Distasteful subject

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:36 pm
Why is it so many people leave public restrooms such a disgusting mess? It's unspeakable some of the things I've seen.

Some possibilities:

Self hatred - conscious or not
A way to act out against others
Being oblivious to surroundings - I just can't buy that one, these same people probably notice alot of small details in other areas.

I can honestly say I have NEVER gone into a persons home and seen what is so common place in public. Not that people don't leave messes, but not to such a disgusting extent.

It really makes me wonder what being human means.
and ashamed......

I don't know, I could go on, but I'd rather hear from you.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 721 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:08 pm
Who knows Chai? I've often wondered this myself.

I am one of those overly-compassionate people who will clean up those dirty bathrooms (I don't scrub of course, I do however pick up toilet paper, flush down remaining feces, dry off the sinks, etc.); Perhaps it's just my allegedly-disolving OCD kicking in, but I really do find it disrespecful and pointless. It's not just the lack of respect for public bathrooms either, teepeeing someone's home, egging someone's car, so on and so forth..I've never understood them, never will. I don't understand the gain someone gets from destroying something that's not rightfully theirs.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 01:04 am
Could be the sheer numbers of people using the bathroom. In a city of a million people, million-to-one occurrences happen every day. Or it could be the psychology of using a bathroom that you will never use again. Although, anonymity probably plays a large part in people's actions. You would never go to a friend's house, take a big **** on the seat of the toilet and then leave it.

Well, you wouldn't, but I might! Laughing
0 Replies

smog

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:08 am
A lot of public restrooms aren't cleaned nearly as regularly as they should be.

As a test, don't clean your bathroom for the next week and see how dirty it gets. It will be pretty gross. Now wait a month. Super gross.

Imagine the same thing happening with dozens or hundreds of people each day. In one day it could get really bad, but in a week, it will be mega gross.

It's just the way things go.
0 Replies