Richard Perle Accuses Sy Hersh of Being a Terrorist

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 02:26 am
March 10, 2003
Richard Perle Accuses Sy Hersh of Being a Terrorist
BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS

On the Sunday, March 9th CNN Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer, Richard Perle accused New Yorker Magazine investigative reporter Seymour Hersh of being a terrorist.

Here is an excerpt from the CNN Rush Transcript:
http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0303/09/le.00.html

BLITZER: Let me read a quote from the New Yorker article, the March 17th issue, just out now. "There is no question that Perle believes that removing Saddam from power is the right thing to do. At the same time, he has set up a company that may gain from a war."

PERLE: I don't believe that a company would gain from a war. On the contrary, I believe that the successful removal of Saddam Hussein, and I've said this over and over again, will diminish the threat of terrorism. And what he's talking about is investments in homeland defense, which I think are vital and are necessary.

Look, Sy Hersh is the closest thing American journalism has to a terrorist, frankly.

BLITZER: Well, on the basis of -- why do you say that? A terrorist?

PERLE: Because he's widely irresponsible. If you read the article, it's first of all, impossible to find any consistent theme in it. But the suggestion that my views are somehow related for the potential for investments in homeland defense is complete nonsense.

BLITZER: But I don't understand. Why do you accuse him of being a terrorist?

PERLE: Because he sets out to do damage and he will do it by whatever innuendo, whatever distortion he can -- look, he hasn't written a serious piece since My Lai.

BUZZFLASH NEWS ANALYSIS
---------------------------------------

IS PERLE'S COMMENT ABOUT HERSH PERSONAL? 03-09-03

An e-mail prompting a google search found a rather interesting item:

IN 1970 the Federal Bureau of Investigation caught Richard Perle passing US secrets to Israel. According to Seymour Hersh's The Price of Power (1983) pg 322:

In mid-October 1970, [Henry] Kissinger testified, when a second wiretap was authorized for Helmut Sonnenfeldt, who was Kissinger's closest friend on the NSC [National Security Council] staff, his role was even more tangential.... Richard N. Perle, a foreign policy aide to Senator Jackson, was overheard discussing classified information that had been supplied to him by someone on the National Security Council Staff..... Kissinger - perhaps seeking to ward off a Nixon explosion - handed him (Haldeman) the FBI wiretap on the Israeli embassy and requested that the FBI be assigned to determine which NSC staff member was in contact with Richard Perle... Kissinger had to know that Hoover and Haldeman would suspect Sonnenfeldt, who was known from previous wiretaps to have close ties to the Israelis as well as Perle.

So that's what this may be all about. Hersh blew the whistle on Perle's passing of classified information to the Israelis thirty years ago. Isn't passing classified information on to a foreign government a crime?
Hmmmm.

This certainly helps to explain that rather over-the-top comment, doesn't it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:49 am
the thought plickens
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:53 am
(From Sheila Samples' excellent essay, 'Onward Christian Soldiers')

"(Richard) Perle, the brutish chairman of the Defense Policy Board over at Rummy's Little Shop of Horrors, is the inspiration for establishing the new world order by waging violent, endless war. It is only with great effort that Perle refrains from stomping his cloven hooves as he quivers with anticipation at the thought of impending chaos and destruction. Perle told filmmaker and journalist John Pilger late last year, "This is total war. We are fighting a variety of enemies. There are lots of them out there... If we just let our vision of the world go forth, and we embrace it entirely, and we don't try to piece together clever diplomacy, but just wage a total war... our children will sing great songs about us years from now..."

Verily, mine eyes have seen the Glory.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 05:23 pm
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:49 pm
MoDo, NYT, tomorrow:

It's Richard Perle's world. We're just fighting in it.

The Prince of Darkness, a man who whips up revelatory soufflés and revolutionary pre-emption doctrines with equal ease, took a victory lap at the American Enterprise Institute on Friday morning.

The critical battle for Baghdad was yet to come and "Shock and Awe" was still a few hours away. (The hawks, who are trying to send a message to the world not to mess with America, might have preferred an even more intimidating bombing campaign title, like "Operation Who's Your Daddy?")

Yet Mr. Perle, an adviser to Donald Rumsfeld, could not resist a little pre-emptive crowing about pre-emption, predicting "a general recognition that high moral purpose has been achieved here. Millions of people have been liberated."

His conservative audience at the Reagan shrine's "black coffee briefing" (they're too macho for milk and sugar) was buzzed that their cherished dream of saving Iraq by bombing it was under way.

The chesty "you repent, we decide" Bush doctrine was cooked up pre-Bush, fashioned over the last 12 years by conservatives like Mr. Perle, Mr. Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Scooter Libby, Douglas Feith and Bill Kristol.

Perle's Plunder Blunder
0 Replies