phpBB: Critical Error . . . WTF

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:57 pm
Over the last few weeks, i have often had the experience of not being able to navigate this site. I will click on a navigational link, and get a page which reads:

phpBB: Critical Error

Not able to connect to the database

The wording of that may not be exact, but it's damned close. So i'd like to know if anyone can enlighten me as to the meaning of these events. The troubleshooting methods i learned for electronics suggest to me that the problem is neither with my box nor the ISP, as this does not happen with other web sites which i visit. However, given the millions of sites out there, and the few hundred at most i may visit in a year's time, i don't really have a statistically significant sample from which to judge.

Anyone got any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,666 • Replies: 7
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:04 pm
yep
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:05 pm
i believe those are related to the big problem,and when they happen, they happen to everybody...
0 Replies

fishin

Usually it means that the web interface software (phpBB) can't talk to the database software that stores all of our user data and posts.

You clicked on a link of some sort and it couldn't make the connection to give you back the info you requested so basically, it died an unflattering death.

If it's just a momentary burp (like to many people ion at once) retrying will work in a few minutes. If it's a serious problem someone at the hosting site or one of the admins has to give things a kick start to get it rolling again.

You are right that it isn't your PC or ISP. The problem would be at the site's server.
0 Replies

husker

I usually have a panic attack everytime I see that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
I don't, i just get annoyed at being obliged to actually work . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
Seems to happen fairly often. Is this also related to things just hanging for what seems like forever (minutes really) when you press enter?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
Quote:
I don't, i just get annoyed at being obliged to actually work . . .

do what i do -- play solitaire Smile
0 Replies