How do Australians feel about China?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:23 am
My impressions of China are a bit chaotic: Pearl Buck; Judge Dee; Paper Tiger; tongs; Mao; lots of drab denim; lots of glorious dragons; rice paddies; the Great Wall; Dim Sum and most recently a major consumer of the world's oil supply.

I'm just beginning to reckon on China as an economic power with a political/economic system moving towards free trade. I haven't considered China in military terms since the Korean War.

What do Australians--who are closer to the Asian land mass--think about China?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,074 • Replies: 5
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:02 pm
I think the main question is "how do we make money out of China?" I would imagine that our government and major businesses are rubbing their hands and digging up our resources to be sold as quickly as possible to China without thought of anything other than profit. There's this burgeoning about-to-be superpower shelling out money for resources and by jingly you can bet the big quarry and farm down south (Oz) is ready to hand it all over for cold hard cash.

I don't think we're scared of China in military terms, the idea of the Yellow Peril has abated. Interesting question though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:25 pm
Prolly some anxiety re China/Taiwan and possible regional instability etc there.

Australia "recognized" China as the real China way before the US did - we have a long trade relationship with them - and are fiercely promoting our universities for tertiary students from China. We have always had lots of diaspora Chinese students here - but we are now seeing lots of mainland Chinese as well.

We have a long trading relationship with them - which we are always looking to strengthen.

Tienanmin Square had a big impact here - and acquainted ordinary Australians with the human rights abuses.

Other than that, I guess our attitude is pretty positive.

I have a number of friends who have spent a few years in China - teaching, or in one case, learning acupuncture for three years. We have a number of diaspors Chinese friends - who came here to study, and stayed. I worked in a Chinese restaurant for three years.

I doubt many Ozzians see it as a threat, in the short to medium term, anyway.

Oddly enough, I saw a really bad film version of "Pavilion of Women" the other day, and it reminded me of how much reading I used to do about China as a kid!
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:05 pm
China = Cash.

China = New regional power. They have overtaken Japan and the USA as THE power in the western pacific. Even the USA has realised that recently.

China = Not a direct threat. Taiwan and Korea both have the potential to spiral into regional conflict but the chances are quite slim and hopefully, if it did happen, our government would have the brains to stay out of it...hopefully.
0 Replies

wuxuanzheng

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:46 am
I am a chinese.
I say your impression to China is relative objective.

But as "Yellow Peril"? I don't think so. This word is way too offensive. Chinese is not an aggressive race.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 07:31 am
It is offensive but it describes a historical attitude in Australia. You won't hear it used now because we're more open-minded (at least our politicians don't thunder it in Parliament) and China is no longer stereotyped and we know that China is a very diverse country, but if I am going to describe a particular historical mindset I'm going to have to use that phrase. The popular Australian press between the late 19th and mid 20th Centuries - sadly - is full of it. But it illustrates the mindset.

And my use of it was in no way intended to offend.
0 Replies