What tomorrow holds?

Juliet

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 11:29 pm
Heard this from a friend. Her brother used to be very faithful, 100% believer in Buddhism, but for some reason he abandoned that totally lately. He told my friend not to travel to Asia lately, especially Japan.

He told her to watch the news for certain days, and it happened there was a train de-railed in Japan killing more than hundred people. He told her that in 5 years, the world's population will only have 1/6 left. New York is not safe. People with darker skin tones will be reduced. The earth will be taken over by Aliens. Do you believe?

With all the man-made/natural disasters lately, what do you think tomorrow holds?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 725 • Replies: 18
No top replies

fredjones

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:05 am
I've been talking to Chicken Little, and she agrees that the sky is falling. Smile

I think that humans are more capable of survival than cockroaches.

Also, predicting a disaster is easy to do. With 6 billion people on earth, million-to-one chance happenings occur six thousand times a day. Ever wonder asking how your friend's brother got this power of prediction? If a wild as$ guess turns out to be right, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was predicted.
0 Replies

Juliet

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:08 pm
Yup! I agreed.

I used to have the same "coincidences" but I won't dare to say I'm psychic.

When I was a little girl, I went to a charity dinner with my dad. They have lucky draws. I thought we would get the grand prize, and we did!

Then there were days when an adult friend asked me to give him lucky numbers so he can buy lottery (like 4 numbers, similar to Daily 3), I just told him certain numbers. Next time he gave me $30 for my numbers won the 2nd or 3rd prize.

Then when I was teenage, I was walking down an alley with a friend with a pet dog. There were dogs barking, and I told my friend what if there comes some big dogs chasing us? We would be doom. A few big dogs came out from behind right after I finished the sentence. Was I psychic? Twisted Evil

There are more of these "coincidences", interested? Laughing
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:49 am
You know in high school I was voted "Most Superstitious" for the yearbook. I never understood why, because I am in no way superstitious. Funny how life is that way.

Especially funny that someone gave you part of their winnings for picking random numbers. Smile
0 Replies

Juliet

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:04 pm
You're? How funny! Why? What had you done?

No one voted me superstitious. I even had dreams of some occurrences before they happened. I was scared sometimes. But these dreams don't come when I wanted them to. Not especially when I needed a dream that tells me what's the next Super Lotto numbers. Ha...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 08:31 am
I predict that his population prediction will come true sooner or later.

But I base mine on the present population curve and what tends to happen after the peak of the curve in every other species.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:11 am
I predict that you will predict that I will predict that you will predict that something will happen.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:57 pm
I did nothing that I can remember to deserve a "most superstitious" label. Maybe it was a joke? I knew a fair amount of people, but I wonder how many would have to be involved to vote me in. I've never figured it out. Smile

I find it interesting that in post-industrial countries the birthrate has plummeted. I think that birth control will be the technology that saves this world from the woes of overpopulation. Unfortunately it will be a difficult lesson for the underpriviledged in this world.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:44 am
I predict that Thunder will predict that I will predict that something will happen.

Hey Thunder, how did you know I was going to say that ?! Nice work !!! Smile
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:46 am
Here's the current world population....

http://math.berkeley.edu/~galen/popclk.html

...looks pretty scary to me.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 05:57 am
Quote:
Hey Thunder, how did you know I was going to say that ?! Nice work !!!

Magic!!

Quote:
...looks pretty scary to me.

I wonder what it looked like when Hitler was around?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 02:05 pm
If one hundred years ago you tried to calculate the number of people this planet could support, you would be off by billions. Just because we are at 6 billion doesn't really mean anything.

Quote:
Those familiar with the earlier version will note that the range in which the new version gives reasonable estimates has increased considerably. It is of some interest to note that this approximation predicts that the population will start decreasing before the end of the 21st century.
(emphasis mine)

Destruction of the world due to overpopulation? Show me the evidence.

Wait, why was I voted most superstitious??? Maybe it was fate. Wink
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:31 pm
I don't imagine the world wil be destroyed by overpopulation.

I DO imagine a sudden massive drop in the population, (that's what the population charts tend to do) and when it happens, I'm sure it's gonna look and feel like the end of the world!
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:15 am
More people, more diseases, more mutations...

I think people are probably going down hill, I think we have all been devolving since the beginning of time. Once mankind has been infested with all these bad things, how can it rid itself of them?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 06:48 am
I don't see things quite so darkly thunder...at least not long term.

It'd be a really good idea to expand the race beyond the boundaries of the planet sooner rather than later though.

(I expect science will be more useful than religion in achieving that) Razz
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 08:55 am
Quote:
(I expect science will be more useful than religion in achieving that)

Maybe we can save ourselves with religion, before we need science.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 09:10 pm
I don't even see a large decrease in population. I see a gradual decrease in population as birthrates decrease. Old people will die and the population will lower without huge environmental or political stress. The biggest problem will be in insurance programs (like social security) as the younger workforce decreases. I see no reason why we should project a dismal future for ourselves. And I don't think I'm being overly optimistic.

I'm not going to touch the religion subject here. I'll save my position for another time. Smile
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:20 am
Quote:
'm not going to touch the religion subject here. I'll save my position for another time.

I can already probably guess what you're going to say...and I would agree with you, but for different reasons.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 09:23 am
Sooner or later, these folks will have limited success:POSTED HERE Also see Revelation 17, 18 (2 chapters)
0 Replies