Genetically Modified With Human Genes - Will You Eat It?

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
Of course I wouldn't want anything done that would hurt anyone, but I do wish that there were more organic products available for those of us who want them and that they were required to give more info on products.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
Well, in my ideal world, people would pay for the product features they want, and would have the freedom to do without the feature and not paying its price. Information on food boxes is just another such product feature. But as I said, I have no major problem with your request, and it's well within the range of policies I would be willing to compromise on.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:25 am
Nice to see us agree, Thomas :-D
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:43 am
Thomas wrote:
Well, in my ideal world, people would pay for the product features they want, and would have the freedom to do without the feature and not paying its price. Information on food boxes is just another such product feature. But as I said, I have no major problem with your request, and it's well within the range of policies I would be willing to compromise on.

I agree. I just don't feel it's fair that, as it stands, we have to pay extra for the absence of features. If I made a little less money, I would have no confidence as to what I'm feeding my family because I wouldn't be able to afford the products that I know for certain are not genetically engineered or free of pesticides.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:54 am
I agree, FreeDuck. I don't think it's fair either.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 01:24 pm
watchmakers guidedogwrote
Quote:
tommrr wrote:
So if a baseball player eats the rice, would he violate the MLB drug policy concerning human growth hormones?

You do realise that liver enzymes and HGHs are different substances, correct?

Yes I know that they are completely different things. It was an attempt to interject some humor into the subject and to see if anyone would bite on it. May have to change your name to Buzzkill Guidedog. Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 01:28 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I agree. I just don't feel it's fair that, as it stands, we have to pay extra for the absence of features.

Why not? For comparison, do you think it's unfair, other things equal, to pay a higher rent for an apartment that doesn't have commuter trains running past its front lawn than for one that does? More for a roach-free apartment than for one with roaches? Note that this analogy errs in your favor by assuming that artificially engineered genes are unambiguous misfeatures comparable to roaches and noisy trains -- an analogy that many people would disagree with, including myself.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
I see you have a 'different' view of what constitutes a feature. If foods that are genetically engineered are a bonus, good for us, good for everyone, then I shouldn't have to pay more for food that doesn't have it. If they are the equivalent of trains running through the front lawn and roaches in the kitchen, then I should. Or rather, then they should be discounted, and as obvious to spot as roaches and trains.

You wouldn't think it okay to pay more for cable without premium channels, ice cream sundaes without whipped cream, pants without zippers, etc...
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 02:43 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I see you have a 'different' view of what constitutes a feature. If foods that are genetically engineered are a bonus, good for us, good for everyone, then I shouldn't have to pay more for food that doesn't have it. If they are the equivalent of trains running through the front lawn and roaches in the kitchen, then I should. Or rather, then they should be discounted, and as obvious to spot as roaches and trains.

How about if it's a feature that is good for some people and bad for others -- which, if you're right, is the best description of genetically engineered crops? For example, many people like sugary stuff, and are arguably willing to pay more if it has more sugar in it. A few others, including diabetics such as myself, get sick and even die from it. We routinely pay extra for ice cream, cookies etc. precisely because they don't have sugar in them. Would you say we are treated unfairly? It certainly never occurred to me that we are.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
I think you're being treated unfairy.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:02 am
Baldimo wrote:
This has been happening for centuries, the only idfference is that we are speeding up the process. Have any of you ever seen corn that was around when the white man arrived. It was short and not very ediable. (sp)

I was unaware that genes from species that have absolutely no way of interbreeding have been being spliced together for centuries! I somehow thought that white and yellow corn being produced from maize was a result of selective breeding such as practiced by Mendel. Wait, I still think that. Selective breeding and gene splicing are entirely different. Selective breeding merely encourages traits that are naturally already present in a species.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:20 am
Thomas wrote:
How about if it's a feature that is good for some people and bad for others -- which, if you're right, is the best description of genetically engineered crops? For example, many people like sugary stuff, and are arguably willing to pay more if it has more sugar in it. A few others, including diabetics such as myself, get sick and even die from it. We routinely pay extra for ice cream, cookies etc. precisely because they don't have sugar in them. Would you say we are treated unfairly? It certainly never occurred to me that we are.

Well, using that analogy, I would say that if you wanted to buy things that traditionally have sugar (and thankfully sugar is labeled in all products, so you have the power to know), like cookies or candy, but want the added feature of them being sugar free, it makes sense that there would be a premium attached to that. However, if you have to pay extra so that you can have sugar-free meatballs, pasta, bread (sadly it's getting there with bread), or cheese, that is definitely unfair. Likewise, if I have to pay extra to keep genetically modified corn out of my corn chips, that is unfair, in my opinion. And yes, I realize that my corn chips already contain genetically modified corn.
0 Replies