The animal god called my name.

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:03 pm
There's a certain intersection on the other side of town that I try to avoid. For some reason the light stays red for an interminable (seemingly) amount of time and I have neither the time or patience to sit there and wait. So I have developed an alternative plan. I take a shortcut through a neighborhood in the vicinity. A quick right before the intersection, then a left down a quiet residential street, another right and I'm back on the road to the swamp and everything is cool.

So I'm driving down this residential road yesterday morning and I notice a male mallard waddling from the middle of the road toward the curb. I slow down and let him take his time so he doesn't have to expend the energy required for flight. He gets to the curb and that's when I noticed the female in the road. She was struggling toward the curb also, but at a much slower rate because of an apparent broken leg and wing. It was really sad. She kind of hopped along, struggling toward the curb. I silently cursed the person who had hit her in the first place. One of my pet peeves is to see all these dead animals on the road, knowing that 95% of them were killed by speeding, inattentive drivers. Of course, something else may have caused her injuries, but I remain confident it was a crazy driver.

Fast forward to about 1/2 hour ago. I once again approach the aforementioned intersection and head for my shortcut. But I remembered the poor duck and wondered if a fox had had an easy lunch. I drove down the street slowly, looking left and right for the duck. Didn't see it anywhere. Then, before I realized it, there was the duck in the middle of the road again. I saw it so late, and because of the filtered light it blended it the road quite well, I had no chance. Neither did she. I ran her over. A direct hit with my right front tire.

What could I do? I sure as hell couldn't save the thing. I looked in the mirror and saw the flattened pile of feathers and beak fragments and I sighed and headed home.

Do you think the ducks gods called on me to put this poor bird out of its misery? I really feel quite bad about this incident and need some comforting. Someone please offer me some kind words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,722 • Replies: 21
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:09 pm
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:11 pm
pressed duck for supper tonight gus?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:14 pm
You ducked up this time motherducker.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:16 pm
Re: The animal god called my name.
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I really feel quite bad about this incident and need some comforting. Someone please offer me some kind words.

Well, PETA of course is going to kill you, but if you need a hiding
place, I'd put you up - temporarily that is.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:54 pm
ditto pdawg.

Around Boston is a byway called 128. It's 4-5 lanes each way of highway along side, at one point, a resevoir. We have lots of canada geese thereabouts. One day while driving the road, I saw a commotion, traffic slowed way down (which isn't in itself unusual), a car had pulled over and the driver was trying to heard a goose off the highway. It didn't want to go because it's mate was now part of the pavement. I dunno what the driver did. I dunno what I would have done if that guy wasn't out there standing in the way of crazy boston drivers during rush hour traffic. I can only imagine 2 outcomes. Either that man had to scrap the dead mate off the highway and drop her beyond the shoulder, or the living mate bit the same road.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:56 pm
Hmmm, I'm still waiting for the "other shoe" to drop. This can't be the complete story!

Is there at least a moral to this tale?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:16 pm
Reyn wrote:
Hmmm, I'm still waiting for the "other shoe" to drop. This can't be the complete story!

don't spend too much time in the swamp or you'll go quackers.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:19 pm
That sucks, Gus. Hope you feel better soon. It wasn't your fault, man!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:22 pm
I feel bad about the animals getting run over also. About two years ago, I followed a fellow across an intersection, who swerved into the left lane, deliberately running over a large turtle. I had to follow him almost two miles, wanting to kick his butte, but knowing it was not feasible to do so.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:26 pm
I caught a guy in my neighborhood once tieing firecrackers to kittens tails.

I duct taped him to a chair and made him watch me rape his sister, then I burned him with cigarettes. That taught him.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's one of those sicko sadistic bastards.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:03 am
Reyn wrote:

Apparently you've spent so much time reading meters that you've lost touch with the delicate balance of nature and some of the small, poignant plays within.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:04 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I caught a guy in my neighborhood once tieing firecrackers to kittens tails.

I duct taped him to a chair and made him watch me rape his sister, then I burned him with cigarettes. That taught him.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's one of those sicko sadistic bastards.

Does Slappy know that you stole his brain?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:28 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Apparently you've spent so much time reading meters that you've lost touch with the delicate balance of nature and some of the small, poignant plays within.

Well, that certainly is a possibility! When you've spent as much time as I have at this work, your mind starts to lean....

But, I'm thinking that it's more like this. 98% of your posts tend to be on the humourous or "off" side. My first reaction was that it was another of your "gag posts", which I love, by the way.

Rarely have I seen the serious side of Mr. Gus, so I expected there to be something of a follow-up. If this was a true event, then it is a sad tale indeed. I'm sure there was some karma involved, or something of a similar nature.

Let us now bow our heads in a solemn prayer.....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:30 am
Yes indeed. Let us pray.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:32 am
Lettuce no pray. Lettuce dumb. Cabbage pray. Cribbage pay dollar for point. Cribbage pay cabbage. Cabbage no pray. Lettuce pray.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 08:15 am
Apparently, my mind isn't the only one that's leaning.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:58 am
Say lettuce then spell cup

Now I don't care who you are, that's funny.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:06 am
Don't feel bad, Gus, I was a goner anyway. You set me free from the misery of having to hobble across a busy road with a broken leg. Also, I couldn't swim with that broken leg. And it was frightening to stay up all night wondering which predator was going to eat me first. It's much nicer up here in ducky heaven. No broken leg, giant pond, no cars.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 10:11 am
It's easy for you to say FreeDuck, while gustav will
rot dearly in hell for his sins. Wink
0 Replies