--that was funny, til you started getting bent out of shape when people tried to prove you wrong! Twisted Evil )

Anyway, materialism and all its "stuff" is wonderful. I can see the attraction it has for certain kinds of people (that is not a put-down okay, so don't get defensive!)

Have a great time with it! Razz
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 11:56 am
agrote wrote:
extra medium wrote:

To spite the muslims in the Islamic Creationism thread who kept talking about materialism as if it was a bad thing, like fascism or something.

hee hee hee. Understood.

You prideful materialists might want to keep somewhere in the back of your brain-state/molecules, whatever:

"Pride comes before a Fall."

Then again, not necessary. Material will carry on regardless of rise or fall.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 02:08 am
extra medium

It is fascinating to see so many intelligent people using so many intelligent ideas, in order to demonstrate that there are no ideas or intelligence.
Perhaps this is the reason Heidegger said that he admired the amount of idealism needed to create a materialist theory.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:31 am
val wrote:
extra medium
It is fascinating to see so many intelligent people using so many intelligent ideas, in order to demonstrate that there are no ideas or intelligence.
Perhaps this is the reason Heidegger said that he admired the amount of idealism needed to create a materialist theory.

Yes. I find the interesting thing to be: Its material (humans) looking at material, convincing itself that yes its material but its somehow different material than say, the material of a bedspread.

Oh well, I wash my hands of it.

In any event, material doesn't care one way or another, one supposes.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:15 am
Bedspreads don't have neurons.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 05:30 am
Material has thought.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:13 pm
immaterial my dear Watson
0 Replies

Marquis de Carabas

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:35 am
extra medium wrote:
Its material (humans) looking at material, convincing itself that yes its material but its somehow different material than say, the material of a bedspread.

Well, it seems my services are required yet again.

Bedspread. A thin usually flat material used over the top of a matress to provide comfort. Can be made either from the tufted seed-pods of plants or synthetic materials extruded as polycarbons, or even a blend of both.

Human. An ambulatory material of self-regulating warmth belonging to the primate family.

Whilst the two can be confused because of their frequent colocation on top of matresses, you can usually tell the difference from the fact that humans don't fit quite so well to the shape and size of the matress. Despite this fact humans continue to find humans more appealing to lie on top of than bedspreads. One of life's little mysteries.

Object differentiation, a valuable skill, formerly thought to be an innate human ability.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:25 pm
Marquis de Carabas

Quote:
Human. An ambulatory material of self-regulating warmth belonging to the primate family.

The best definition of "human" I've seen since Plato's "unfeathered biped" Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:03 am
.. how unflattering...
0 Replies