Should I cross the picket line?

Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 08:54 am
Easter is around the corner. I need to feed about 15 people. The grocery store that I get my basics is being picketed by their workers. I do not have an issues with going to more specialty items at places like a local butcher, Trader Joes, even Whole Foods for certain items - but of course they are more expensive for feeding a large group of people.

So for things like my sides, basic drinks, etc. I want to go to this grocery store - I get gas points, and better prices for the same product. But they are being picketed.

Should I say screw you and just get my stuff? To be honest, I am not a huge supporter for this picket - more because there are lots of jobs available and if these employees do not like what their current company is offering, there are other similar stores within a couple of miles. But I do see these people who work here frequently so I am torn.

Should I cross the picket line?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 55
Topic Closed

Region Philbis

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:02 am
@Linkat,

i wouldn't...

is there a Staah Maahket you can go to instead?
Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:23 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i wouldn't...

is there a Staah Maahket you can go to instead?

There is a Shaws and a Big Y, but I don't like them as much. Maybe I will go to a S&S in another town - that way the picketers won't know me. Otherwise if I cross the one near my home, when they go back to work - they won't help me.
Region Philbis

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:30 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I don't like them as much
ironically, that's exactly the way i feel about S+S ...
izzythepush

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:42 am
@Linkat,
It's down to you. I've only ever crossed a picket line once, and that was when I was working as a National Insurance inspector, about to deliver a **** ton of problems for the company in question.

The picketers clapped me as I walked through.

I would never cross a picket line without the support of those picketing, but that's me.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
My mother was convinced by the Stop and Shop picketers in Framingham to not shop there that day. She's almost 80. All she was looking for was particular rye bread. Went to four other stores to eventually find what she needs.

Do you have a Costco or Sam's you can goto ... and shop with like a day pass/guest pass?
Real Music

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 01:41 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
To be honest, I am not a huge supporter for this picket - more because there are lots of jobs available and if these employees do not like what their current company is offering, there are other similar stores within a couple of miles.

1. You stated that you are not a huge supporter of this picket.

2. Do you know the specific reasons the workers are picketing?
Sturgis

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:00 pm
@Linkat,
Only you know your mind. For myself, crossing a picket line is not to be done.

Quote:
I get gas points and better prices...

The store may offer these customer perks in exchange for giving the employees lower wages and benefits (healthcare, vacation, sick time, etc.)

Quote:
I am not a huge supporter of this picket...there are lots of jobs available...similar stores within a couple couple of miles...

The purpose of picketing is to get better wages, working conditions and benefits. Going to work at a different location or store or company does not help future generations of workers in these places.

The picketers are speaking out for everyone, both union and nonunion. With their efforts, people become more attuned to the pitiful wages which so many are expected to live on and are thereby led to losing the elected representatives to bring in higher minimum wage levels.

Picketers brought about things such as a more sane work week, she requirements, wage requirements and more.

Sure, we can return to the days of 6 and 7 day weeks at 12+ hours daily and of 4, 5 and 6 year olds toiling away. Picketers and unions eliminated that. Think about that when you consider crossing a picket line.
Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Quote:
I don't like them as much
ironically, that's exactly the way i feel about S+S ...

I think it depends where you live -- I used to like "Staah Maahket " better over S&S where I used to live -- I used to live North of Boston whereas now I am south of Boston --- maybe it is a North shore vs south shore thingy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

My mother was convinced by the Stop and Shop picketers in Framingham to not shop there that day. She's almost 80. All she was looking for was particular rye bread. Went to four other stores to eventually find what she needs.

Do you have a Costco or Sam's you can goto ... and shop with like a day pass/guest pass?

I have a BJs membership that I rarely use - have it at a deep discount. Thought about going there - but I really don't want that much in bulk of certain items.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:12 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
To be honest, I am not a huge supporter for this picket - more because there are lots of jobs available and if these employees do not like what their current company is offering, there are other similar stores within a couple of miles.

1. You stated that you are not a huge supporter of this picket.

2. Do you know the specific reasons the workers are picketing?

Yes - I have read the Unions side and the Corporate Side....
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:18 pm
@Sturgis,
I read both sides - and I don't have an issue with what the corporate side is saying.

I can understand being on the workers side as well - the things they are fighting for - has happened to me and worse - we did not get any raises (they are getting raises); their health care coverage is being reduced - mine has as well. Health care costs have skyrocketed - I don't like it but reality is if the cost goes up, everyone shares in the additional costs.

What the workers do not realize (and what I have experienced as well - we have had layoffs and jobs moving overseas) is that if they get too expensive, there will be less people employed. They might not be able to hire overseas for in store but, they already have some weird robot running around the store - they have more self service registers; as they get more expensive the robots become cheaper and they don't picket.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 07:35 pm
@Linkat,
If you wish to yes.

You are under no obligation to abide by their picket.

0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 08:01 pm
I crossed a picket line once. But those particular picketers did not deserve any consideration or respect. It was pretty funny when the company closed down a few years later and most of the people in that town lost their jobs.

I would choose to honor a picket line however if the picketers were decent human beings.
glitterbag

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 09:43 pm
@oralloy,
Yeah, it's always good for a laugh when a company shuts down or ships jobs over seas.

Personally, I don't have to like anyone for them to be able to get a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Company's like Walmart who pay very little, rely on taxpayer funded Welfare agencies to provide food, sometimes housing (section 8) and medical for their children if the wages are too low. Yes, I know that Walmart has slightly increased wages in room areas.

I would not cross a picket line.
0 Replies

rajvirsingh

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 04:16 am
You have the right to cross a picket line if you don't support the industrial action being taken. ...
0 Replies

thack45

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 05:30 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

...the things they are fighting for - has happened to me and worse - we did not get any raises (they are getting raises); their health care coverage is being reduced - mine has as well. Health care costs have skyrocketed - I don't like it but reality is if the cost goes up, everyone shares in the additional costs.

What the workers do not realize (and what I have experienced as well - we have had layoffs and jobs moving overseas) is that if they get too expensive, there will be less people employed. They might not be able to hire overseas for in store but, they already have some weird robot running around the store - they have more self service registers; as they get more expensive the robots become cheaper and they don't picket.

Yeah we really aced that whole land of liberty/freedom from tyranny thing, eh?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 06:23 am
@Linkat,
No. Go to BJ's and throw the leftovers out if you don't want them. Respect the people putting their jobs on the line.
tsarstepan

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 07:09 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

No. Go to BJ's and throw the leftovers out if you don't want them. Respect the people putting their jobs on the line.

Or donate the leftovers if a homeless shelter is readily nearby.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 07:13 am
Here's a hypothetical question: What if the picket line walkers were ... in fact... professional picket line walkers? And by not crossing the picket line? You were acknowleding the questionable company the picketers were protesting. And by crossing the picket lines? That's how you supported the activist workers?

#kindofmakesyouthink(IMaybeaNutcase).
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I cross the picket line?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.85 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 08:59:10