euthanasia

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:48 pm
Im sure someone has brought this up but i didn't see it and have been thinking alot about it tonight. I think it has become a "hot" issue right now because of Million Dollar babies the clint eastwood movie and the terry shiavo incident.

What are you guys opinions on euthanasia?

Do you think it takes away human dignity. In my book starving another human being until they die is not very dignified(in the case with schiavo)for example. Her parents were willing to take care of her but her husband claimed she didn't want to live. So is it ok for the state to get involved in these cases and decide. Polls show that the majority says the shouldn't. So then is the docotors choice. I heard a disturbing point made recently that when doctors see no chance in a babys survival or if they are severly brain damaged doctors will often times pull the plug. In some cases they consult the parents but in others they do not. Is it right for another person to determine the fate of someone else. In oregon people are allowed to choose if they want to have doctors pull the plug also Holland. But hollands stand on it i think is much worse. Parents are allowed to be as selfish as to say they don't want to keep their baby if it comes out with a disability or retardation. Because they do not want to raise the child.

Also if we allow people will severe illness to engage in euthanasia then will severy depressed people be able to go into the the doctors and say"yo doc i can't stand this place can you kill me" why can we kill people with severe illness and not people with severe psychological issues. How will we draw the line?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 568 • Replies: 4
No top replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:52 pm
Very difficult to draw the line.

I believe if a person wants to end their own life, they should be allowed to do it.

If a person is not mentally capable of making the decision (is in a coma for many years, on life support, etc) then I think its a tough call. I can empathize with each side of the argument on that. This is one of the few issues where I feel right in the middle on. Its tough. What do you do when someone is in a coma, there is a chance they will be a vegetable like that for next 50 years and just be a drain on society, and there is a chance they will wake up at any moment (or any year)?
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
extra medium wrote:

I believe if a person wants to end their own life, they should be allowed to do it.

Lol maybe we could give them them a 6 month waiting period though cause they will probally change their mind Laughing
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:13 pm
Discreet wrote:
extra medium wrote:

Lol maybe we could give them them a 6 month waiting period though cause they will probally change their mind Laughing

Society kind of does this now. We discourage it and make it illegal to commit suicide and lock someone up if they try it.

But if they are determined and really want to do it, they will succeed.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 09:19 pm
extra medium wrote:
But if they are determined and really want to do it, they will succeed.

Exactly. It is surprisingly difficult to kill the human body. Our regenerative abilities and resilient nature, combined with modern medicine, makes it so that people can survive a great many things.

Yet if you truly want to die, it can be done with a little effort.
0 Replies