Religion is like professional wrestling.

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:45 pm
When we're young we take it seriously that there are good guys and bad guys fighting it jout, and we think that they're literally hurting each other.

Then later, as we grow up and reaize that it's a crock, we reject it totaly.

Later yet, even though we know it's not true literally, but it's just a game with actors, good or not so good, it's still fun to watch, and we're relieved that it's just a game.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,081 • Replies: 5
No top replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:56 pm
Thats pretty good.

I'd say I take it a little more seriously than pro wrestling. But not too much more.

One value I see in religion is this: If someone believes in Jesus (or whatever) and as a result, is truly kinder and gentler to others because of this belief, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

I mean, lets say their religion turns out to be wrong.

If their false beliefs caused them to try to be truly nicer to others and try to turn away from murdering and stuff like that, I can see some value in the religion, even if it was false...

Having said that, which religious figure do you think would win the WWF Smackdown Championship?

Jesus would be a contender with those miracle skills. But he's not into harming others that much, right? --so that might be his weakness.

Krishna has a lot of powers, he'd be a contender. I think he did a lot of fairly violent stuff with his powers. Vishnu et al would be in the running too. Might have to have a Indian subcontinent preliminary tourney to see who their entry would be.

Buddha would probably just remove himself from the competition.

Mohammed? I'm kinda scared to say anything...but if I remember right he knew a lot and stuff but he really didn't have a lot of magical powers?

I think I might put my money on the God of the Old Testament. He was one mean vengeful dude not afraid to use his considerable power!

Anyone know of a religious superhero who could beat God using WWF standard rules?

Then of course we'd need to unify the throne...I guess that could come later after a lot of tourneys and hype.

Is that what is happening in our world today? Are all these various wars and violence the WWF of the Gods, only we can't see it?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:17 pm
The point is that we don't have to kill each other over religion. In the third stage, wrestling and religion is seen as a game, and if you kill your opponent the game is over.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 04:20 pm
Let's not forget satan...the original bad guy.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 06:39 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Let's not forget satan...the original bad guy.

Twisted Evil

True. I guess God has Satan sort of under containment right now. But its like Satan isn't utterly defeated.

If it was like a WWF match between the two of them, maybe God would win on points or something?

Just when you think you got the sucker pinned, he squirms loose and goes to a different part of the ring.

Eventually you get tired of it, and make the Bad Guy go live under the ring.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:14 am
Re: Religion is like professional wrestling.
coluber2001 wrote:
When we're young we take it seriously that there are good guys and bad guys fighting it jout, and we think that they're literally hurting each other.

Then later, as we grow up and reaize that it's a crock, we reject it totaly.

Later yet, even though we know it's not true literally, but it's just a game with actors, good or not so good, it's still fun to watch, and we're relieved that it's just a game.

Later yet, we realize that some of it has grains of eternal truth that we can mine, like gold.

And even though silly actors may dominate the shallow realms of the religions, there are some eternal truths still to be found in the central myths of some major (and minor) religions.

Later yet, we get old. Eventually die. Somewhere along the line, we may stand outside of ourself, outside of our life, and realize that even at those times we took religion seriously, then rejected it, then watched its actors in fun, then started to appreciate bits of it again,

we can stand outside of ourselves, and see; that we were actors too on the world stage, and we can laugh at ourselves and all of our different reactions to religion and other issues, and see that it was all a sort of game and illusion, and when we thought we were more mature or superior to someone else, it was not necessarily so, sometimes it was just that we misunderstood others.
0 Replies