jclbiz

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:20 pm
Anyone know the BTU content of soyoil (anyvegy oil) Pet diesel is 19k
per lb.?? But how does it pencil out for a farmer to sell into the open
mkt. W/ bean oil @ .24 per lb. (7 lbs=gal??) Or process into fuel and
ship it to a distrubution point. Then compeat W/ diesel?? I hpoe we can
do this even if even steven so as to help the farmer (THE american)

Then what about ethanol?? All the questions about energy content and
MPG.

W/ crude near $75+ and if Vensawale (sp) cuts us off, we could be
faced W/ some pricy gasoline.

Lets just get a hydregon fuel cel in mass prod. tommorow and all will
be fine
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,391 • Replies: 5
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:17 pm
Soybean oil has a Btu rating of about 17,000Btu/lb, compared to roughly 19,000Btu/lb for standard #2 Diesel. Soybean oil begins to thicken appreciably at 30° Farenheit, compared to 0° F. for #2 Diesel. While soybean oil is a renewable, its production cost, from farm to fuel, is considerably greater than the production cost of #2 Diesel, and would be even if the cost of crude oil were even to double from current levels . Biofuel is a great idea, but its an idea that needs a bunch more thinking before it becomes viable in the marketplace.

As an additive to conventional diesel fuel, however, at relatively low concentrations - 2% to 10% bio-oil bended 90% to 98% #2 Diesel, soybean oil does have some beneficial impact on overall noxious emmissions, particularly as regards Carbon Monoxide. There is some benefit to the service life of crankcase lubricating oil as well, with a blended-fuel engine getting around 20% longer lubricating oil life than does an engine un on straight #2 Diesel. Still, biofuel as yet doesn't come close to passing the cost/benefit test.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:00 pm
Diesel isnt just a distillate, its a complex ester. So In order to make it you have to convert the soy/diesel mix into a complex ester. For this you must (dont know the gravimetrics wihout goin to some site and lookin it up so just believe I cant be more than 100% off here,Its a wag) mix ethyl or methyl alk into the mix at about 5% FOR Bio 20 , up to 50% for about a Bio 80. Then you have to thermally react the alcohol with the two organic acids in a catalyst to esterify the whole thing which, I think is gonna be somewhat energy intensive.
Timbers right about biodiesel Its always gonna top over the regular diesel price, Its only gonna be cheaper if the alcohol goes down . Besides, most biodiesels have all kinds of additives for the injectors . I try some every so often jut to give that "fresh cooked donut" smell to my exhaust. I havent noticed anything different. Right now I cant make any comparisons cause I cant get biodiesel in Pa, only NJ and Md, and the tax structures are different all over.
0 Replies

jclbiz

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
Thanks Timber and Farmerman. You Guys know UR Stuff. And good point about tax structures
in various venues.
Have heard the addition of acetone in minute
amounts will benifit MPG in gas and diesel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 06:23 am
Well, acetone or any other ketone or just about any lighter ether will help in adding oxygen to the mix. In a ketone , the Oxygen is a double bonded
sidecar" while in an ether, the oxygen binds together two organic bases.
However,Im not a big fan of ass end combustion products that are more crappy than the original. Like they add MTBE to gas or diesel which, while its good for mileage and particulates, gives off an alcohol which is a known carcinogen (MTBA).Id imagine that incomplete combustion will do the same to any
additive. Combustion is never complete in a diesel Look at all the **** that comes out the end when you first start the engine. Its almost pure aspirated product

I dont know anything about the tax structure since , whenever I put a tank of biodiesel in, the prices reflect the tax of the particular state and in Md its about 2.55, while in NJ its about 2.35. I know that most of the cost is taxes. The big tax breaks for alternative fuels went out with Reagan, who, being one who talked about "Energy policy" did more to discourage innovation in order to cut taxes.
0 Replies

iowa

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:28 am
farmerman-you and timber have some good knowledge of this topic. I am wondering what about burning soyoil (or any veg oil) as a replacement for fuel oil or heating oil? Do you have any insights?

curious
0 Replies