Are there any True Christians on Able2Know?

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 10:00 am
The Bible is gives quite clear instructions on how we can detect trust Christians. We are told that we will know who the Christians are "by their love".

The Apostle Paul in the Epistle to the Galatians wrote:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

There seems several people here invoking the name of Jesus who are anything but joyful, peaceful, self-controlled or kind. This is a political form of Christianity that has nothing to do with the gospel or example of Christ. It seems like the nastiest, must insulting and hateful behavior is coming from people who are claiming to be Christians.

Is there anyone here who acts in a way that merciful, patient and kind who claims to be following Jesus? If following Jesus just turns people into nasty jerks, then what's the point.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Which people are you referring to?

If it's in religion/religious based threads, don't pay it much mind. Some are perhaps just starting out on their Christian faith journey. Others may be Christians from day one. Either way people are people and as such are susceptible to sin and error. If they are truly penitent and remorseful, seeking forgiveness from their God, then that is how they live.

If the reference point is those claiming to be Christians in other threads, does it matter? Keep with the thread topic of that is what got you into the thread.

In any case, so you really want to devote so much energy to such things as their imperfections?

As for me, I don't consider myself to be a Christian, even though I was raised primarily Methodist. (I was also raised partially Jewish). That to the side, I have a belief in some sort of higher/greater power-essence.

So, are you addressing just Christians or all God believers?
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:27 pm
When it comes to online forums, i think there is a level of 'disconnect' from the humanity side of things..... if that makes any sense?

On the internet forum, you never see a tear, or a smile or a frown, all the body language humans need to communicate naturally.

And the other thing is.... people who are like minded tend to hang together in real life, but on the internet you are throwing every different person and belief together in one room.... imagine if you threw all the different Christian faiths together in one room in real life to discuss their beliefs, what do you think will happen?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:34 pm
@mystikmind,
Quote:
imagine if you threw all the different Christian faiths together in one room in real life to discuss their beliefs, what do you think will happen?

I would rather not imagine this...

If a belief in Jesus means anything, it should cause people to act with love and respect for their fellow human beings whether they reciprocate or not. This is a main theme in Jesus' message.

Seeing Christians act so hatefully toward other people makes the message of Christ is meaningless.
mystikmind

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Let me ask you this? How did Jesus behave towards the money changers in the temple?

Being Christian does not mean having the absence of anger, it means the absence of selfishness.

Christians can bicker over details, that is a side show, the real test comes when you are called upon to roll up your sleeves and help others..... its like one of those movies where the characters that hate each other end up pulling together to save the day when the **** hits the fan..... i like to think most bickering Christians have such a hero inside just waiting for the opportunity to shine! Smile
Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 11:09 pm
The problem is that most Christians have no clear idea what they are supposed to believe, and that is because most denominations don't teach doctrines. They teach traditions, and members think they are holy cops protecting their denomination from unbelievers and trolls.

The correction is to simply read your bible. Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place just by looking at a calendar. Then read Romans through 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember passages. That is the part that applies to Christians.

Bear in mind that denominations exist specifically to deny one or another concept in the bible, so you can't expect people you meet to agree with what you learn from the bible. For instance, a lot of people believe the trinity even though everybody knows it's not in the bible. But some of them will get very ugly trying to prove to you that it is in the bible. There is just no point in talking to such people.
BillRM

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:47 am
@Jewels Vern,
Jewels Vern wrote:

The problem is that most Christians have no clear idea what they are supposed to believe, and that is because most denominations don't teach doctrines. They teach traditions, and members think they are holy cops protecting their denomination from unbelievers and trolls.

The correction is to simply read your bible. Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place just by looking at a calendar. Then read Romans through 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember passages. That is the part that applies to Christians.

Bear in mind that denominations exist specifically to deny one or another concept in the bible, so you can't expect people you meet to agree with what you learn from the bible. For instance, a lot of people believe the trinity even though everybody knows it's not in the bible. But some of them will get very ugly trying to prove to you that it is in the bible. There is just no point in talking to such people.

LOL reading the family King James Bible was the very reason I became an atheist at a young age.

What an evil god even with his son thrown in to the picture.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:48 pm
If Christians absorbed the teachings of Christ rather than the interpretations of a particular preacher they might consider themselves Christians. That would mean ignoring the old testament.
0 Replies

mystikmind

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:26 pm
@BillRM,
You must have read Job....
God wants to test Jobs faith, so among other things his family is destroyed.... but apparently that is fine because, yay, here is a new one!

Hmmm.....

I have to say, i believe the Bible wrongly interpreted the nature of God in Job, if not, that is HIGHLY disturbing!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:01 pm
@mystikmind,
mystikmind wrote:

Let me ask you this? How did Jesus behave towards the money changers in the temple?

Being Christian does not mean having the absence of anger, it means the absence of selfishness.

Christians can bicker over details, that is a side show, the real test comes when you are called upon to roll up your sleeves and help others..... its like one of those movies where the characters that hate each other end up pulling together to save the day when the **** hits the fan..... i like to think most bickering Christians have such a hero inside just waiting for the opportunity to shine! Smile

I never did understood what the hell Jesus problem with the money changers happen to be as without their service of changing the donated money into a form the Temple could accept the Temple could not have connection to operate.

Next what kind of gold merchants would not have had guards and personal weapons on hand to keep their gold/coin supply safe. A nut with a whip would had likely had a sword in his guts in short order.
mystikmind

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:35 pm
@BillRM,
My guess is that they were dishonest and or disrespectful of the temple.

