The line between harmless teasing and insult

Ray

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:34 pm
It's frustrating to see that people make fun of each other but yet if they say it directly or have it said directly to them, feelings are hurt. It's also common that sometimes people do tease about each other's actions but to what extent is it an insult?

I think that making fun of people's character is an insult. What I meant by that is if one is making fun of a person's flaw as if the flaw is the person or a permanent part of a person. However, making fun of something funny that a person had done(to a certain extent) I don't consider an insult as long as the person don't degrade me.

Am I right in saying this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 769 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:21 am
Ray, yes, you are absolutely correct. The main thing is to make certain that the person to whom you are speaking understands that it's all in fun. Often, through certain language barriers, the intent is missed and an individual can feel wounded.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:24 am
I say scew em if they can't take a joke. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 07:44 am
Hey, Ray. Someone is having a party so it's your chance to make your point:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51175
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:17 am
Ray - Great thread.

I also think that people often 'choose' to be insulted.

Like if a jest was too funny - and then they get all pissed. They are choosing to be insulted.

TTF
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 11:51 pm
I think that when someone "chooses" to be teased, they are making fun of something that they know isn't them. At least that's how I see it.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:10 am
I think it's harmless as long as they know they can insult you back. There is nothing worse than being razzed by someone who can't take it like they dish it out.

I make fun of myself just as much as others. Self-depreciating humor is the best!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:10 am
Then there are the type who love to make fun of others.

But when the tables are turned, they totally freak out and get all bent outta shape and can't handle it! Anyone ever encounter that?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:30 am
Yep. I have lots of encounters with people who constantly insults in a harsh tone; you know in that "hey I'm superior to you" way. Personally I can't stand those because they're obviously trying to degrade you personally. I find that not getting mad and letting them see that it doesn't have any effect on you is pretty useful.

My friend, he out of the blues say something stupid, but you know he's joking because he's being happy-go-lucky with it, and he drops it afterwards or you know that he wasn't trying to insult you personally. Though I hate it when he does that in a debate. Got an advice from him: there's no point in arguing with an idiot (someone who won't argue rationally), because you make yourself look like an idiot in the process.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:56 am
It becomes harmful & unpleasant when the teaser continues relentlessly, despite clearly observing the discomfort of the teasee.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:40 pm
Basically, the only reason to tease or insult somebody is to get a negative stroke in return, so what does it matter? If you really need a negative stroke badly insult somebody, and maybe they'll slug you. That would keep you satisfied for a while.

I'm not joking here. The only reason to tease or insult somebody is to get a negative stroke. I spent the first 40 years of my life doing that. You learn about negative strokes and how to stop the first hour in therapy.

Remember Abuzz? I left Abuzz a little more than a year ago after it had degenerated into little more than a place to trade negative strokes.
0 Replies