Woodpecker Thought Extinct Rediscovered

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
Woodpecker Thought Extinct Rediscovered

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 40 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The ivory-billed woodpecker, a striking bird that once flourished in the forests of the Southeast but was thought to have become extinct, has reportedly been sighted in eastern Arkansas, a Cornell University researcher says in a paper released Thursday.

John W. Fitzpatrick said there have been several independent sightings of a bird that appears to be an ivory-billed woodpecker.

A video clip of one bird, though blurry, shows key features, including the size and markings, Fitzpatrick reported.

"The bird captured on video is clearly an ivory-billed woodpecker. Amazingly, America may have another chance to protect the future of this spectacular bird and the awesome forests in which it lives," Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, said in a statement.

Interior Secretary Gale Norton called the find an "exciting opportunity.

"Second chances to save wildlife once thought to be extinct are rare .. we will take advantage of this opporunity," she said at a news conference.

Norton and Agriculture Secretary Mikle Johanns promised federal assistance to work with the state and local residents to protect this bird.

"Don't love this bird to death," Norton added, saying there has not been time to make plans for public access to view the bird.

Once prized by Indians who believed that its bill possessed magical powers, the ivory bill was also hunted in the late 19th and 20th centuries for its feathers, popular on ladies hats. Loss of habitat was its main threat, however.

Fitzpatrick's report was released by the American
Association for the Advancement of Science, which is publishing it in the journal Science, and also announced by the Nature Conservancy.

The ivory-billed woodpecker, one of the largest such birds in the world, is one of six North American bird species thought to have become extinct since 1880. While somewhat rare, the bird ranged widely across the southeastern United States until logging eliminated many forests between 1880 and the 1940s.

Sometimes called the white-back, pearly bill, poule de bois and even Lord God bird, the ivory bill was known for the two-note rap of its bill as it ripped into tree bark in search of edible grubs and beetle larvae.

There have been anecdotal reports of the birds, but the last conclusive sighting in continental North America was in 1944 in northern Louisiana. A subspecies of the bird has been reported in Cuba.

The new sightings have been in the Big Woods region of Arkansas and each involved a different person or group, Fitzpatrick said.

About 40 percent of the forest in this region is approaching maturity, and nearby land has been reforested in the last decade.

Fitzpatrick identified the bird by magnifying and analyzing individual frames of the video clip.

With a three-foot wingspan the bird is larger than a pileated woodpecker, which is similar in appearance, and has the black-and-while markings of the ivory-billed bird.

The Nature Conservancy, which has protected a large segment of land in the area, reported that the first sighting came on Feb. 11, 2004, by George Sparling of Hot Springs, Ark.

After learning of the sighting, Tim Gallagher of Cornell and Bobby Harrison of Oakwood College in Huntsville, Ala., traveled to the area with Sparling and also sighted the bird. Other sightings followed, including one on April 25, 2004, in which David Luneau of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock videotaped the bird taking off from the trunk of a tree.

The Nature Conservancy reported 15 sightings of the bird in 7,000 hours of search time concentrating on a 16-square-mile area.

___

Video clip of bird: http://wid.ap.org/video/woodpecker.mov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,536 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
Neat. I was just going to post this, Bob.

My first thought... they've been seeing this since Feb.2004 and this is the first I've heard of it. Shocking. I thought I was on top of the news.

I couldn't get the video clip to work though. I'm going to try to find it online. Thanks!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:46 pm
I saw a photo of the bird. Beautiful.

(Now don't let our resident gun nut know about this. I know what he'll want to do...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
Yep... I copied the link to an address line and then it worked. Sort of a brief glimpse. I missed it the first time through. It flew low, as do the large woodpeckers we have in the PNW -- the Pileated Woodpeckers.

Cornell says they are not closely related, but they do look similar:

A comparison of Ivory-Billed & Pileated Woodpeckers
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:52 pm
I just read that quote from Sec'y Norton: "We will take advantage of this opportunity."

To do what, drill for oil in the general vicinity?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 05:36 pm
I've seen reports of sightings for years now but none confirmed.The ivory billed is larger than the pileated.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:56 pm
Larger, yes, but there is a bit of an overlap. This is an interesting quote from the Fish & Wildlife bulletin regarding Ivory-billed vs Pileated sightings:

Quote:
These incorrect identifications have resulted in a large number of false reports, so many that it has been impossible to investigate all of them. Perhaps this has resulted in the overlooking of some genuine sightings.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:02 pm
I can't believe the ivory-billed is larger than the pileated. I have a few pileated woodpeckers that fly in to wreak havoc on my tree stumps and they look like pterodactyls when they glide in for their bug quest.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:18 pm
Pterodactyl is right -- they seem huge. They've got that cool jungle bird-call, too. Very interesting critters.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:23 pm
The ivory-billed is huge, wingspan of three feet or more. Piffka, the reason you haven't seen it on the news until just now is because they've been trying to keep it a secret. If you read the NYTimes article, you'll see they're still not telling the press the exact location of the nesting place. These birds need to be protected from trigger-happy souvenir hunters.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:33 pm
Trigger-happy? I guess there is some ass who would think the best thing to do is shoot one.