I never thought about them attacking Jesus? Perhaps they were afraid? He has the support of the crowd? And or perhaps is is simply the fact that the sun of God is exercising his righteous fury in your face and who would not be petrified by that?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 07:48 am
You greatly misunderstand the story of Jesus at the temple. This story does not give Christians an excuse to act badly toward other people. Quite the opposite.

What Jesus hated more than anything else was religious hypocrisy; where religious people use their own smug sense of superiority to justify treating other people badly. Jesus acted with compassion toward people from tax-collectors to prostitutes. What angered him was religious people. I don't think there is a single example of Jesus getting angry at anyone who wan't a good religious person.

On Able2know (and elsewhere) we see people waving their Christianity around like a flag while throwing insults and making nasty threats. Instead of becoming like Jesus, they chose to become like the religious people Jesus was opposing.

The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, forgiveness and kindness... where are these Christians? If being a Christian makes you an angry jerk, then what is the point?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 08:45 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The fruits of the Spirit are love, joy, peace, forgiveness and kindness... where are these Christians?

They're out there.

Quote:
A science teacher from rural Kenya who donates most of his salary to help poorer students has been crowned the world’s best teacher and awarded a $1m prize, beating 10,000 nominations from 179 countries.

Peter Tabichi, 36, a maths and physics teacher at Keriko secondary school in Pwani Village, in a remote part of Kenya’s Rift Valley, has won the Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize 2019.

Tabichi, a member of the Franciscan religious order, received his prize at a ceremony in Dubai hosted by actor Hugh Jackman.

Tabichi gives away 80% of his income to help the poorest students at the poorly-equipped and overcrowded school who could not otherwise not afford uniforms and books.

More than 90% of his pupils are from poor families and almost a third are orphans or have only one parent. Drug abuse, teenage pregnancies, dropping out early from school, young marriages and suicide are common. Students have to walk 7km along roads that can become impassable in the rainy season to reach the school and the area can be affected by drought and famine.

Despite only having one computer, a poor internet connection and a student-teacher ratio of 58:1, Tabichi started a “talent nurturing club” and expanded the school’s science club, helping pupils design research projects of such quality that many now qualify for national competitions.

His students have taken part in international science competitions and won an award from the Royal Society of Chemistry after harnessing local plant life to generate electricity.

Tabichi and four colleagues also give struggling pupils one-to-one tuition in maths and science, visiting students’ homes and meeting their families to identify the challenges they face.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/24/kenyan-science-teacher-peter-tabichi-wins-1m-global-award

Don't confuse Christians like Tabichi with the **** worshippers who call themselves Christian. They're not, Jesus preached love, they try to spread hate. They can call themselves whatever they want but as far as I'm concerned they're not Christian.
maporsche

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
That's an amazing story.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 03:19 pm
@maporsche,
It is.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 06:37 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

mystikmind wrote:

I never did understood what the hell Jesus problem with the money changers happen to be as without their service of changing the donated money into a form the Temple could accept the Temple could not have connection to operate.

The text of the book says people were selling (very likely for a profit) birds and animals to be sacrificed. The prayerful solemnity of finding your own animal to sacrifice, the meditative process that occurred as you cared for or considered this animal and its relationship to the sins you were atoning for was replaced by a quick financial purchase, conveniently in the 7-11 portion of the sanctuary, might have gotten under Jesus’ skin—just a guess.

What a metaphor for US politics.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 06:42 am
@mystikmind,
mystikmind wrote:

I never thought about them attacking Jesus? Perhaps they were afraid? He has the support of the crowd? And or perhaps is is simply the fact that the sun of God is exercising his righteous fury in your face and who would not be petrified by that?

I might have been naive, but back when I read this as a kid, I thought he got away with it because of his moral authority ie they knew they were wrong plus he had arrived as a moral authority (so also what you said: no one dared challenge him publicly because of the popularity among the people) —even though his death was being plotted among members of the establishment.

Becoming more uncomfortable about the extended metaphor...
BillRM

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 02:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

mystikmind wrote:

I might have been naive, but back when I read this as a kid, I thought he got away with it because of his moral authority ie they knew they were wrong plus he had arrived as a moral authority (so also what you said: no one dared challenge him publicly because of the popularity among the people) —even though his death was being plotted among members of the establishment.

Becoming more uncomfortable about the extended metaphor...

Amazing as I can not see myself with any type of weapon on hand not killing some SOB who feel free to hit me with a whip for daring to exchange one type of coin with another.

Jesus would had needed to bring himself back to life one more time so he could latter be placed on the cross.

footnote any place in this modern era that exchange any meaningful gold or gold coins have very open and arm security and somehow I can not picture that not being the same 2000 years age.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 02:43 pm
@BillRM,
Yes BIll, if you lived in Biblical times you would have beaten up Jesus and kicked the Emperor Augustus in the nuts, because you're a real tough guy.
BillRM

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Yes BIll, if you lived in Biblical times you would have beaten up Jesus and kicked the Emperor Augustus in the nuts, because you're a real tough guy.

So you would allow some nut to hit you with a whip while doing the business of exchanging one type of gold coin for another so the Temple leadership could meet the temple finance needs?

I never picture you as that must of a pacifist.

1. Forums
  2. » Are there any True Christians on Able2Know?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 04:29:57