Google Maps Roaming Story (US Edition)

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 04:45 am

Let's make a story using placenames from Google Maps (of the United States). Before I explain what it's all about, here's an example:

1st post: Ryan was reading a book on the porch one day.
2nd post: It was about the Atkins diet, which he hadn't tried before.
3rd post: Taking up the diet would mean big changes because he loved tiffin cake and might not be able to live without it.

Here's a step-by-step guide for how to join in:

1. Click on the placename link in the most recent sentence of the story - the Google Map should appear in a new window.

2. Look for the placename you clicked on in the map (hopefully it is somewhere near the center).

3. Scroll around a bit, looking for another placename that you can use in the next sentence of the story, keeping the previous placename visible.

4. Add your new sentence to this A2K thread. When you use the new placename, make it a link to the Google Maps page (copy the URL from the "Link to this page" link in the top right corner). This is how you make a link: [url=PASTE_URL_HERE]Placename[/url]

5. Click submit, and you're done!

And now for the small print:

* Each sentence in the story should contain one placename, linked to Google Maps (using the URL under the "Link to this page" link).
* One sentence per post, and please no consecutive posts unless the game has gone quiet for a few days/weeks.
* The placename from the previous sentence should also be visible on the map you link to. In this way, the story crawls around the country.
* When you use a placename in the story it should not refer to the place on the map. It's OK if it refers to some other well-known place.
* You can zoom in or out on the map, but remember that both the new and previous placename (the actual name, not just the location) must be visible.
* Please try to put the new placename as close to the center of the map as you can (so the next person can find it quickly).
* If you can't find a suitable new placename, it's OK to crawl back to an old one (please make a new link though). Eventually someone will find a way out of the dead end.
* Cross-posts, if they occur, should be dealt with in a non-violent way Wink
* If the need arises, we'll decide collectively to take a big jump to some other part of the country. If someone wants to start a rival UK story (maps.google.co.uk), go ahead!

Following A2K tradition, I'll let someone else decide where we start. My examples above are not the beginning of the story.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,361 • Replies: 40
No top replies

partyfiend

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:29 am
OK, I'll start if you're all shy Smile

Isabel opened her eyes.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:57 am
She looked around the room for Anthony, but he was gone.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
Was this her chance to make a break for Freedom?
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:33 am
She peered through the gap in the curtains to see the driveway's rickety gate swinging gently in the breeze, and there was nobody in sight.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:37 am
She knew that just a few blocks away she could get
protection from her family.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
In the hallway, she rummaged through the pockets of several coats hanging by the door.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:54 am
Omigawd, said she, look what Sylvia has been carrying around!
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:03 pm
The Lost Springs from my old fashioned alarm clock that accidentallly flew down the stairs a few weeks ago.

(lost springs is top right-ish)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 02:32 pm
I admire her knack for finding new uses for old items. Now what can she be saving these for...
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 02:53 pm
She's making trinkets from old junk and selling them to various emporia around the country.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 09:41 am
A few minutes later, she has slipped out of the house and is hurrying down the lane praying that she'll escape from the evil wrongdoers and make trinkets for the rest of her long and fulfilling life.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 06:30 am
She met her dear ftiend and told her they must flee.
How shall we travel?
Overland. Park where the car can't be seen.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:10 am
Things seemed to be going smoothly when suddenly her car emitted a peculiar noise and shuddered to a halt.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:14 am
"Uh-oh we're in deep water now!"
"I'd say we were in deep something else," she replied.
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:42 am
"But if Bill Clinton can survive Monicagate, I'm sure we can figure out something to save our hides."
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:27 am
"Do you see the bicycle halfway between us and that telephone box?", she pointed.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:52 am
"Yeah, that belongs to Eugene. He'll be ticked if we take it"
0 Replies

partyfiend

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 08:47 am
"It's OK, he's in California for a few days doing a model shoot, he won't know we've borrowed it. Quick, I think I hear someone coming..."
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:02 am
"Hop on, and let's go. Hey, this is good bike!
It'll climb hills like a chamois."
0 Replies