A2K London gathering - Francis tells his story.

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 10:52 pm
I would go to Scotland and Wales. Repeatedly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 11:36 pm
I'm usually (more than) once per year in London AND Manchester :wink:
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:24 am
Aha! Francis I've discovered this thread.

And you're being a very good boy and haven't posted any pictures of us (especially me!) as yet.

Keep up the good work! :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:39 am
Dear Tarah, as I said before I'll PM each of you for allowing me to post your pictures.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 12:43 am
I didn't remember that, sorry Francis.

Will you email me via my website as I'm not able to PM as yet. Sad
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:43 am
smorgs wrote:
I don't know why people go to London - the crowds, the conartists and rip off merchants, the dingy hotels, the lack of Londoners, the expense!:

It sounds like you have had a bad experience in London Smorgs. Where did you see the Con artists....exhibiting their wares at the Tate Modern?

Anyone reading this would get a very bad impression of London. I find it "alive" like New York. Paris is very beautiful, but boring in comparison with the two aforementioned cities, as far as vibrancy is concerned.

Methinks you are stereotyping London a bit....it would be like a southerner pointing out that you have your car wheels stolen all the time in Manchester, the gun and drug problems are the worst in England, and it is always raining. It's OK when it is done in fun (the old banter between oop North and Softy South), but you sounded as if you had a genuine "downer".
If people go to only the tourist traps of any City, they will suffer crowds and inflated prices (I was charged £4 / $7 for a small coffee in Paris) but if you get off the beaten track in London, there are wonderful sights, Pubs, exhibitions, walks and tours that can be experienced.
I would recommend anyone going to London in future should buy "The Guinness Superlative Guide to London", to discover the amazing "behind the scenes" wonders that makes London such an interesting City.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:47 am
QUOTE]Methinks you are stereotyping London a bit....it would be like a southerner pointing out that you have your car wheels stolen all the time in Manchester, the gun and drug problems are the worst in England, and it is always raining. It's OK when it is done in fun (the old banter between oop North and Softy South), but you sounded as if you had a genuine "downer". [/QUOTE]

Bog Off!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:49 am
I REALLY DO LIKE YOUR ECCLES CAKES THOUGH.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:52 am
Why Lord Elpus....

<previously annoyed at the Southern insolence, smorgs suddenly melts and blushes, when Lord Elpus notices her Eccles Cakes>

...and they are extra currenty
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:53 am
smorgs wrote:
QUOTE]Methinks you are stereotyping London a bit....it would be like a southerner pointing out that you have your car wheels stolen all the time in Manchester, the gun and drug problems are the worst in England, and it is always raining. It's OK when it is done in fun (the old banter between oop North and Softy South), but you sounded as if you had a genuine "downer".

Bog Off![/quote]

Smorgs, I was only responding to your unfair (IMO) comments re. London. I am sure that you would have done the same if I had made those initial comments about your home town/city, and presented it as fact.
I meant no offence. Just defending London from what I saw as unfair criticism.
Sorry if I have upset you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:53 am
Both London and Manchetser have there open and hidden treasary sites, Manchester less tourists trapps ...

... AND CAR WHEELS ARE ONLY STOLEN IN LIVERPOOL (nowadays, due to being 'capital of culture', they stand on books instead of bricks afterwards there).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:57 am
Now be careful Walter, there are a few Scousers who may take you on if you dont watch out.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 01:59 am
Of course you havn't upset me! I hope my 'bog off' did not offend either! It was just a lighthearted Mancunian reply - I was dumbing down - really I'm quite posh, I must be, I live near lots of footballers. I do have magnificent Eccles Cakes though, and an utterly charming aquaduct. :wink:
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:00 am
WALTER!!!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:01 am
And beautiful lips as well Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:02 am
Sorry for the hyjack francis Crying or Very sad

I'll go and find the 'let's stereotype capital cities' thread :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:03 am
One day I'll do that thread..
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:03 am
Embarrassed francis...your so....French!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 03:02 am
Is Francis French??.....I thought he was Belgian.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 03:59 am
You live near the Thirlmere Aqueduct? Respect!

(and I hope it doesn't burst)
0 Replies