Why all these Latin tattoos?

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:03 am
It seems that half the threads posted here recently are from people who don't know any Latin but want to get themselves tattooed with a Latin phrase.

Why? What's the attraction of getting words indelibly written on yourself in a language you don't know?

I mean, I can understand someone wanting a tattoo of their own favourite motto or phrase, but why something you wouldn't know how to say? I really don't get it. Can somebody explain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,070 • Replies: 14
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 01:13 am
...or Hindi

....but, be careful!

Footballer David Beckham's latest tattoo - his pop star wife's name in Hindi - may have been misspelled. It's just one of the dangers of putting needle to skin in the name of love.
Manchester United star David Beckham is making his body a shrine to his family. The 25-year-old already has the name of his son Brooklyn in Gothic script across his back.

But with an indelible tribute to his Spice Girl spouse - Victoria Beckham - the footballer may have scored a bit of an own goal.

"Is that Tracey with an H?"

Some experts think the Hindi tattoo mistakenly spells out "Vihctoria", reports The Guardian newspaper.

While a spokeswoman for Beckham has denied the suggestion - "The tattoo has been checked by a Hindu expert" - the affair again raises the question whether it is ever wise to have your partner's name tattooed onto your hide, no matter what the language.

The editor of Skin Deep magazine, who chooses to be known simply as Sally, says many body art parlours have signs reminding clients: "Tattoos last longer than romances."
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:15 pm
Here is the one that seems to be issued to freshman worls in collage.

The ubiquitous tribal tatoo at the small of the back.

Dear God if I see one more of those and a half shirt I am ready to puke.

Ofcourse this is a nation that venerated idiots so much it buys little poodles and puts them in bags like that ignant ass waste of skin Paris Hilton.

But I am not angry. Wink

TTF
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:19 pm
If you have to ask, you don't know.

TTF were you abused by a carny?
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:30 am
Re: Why all these Latin tattoos?
syntinen

Quote:
Why? What's the attraction of getting words indelibly written on yourself in a language you don't know?

Omne ignotum pro magnifico
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 04:57 am
val wrote:
syntinen

Quote:

Omne ignotum pro magnifico

Appropriate one Laughing
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:29 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
If you have to ask, you don't know.

TTF were you abused by a carny?

That's not funny man! You don't know my pain! Laughing

I DO get all worked up at times over the littlest stuff. Maybe this goes back to the marajuana thread where I stated I don't do drugs.

Perhaps I would be a LOT more mellow if I did. Wink

TTF
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:34 am
The wanna-be classic scholars have been around all year. I think the recent increase in the lust for second-hand learning has something to do with the prom, graduation, and commencing Real Life.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:31 am
syntinen wrote:
It seems that half the threads posted here recently are from people who don't know any Latin but want to get themselves tattooed with a Latin phrase.

Haven't seen those posts I'm afraid.

Quote:

What's the attraction to surfing? Some people enjoy it, others don't. Tatooing latin on you doesn't harm other people any more than surfing does. I fail to see why it particularly bothers you that other people would choose to do so.

Personally I'd be more curious why they'd ask in an environment such as this where a bastard like myself could get them to have swear words tatooed on them in latin.

Quote:
The ubiquitous tribal tatoo at the small of the back.

It wouldn't have been entirely uncommon for tribal tatoos to be done in wode, thus making a few appropriate designs to be available, some of which appeal to the modern eye. A tatoo on your back isn't visible in a work environment and is thus one of two or three worksafe tatoo positions on your body. The current fashionability of halter tops makes this an easy to show off position. I'd personally rather tattoo my shoulder blade, but I consider this a matter of personal aesthetic taste.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 09:44 am
Quote:
Tatooing latin on you doesn't harm other people any more than surfing does. I fail to see why it particularly bothers you that other people would choose to do so.

I never said it bothers me; it doesn't. It just baffles me.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:59 am
syntinen wrote:
It just baffles me.

It's human behaviour. It's meant to.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:08 am
It baffles me as much as hollywoods insistence on naming thier children innane names:

Francis Bean
Scout

stuff like that. There should be professional slappers at the hospital to smack the mess out of parents who saddle thier kids with these names.

TTF
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 12:52 pm
thethinkfactory wrote:
It baffles me as much as hollywoods insistence on naming thier children innane names:

That doesn't baffle me. It angers me. Parents who make their children suffer should be fed to bears with digestive problems.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 03:29 pm
Syntinen--

I share your 'satiable curiosity. We're in good company with the Elephant's Child--the Crocodiles can dine alone.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 06:57 pm
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
thethinkfactory wrote:

That doesn't baffle me. It angers me. Parents who make their children suffer should be fed to bears with digestive problems.

Word!

TTF
0 Replies