Do Least Flycatchers look rather thuggish?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 08:41 am
I have a new visitor to my bird feeders. *

Working from a Zim Nature Guide and a Roger Tory Peterson Field Guide, I've come up with "Least Flycatcher" or possible "Phoebe" as a possible identification, but the pictures are more colorful than the birds I'm seeing.

The birds I'm seeing are fuzzy (although the temperatures are in the 50's) and they sit still so they seem somewhat menacing.

Can anyone confirm my identification--or suggest a more accurate one?

* Actually to where my feeders used to be. This is bear season and bears adore black oil sunflower seeds.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 17
No top replies

smog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 12:51 pm
Show us pictures of the birdies!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:40 pm
Smog--

In spite of clear instructions on the A2K FAQ site, I don't do pictures. Here's a Google link. The feathered chappie on the upper left corner looks a good bit like my bird--but not quite enough to make an absolute identification.

If you could download him here....

http://images.google.com/images?q=Least+Flycatcher&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

...eternal gratitude and all that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:25 pm
Thuggish!?! He's downright adorable.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:53 pm
Ahh right, I sorta forgot about that, Noddy, since I never have had, do not currently have, and probably never will have my own personal web space anywhere. Thanks for being much more mindful than I! Smile

And maybe Google, or perhaps just my Google, isn't working, since that link and no other Google pages are loading for me. Oh well, I'll check again later.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 05:56 pm
Littlek--

You haven't seen a mated pair on your maple tree murmuring, "Death to black flies...hic!"

Smog--

I searched Google Image for Least Flycatcher. May clarity descend in your neck of the woods.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 07:54 pm
That guy's a cutie....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:24 pm
There speaks another non-black-fly.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:18 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Littlek--

You haven't seen a mated pair on your maple tree murmuring, "Death to black flies...hic!"

Heehee! UM, are 'black flies' birds or insects?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 11:48 am
Insects--no see'um.

Quote:
Certain species of adult black fly females are fierce biters, whereas others are strictly a nuisance by their presence around one's nostrils, ears, arms, hands, and other exposed skin areas. These flies can discourage people from remaining in or visiting certain recreational areas for fishing, camping, hiking, golf, etc. when the black fly season occurs. Children are especially susceptible and may be severely bitten while adults in the same area are scarcely aware of the flies. Most complaints in Ohio occur in early spring (April to June) in hilly areas with swiftly, flowing streams. Bites may appear where clothing fits snugly against the body, leaving a ring of bites just above or below the belt line.

After the black fly finishes feeding, bleeding may continue for some time. At first, the bite site appears as a small, red, central spot surrounded by a slightly reddened, swollen area. Next, the area becomes increasingly itchy, swollen and irritating, sometimes for several days. Some black flies readily attack people, whereas others prefer domestic animals or birds, often feeding during the daylight hours and sometimes into the night. Flies may become so abundant as to be drawn into the air passages of livestock, occasionally resulting in death. It is believed that allergic reactions to bites may be caused by histaminic substances in the fly's saliva. These flies transmit a disease of filarial worms, onchocerciasis, which causes blindness in people in Mexico, Central America and Africa in addition to protozoan parasites, leucocytozoonosis to turkeys and wild birds. They may be potential transmitters of encephalitis. It is suspected that the expansion of black fly populations in Ohio is likened to improvement in stream and river water quality in recent years. As with many aquatic insects, black flies are very sensitive to water pollution.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2167.html

Black flies appear early in May, just as the migrating songbirds arrive from the south hungry for a bit of restorative protein.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Well, then, good ridance to the black flies!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:04 pm
Actually, I probably have a pair of Phoebes--in the flycatcher family but with "no identifying markings".

http://images.google.com/images?q=Phoebe+bird&hl=en

I'm not organized enough for a Life List, but I'd never seen these birds before.

The black flies are fierce this year--and I'm allergic--eyes-swell-shut allergic.

Nice phoebes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:09 pm
If you do indeed have Least Flycatchers on your property you are one lucky woman. Those things are delicious.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:47 pm
Gus--

Are you following me? Or do I flatter myself?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 05:49 pm
Am I? Maybe so.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:00 pm
Springtime is a fearful season.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:04 am
Phoebe is the more likely candidate. The least flycatcher is a much smaller bird and not one you could confuse with a Phoebe. One thing to look for on Phoebes is that they frequently flick their tail up and down when perched. Pewees are similar but don't flick their tails and stay in the woods.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:36 am
Pitter--

Thanks to a stroke of luck, the Least Flycatcher (I live in the woods) and the Phoebe showed up at the same time.

Two new-to-me species materializing at the same time--no wonder I was confused.
0 Replies