Afterlife?

Discreet

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:59 pm
I hear god has some dank ass pot nugs though. We ll be learning life's lessons while we blaze this herbal essence

yeah i used to always think youd get bored in heaven but there is one thing to look foward too...If you read reveleation it talks about jesus coming down to earth on a white horse and all his followers behind him like warriors and they clash with the devil and everyone from hell.

So while heaven may be boring for a while just be patient demon ass whooping is around the corner
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:02 pm
Discreet wrote:
I hear god has some dank ass pot nugs though. We ll be learning life's lessons while we blaze this herbal essence

yeah i used to always think youd get bored in heaven but there is one thing to look foward too...If you read reveleation it talks about jesus coming down to earth on a white horse and all his followers behind him like warriors and they clash with the devil and everyone from hell.

So while heaven may be boring for a while just be patient demon ass whooping is around the corner

Hell, that sounds pretty cool.

But honestly, I kind of hope I'm already in heaven by the time all that comes down.

Can I just watch it all from above or something? Kind of like a coliseum.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:13 pm
tcis wrote:
Discreet wrote:

Hell, that sounds pretty cool.

But honestly, I kind of hope I'm already in heaven by the time all that comes down.

Can I just watch it all from above or something? Kind of like a coliseum.

Yes, perhaps its like a weekly battle between good & evil.

Kind of like NFL Football or Smackdown Wrestling.

Sitting around in heaven drinkng wine that doesn't work watching battles between Good & Evil below.

hmmmm....got to be more than this...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:37 pm
How do you suppose that your memories, emotions and self-awareness can exist after the neurons which store the memories rot away, the chemicals that create the emotions are no longer secreted, and the body that is the source of the sensations of which you are aware returns to dust?

When you are dead, how will you see without eyes to collect photons and a visual cortex to process them? How will you feel without nerves? How will you think without a brain? Do you all think this stuff just happens by magic, or what?

Enjoy life while you are alive. There is no afterlife after death.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:53 pm
Terry wrote:
How do you suppose that your memories, emotions and self-awareness can exist after the neurons which store the memories rot away, the chemicals that create the emotions are no longer secreted, and the body that is the source of the sensations of which you are aware returns to dust?

When you are dead, how will you see without eyes to collect photons and a visual cortex to process them? How will you feel without nerves? How will you think without a brain? Do you all think this stuff just happens by magic, or what?

Enjoy life while you are alive. There is no afterlife after death.

Point taken.

But how do you know there is magnetism or radio waves? There are things that exist right now which we can't see with our eyes, for example.

Perhaps there are aspects to our existence which we can not see, feel, hear, or touch with our physical nerves.

Perhaps there is an essence of us that is eternal.

And yes, we cannot see, feel, or hear this essence with our eyes or nerves.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:38 am
Tcis, we can detect magnetism and radio waves by their physical effects and devise theories about how they work. We have yet to detect any non-material essence or any reason why such a thing could - or should - exist.

If there is an eternal aspect of our existence, why would it be degraded in living people whose brains are damaged by disease, drugs, or trauma?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:57 am
Terry wrote:
If there is an eternal aspect of our existence, why would it be degraded in living people whose brains are damaged by disease, drugs, or trauma?

One idea some believe (and I have sympathy for this view):

We are here to learn.

We may only be able to use this body for 10 years or 90 years to learn.
Doesn't matter.

I have no scientific proof to offer you for this.

But I feel it pretty strongly.

Could be a mind trick. Thats okay, if thats what it is, I am okay with that.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:58 am
Terry wrote:
Tcis, we can detect magnetism and radio waves by their physical effects and devise theories about how they work. We have yet to detect any non-material essence or any reason why such a thing could - or should - exist.

So do you think we are basically chimps, animals whatever, and when our bodies die it is basically lights out?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 01:32 am
extra medium wrote:
So do you think we are basically chimps, animals whatever, and when our bodies die it is basically lights out?

Yes. We are more than animals while alive, but once our bodies die that particular spark of intelligent awareness goes out forever.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
Terry wrote:
extra medium wrote:

Yes. We are more than animals while alive, but once our bodies die that particular spark of intelligent awareness goes out forever.

In what way are we "more than animals"? Just that extra spark of intelligence?
0 Replies

Discreet

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 08:40 pm
extra medium wrote:
Terry wrote:

One idea some believe (and I have sympathy for this view):

We are here to learn.

We may only be able to use this body for 10 years or 90 years to learn.
Doesn't matter.

I have no scientific proof to offer you for this.

But I feel it pretty strongly.

Could be a mind trick. Thats okay, if thats what it is, I am okay with that.

Im not religious but i always like the christians views toward life. That you are hear to find good in they eye of god and not be a kind of sty. Your time on earth is to be used to find jesus so that you can get into heaven. I have tons of reasons why i don't believe in religion but i just liked that idea more then we are hear to learn or because of random chance, evolution nature yadadaya i wanna feel a higher purpose. Maybe that feeling is shared by many explaining why its easy to turn to religion
0 Replies