Baby Swan Care or Neglect...

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:04 am
At what age should a baby swans wings be clipped? I understand that it is to protect them from hurting themselves as they learn how to fly.
Isn't 2 days a little early, and what happes if they are taking from their mother and father this soon? Is it legal to sell them? Is it normal for them to bleed after this procedure?
clueless & concerned Shocked
- thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 896 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Aldistar

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 09:53 pm
I'm not sure what age the wings should be clipped or when it is to early to be taken from their parents but two days seems much to early for either. I do know that if a birds wings bleed when they ar clipped it means that you have cut to much. They should not bleed, but if they happen to then you should have some styptic powder handy. Take some of the powder and dab it on the ends that are bleeding, this should stop the bleeding and disinfect the wound.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:38 am
I have no direct experience, but from what I've read you cut or pluck the wing feathers rather than cutting the wing.

The purpose is to keep them home. In the wild, they fly when ready. In this world they may fly into a freeway.
0 Replies

interested2

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:43 am
Thank-you for the quick replys. I do not have the swans. The people who have them said that they had their "wings clipped" and they were bleeding from the procedure. They are planning to sell them. I was shocked because they were so young and it didn't sound right that they would bleed from this procedure, and that they would do this when they are so young. The mother had been protecting them under her wings for the first 2 days, and now they are gone from her. Question
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 12:57 pm
I know that chicks are hatched in incubators and shipped all over the world, but separation from a mother at two days?

I googled "hatchling swans" and found this site which may be helpful:

http://www.whatcomwatch.org/php/WW_open.php?id=505
0 Replies