How small can a brain get, and still work?

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:28 pm
If a Hummingbird's brain is smaller than a pea, and does about as much as a dog, then how small can a brain be, and still work?

And what about insect brains? Granted they don't have nearly the behavorial response as a bird or a mammal, but they still have a brain, and some of them are excruciatingly small (gnats, and tardigrades).

There must be a lot of wasted space in a human brain, if a vast majority of it's functions could be handled by another brain the size of a pea.

Quote:

Anthropologists like to distinguish humans from other animals, by pointing to our large brain capacity, and our ability to learn and imitate language. But new research suggest the lowly hummingbird, with a brain smaller than the size of a pea, may share some of our most complex abilities. I'm Jim Metzner, and this is the Pulse of the Planet.

Erich Jarvis is an Assistant Professor of Neurobiology at Duke University Medical Center. He's comparing brain activity of hummingbirds with that of other animal species that can learn and reproduce sounds.

"Hummingbirds have taught me that brain size does not matter. They have one of the smallest brains in the world, and yet they do behaviors that are very complex, similar to humans. Dogs for instance, or cats, have much larger brains than hummingbirds. But they don't have this ability to imitate sounds. So size does not matter, it's the actual structures in the brain that matter."

Source: http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/May04/3181.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 06:33 pm
Hmmm....

Many birds can immitate sound - including the sound of human speech.

I've always thought it had more to do with the structure of vocal cords then with the structure of the brain.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:10 am
This is obviously a political question!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/poke.gif
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 01:46 am
I don't know, but it's under active test right now in the Politics forum.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:09 am
I clicked on this thread feeling quite confident it was about Dubya.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:29 am
Very funny, Gus. Razz
0 Replies