I'm just pleased that there might be some left. It is really good news to me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:36 pm
I agree. I was thrilled.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:37 pm
Five years ago, on another forum, a man who had recently moved to Arkansas claimed he was out chopping wood when he saw a strange bird. He asked people on the board if anyone could tell him what it was. He described this bird exactly. One member of the board told him it sounded like an ivory billed woodpecker, but it couldn't have been because it was extinct. Never found out if the guy reported the sighting or not.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:50 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Five years ago, on another forum, a man who had recently moved to Arkansas claimed he was out chopping wood when he saw a strange bird. He asked people on the board if anyone could tell him what it was. He described this bird exactly. One member of the board told him it sounded like an ivory billed woodpecker, but it couldn't have been because it was extinct. Never found out if the guy reported the sighting or not.

Interesting. Is that still an existing forum?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm
I don't know. I was just browsing around (the same way I found this place), hung out for awhile and eventually must have removed it from my bookmarks. I do know it was about small scale farming, modern homesteading and such.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
Hmmm. I browse around like that too. There are a lot of forums, but very few are as large or active as a2k, I think.

I found this website:

http://www.defenders.org/pubs/refugear.html

listing all the Wildlife Refuges of Arkansas.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I can't believe the ivory-billed is larger than the pileated. I have a few pileated woodpeckers that fly in to wreak havoc on my tree stumps and they look like pterodactyls when they glide in for their bug quest.

We have Pileated's here also. They're so big they make a thump noise when they land on a tree. Spectacular birds.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:42 am
Ark. Man Recalls Finding Rare Woodpecker

By MELISSA NELSON, Associated Press Writer 58 minutes ago

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Gene Sparling was kayaking when he spotted a large black-and-white bird. It looked like an ivory-billed woodpecker, last spotted in North America 60 years ago. His eyes must be playing tricks, he thought. Maybe it was a common pileated woodpecker.

"As a young birder, I used to dream of finding a lost colony of ivory-billed woodpeckers. It was just too miraculous to imagine," Sparling said Thursday after a news conference in Washington where he joined federal officials in announcing his sighting.

Sparling spotted the ivory-billed woodpecker on Feb. 11, 2004, along the Cache River in eastern Arkansas, but wasn't sure how to let others know about his find. He recognized the bird from his readings as an amateur bird watcher and bird photographer.

"I was very familiar with the legend of the ivory-billed," said Sparling, who lives in Hot Springs.

The species is one of six North American bird species thought to have become extinct since 1880. Indians believed the bird's bill had magical powers. Its habitat was largely eliminated between 1880 and the 1940s because of logging. The last official ivory-bill sighting was in 1944 in northern Louisiana.

"My first thought was 'My God. It's the largest pileated woodpecker I've seen in my life,'" said Sparling, 49. Ivory-billed woodpeckers are a little larger than an average crow, with a wing span of about 19 inches.

He later decided to mention the sighting in a "cryptic note" on The Arkansas Canoe Club Web site and continued to research his find. He then posted a report on the Web. Researchers from Cornell University saw the report and contacted Sparling.

"I arranged for them to meet me out there (on the Cache River)," he said. "The second day out, the bird flew right in front of them."

The sightings prompted the university and conservation groups to coordinate a yearlong project to gather information about the bird. More than 50 researchers spent thousands of hours in the Cache River and White River national wild refuges gathering information. So far, they have only spotted one male bird at a time.

Keeping the project under wraps wasn't easy, said Jay Harrod, spokesman for the Nature Conservancy in Arkansas.

"Several people didn't think it would be kept secret for two months, let alone 14 months plus. Brinkley is a small town and we had all of these people with out-of-state license plates going in and out of the swamps," he said.

Now that word is out, the conservation groups plan to protect the area by limiting access and eventually creating a visitors' area for visitors near the ivory-billed's habitat.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has already closed access to the area where the bird was sighted, Harrod said.

Sparling said he was overwhelmed to be the person responsible for the discovery.

"I get all choked up thinking about it," he said. "I view it as a marvelous miraculous gift not just for me but for all of mankind."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
The Ivory-billed Woodpecker (Campephilus principalis) is a member of the woodpecker family, Picidae. It is officially listed as an endangered species, and has been considered extinct since 1994. The reason for its decline is almost certainly loss of habitat. However, conclusive sightings of at least one male bird in Arkansas in 2004 and 2005 were reported in April 2005 (abstract

The Ivory-billed Woodpecker is one of the largest woodpeckers in the world. It is about the size of a crow, measuring from 18 to 20 in. (46-51 cm) in length, with short legs and feet ending in large, curved claws.

The bird is shiny blue-black in color with extensive white markings on its wings and neck. It can be identified by its pure white bill, which distinguishes it from the darker-billed Pileated Woodpecker, as well as by a prominent top crest, red in the male and black in the female. A true woodpecker, it has a strong and straight chisel-like bill and a long, mobile, hard-tipped, sticky tongue. Its drum is a single or double rap, and its alarm call, a kent or hant, sounding like a toy trumpet repeated in a series or as a double note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory-billed_Woodpecker
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:51 pm
Thank you. bobsmyth.
0 Replies