Fulfillment vs. Truth

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:11 am
HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING,

Suppose you realized that existence was indeed devoid of transcendent purpose. Then someone invented a technically-advanced "fantasy box." If you get into this fantasy box, you get the illusion that all of your aspirations are fulfilled. You would be convinced that you are living the life you desperately wanted to have, whatever that may be.

Would you get into that box?

Now suppose the world you are living in now is just the illusion of a fantasy box. And the world outside is a miserable place. Much like in The Matrix. Would you get out of it? Or choose to forget what you have discovered?

Remember, hypotheticals mean something imagined to be true, not something proposed to be true. Sorry, but I feel the need to make that distinction when presenting hypotheticals.

Particularly interested in the thoughts of people who feel they live fulfilling lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 779 • Replies: 10
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:14 am
Well I've already realised you're first statement - but I wouldn't get in the box. Having aspirations filled seems something of a let down. It's the struggle, the chase, that's rewarding. The journey not the destination.

It would be like masturbating by torchlight.

I think the more you disliked your life the more likely you'd get in the box. Why not? Much less messy than suicide, and who cares?

If on the other hand you woke up in the box and didn't realise that's where you were - well what would life be like? How much heaven can you take? Not much I fear.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:22 am
By "box" are we referring to TV? Confused

Stare into the box and all of your worries slip into oblivion...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:56 am
I'd get into the box same as I wuld get into a cart of a rollercoaster. All experience is good experience.
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:11 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
. All experience is good experience.

(leaves room to murder stranger)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 03:37 am
How is that a good experience, I wonder? I do think that it is if you're capable of murder.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 06:49 am
All experience, be an excercise of free will is a good experience. However, we seek to maximize our good experiences over the long run.

Thus, murder, as an experience, is only negative (for me) because it leads to greater negative consequences.

It is untenable for the murdered because his excersice of free will has been taken away.

TTF
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 07:02 am
Truth is fulfillment.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 09:14 am
Re: Fulfillment vs. Truth
CerealKiller wrote:
HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING,

Suppose you realized that existence was indeed devoid of transcendent purpose. Then someone invented a technically-advanced "fantasy box." If you get into this fantasy box, you get the illusion that all of your aspirations are fulfilled. You would be convinced that you are living the life you desperately wanted to have, whatever that may be.

Now suppose the world you are living in now is just the illusion of a fantasy box. And the world outside is a miserable place. Much like in The Matrix. Would you get out of it? Or choose to forget what you have discovered?

Remember, hypotheticals mean something imagined to be true, not something proposed to be true. Sorry, but I feel the need to make that distinction when presenting hypotheticals.

Particularly interested in the thoughts of people who feel they live fulfilling lives.

without a purpose to life what is the need for aspirations
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 10:08 am
TTF, what I mean is that if you are a murderer a killing is a good experience because it leads you to the hell you have chosen for yourself.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 7 May, 2005 11:29 am
Re: Fulfillment vs. Truth
CerealKiller wrote:
Suppose you realized that existence was indeed devoid of transcendent purpose.

Already have, it is.

Quote:
You would be convinced that you are living the life you desperately wanted to have, whatever that may be.

But... I do live the life I want have.

Quote:

No. Don't want to lose sight of reality any further than I had to. If it were a VR simulator then I might occassionally use it as an entertainment device for a few hours a day, just so I could do cool stuff that's otherwise impossible.

Quote:

Can't I pick option 3. Remember what I've discovered and stay in.

Quote:

The day before yesterday I went drinking with some mates. Then yesterday I played a roleplaying game with my best friend and another good friend. Today I hung out with my best friend, went shopping, ate kabana and camembert cheese. Then I went out to an interactive theatre group and afterwards went with everyone to have schnitzel and chips.

Now I'm hanging out on a philosophy board and just musing over idle thoughts. Tommorow I'm going to go see a movie with a guy I really like and who knows, I might even get lucky. I'm spending much of my "free time" in between these things working on a book I'm about to publish (if all goes well), and sometimes writing some music for a joke band I do with a friend of mine.

Perhaps I'm a bit limited in money but otherwise...? I really love my life and I'm amazed at just how wonderfully it is going. I continue to be startled by how incredibly fantastic it is to live in this time period instead of any other.

To turn this life of mine into absolute heaven, all you would have to do is offer me a free source of income guaranteed for the rest of my life. (not much, maybe... $400 a week). That would turn my life into a paradise. Financial worries are the only thing that spoils my experiences and even then, not by much.
0 Replies