Drug Smuggling

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:36 am
Ok, so all you fellow aussies must have seen or heard about the bali 9. There's also a big row about how the Gov should not have let them be arrested in Indonesia where death penalty is almost imminent but in Australia.

Who thinks what of that issue?

also, what opinions do you have about Shepelle Corby? I think that she is innocent but the opinion at uni here is varied.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,077 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:17 pm
I think that a condition of entry to a foreign country is that you respect their laws. YOu also have to be careful. Even if she was innocent, it was very foolish of Shapelle Corby not to properly secure her luggage.

I think it's rough that Shapelle Corby is getting 20 years in jail for being caught with a little pot, but , then again, not as tragic as the 20,000 people around the world who die daily as a result of poverty.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:25 pm
Another A2K Corby thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52583&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
Odd Socks wrote:
I think that a condition of entry to a foreign country is that you respect their laws.

I agree with you 100 percent that we must respect anothers laws. I myself do not like it when there is "foreign interference" in respect of chinese legal system - and thus, altho I have doubts about the guilty verdict, I accept it. If she is innocent, the appeal should fix it up. And really, I don't think that the response from Australia (eg - sending bio chemical weapons and stopping tourism to bali) is appropriate. not a bit.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:54 pm

Thank you for that!! I cannot believe I missed it!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:56 pm
Re: Drug Smuggling
pragmatic wrote:
Ok, so all you fellow aussies must have seen or heard about the bali 9. There's also a big row about how the Gov should not have let them be arrested in Indonesia where death penalty is almost imminent but in Australia.

Let them? I doubt there's any "let" involved. You should not only respect the laws of any country you're visiting, you're darn well subject to them.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:44 pm
If you can't do the time
don't do the crime.

I know it's old, but still, hey dumb@ss, you got caught! In a country that kill people smuggling drugs. I think she got a good deal. Damn good deal.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:45 pm
amen to roger.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:08 am
Re: Drug Smuggling
roger wrote:
pragmatic wrote:

Let them? I doubt there's any "let" involved. You should not only respect the laws of any country you're visiting, you're darn well subject to them.

It's a bit more complicated than that, Roger. Not that you would have been in any position to know this. There's been debate here about the circumstances of the arrest of "Bali 9" by Indonesian police in Bali. Apparently the Australian authorities knew that they were carrying drugs through Indonesia (Bali) & alerted the Indonesian authorities, which led to the arrests. The point of contention is this: Australia has abolished the death sentence. In Indonesia drug smuggling generally leads to a death sentence. Some civil libertarians in Australia have argued that the Australian Authorities should have waited until the Bali 9 arrived in Australia & dealt with their crime here, via Australian law, rather than exposing them to a (likely) death sentence.
0 Replies

MaNdiE2

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:12 am
People should not believe what the media portrays to be the full truth... As it is well known people will watch the news and read the papers if they can relate to the article in Corby's case a "proposed innocent woman" who faced death in a harsh country. Thus the media will shape the information in such way to keep this belief. It is rediculous the amount of people who say that she was not treaded justly and that it is up to Howard to do something about it. 1. Do the research other than watching the news before blaming. 2. Realize that many people other than shapelle corby are arresed every day for far less convincing charges 3. Howard should not jeopardize our relations with our neighbouring countries for woman who DID bring drugs in to their country (no matter how they got there) and most importantly 4. I am sure that that Judge knows alot more about both Australian Law and Indonesian Law as well as observing the evidence which makes his verdict more substancial that any hearsay. Evil or Very Mad

In the case of the Bali 9, whether or not the Australian Authorities knew.. they entered a country with drugs and they knew it was illegal. They deserve what they get and It is not like the Australian Authorities shipped them there, its where they were caught and where they intentionally headed
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:09 pm
~MaNdiE~ wrote:
In the case of the Bali 9, whether or not the Australian Authorities knew.. they entered a country with drugs and they knew it was illegal. They deserve what they get and It is not like the Australian Authorities shipped them there, its where they were caught and where they intentionally headed

I'm right behind you there - personally, I don't think it should matter whether or not the Australia authorities had contacted Ind gov in the way they did and whether they had any other motives or not. They knew it was wrong, they were dumb enough to persist, they got caught in that country and they are subject to that countries laws. Full stop and any interference in another countries laws is unacceptable foreign interference.
0 Replies