Spending a Sabbatical in Chile

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:57 am
My wife and I and our (now) five-year-old daughter are planning to spend our sabbatical year in Chile (July 2006 to July 2007). Two Chilean universities are possible, one in Valdivia, the other in Santiago (the Catholic University). Is there an international school in Valdivia (our daughter does not speak Spanish, though she is eager to learn)? What about apartments to rent there? Are they widely available? How much? etc, etc?

As for Santiago, we have located several schools. Our concern is mainly 'where to live'? Any suggestions? For the most part, the schools seem to be clustered in Providencia and Las Condes. (There is also one in Lo Barnechea, east of the city.) We'd like to live near our daughter's school (and, if possible, near the Catholic University) Is there a nearby community that you'd recommend? How much should we expect to pay, and how does one go about renting an apartment in Santiago?

Finally, would you recommend buying a car? I'd like to explore as much of Chile as possible, but I hear there is good and reliable public transportation throughout the country.

Thank You,
John Carlson
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,533 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
Santiago is smog cental, it has the same geographic and climatic configuration as Los Angeles. A car is useful for short day trips going east west because the country is very narrow. The roads, in my experience, are not great. For long trips, north/south, use the trains or fly.
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 02:09 pm
suggestions
Where to live in Stgo? Hmm... lets see:

*Las Condes, Providencia, Lo Barnechea and Vitacura are mainly residential areas located in the northeastern part of the city wich is the better place to live. My choices in order of preference: Las Condes, Vitacura, Providencia and Lo Barnechea. Careful with Lo Barnechea because is far from everything. Avoid living close to night clubs and stuff like that, this are clustered in Providencia and Las Condes. Providencia has the most subway stations, then Las Condes; Vitacura and Lo Barnechea doesn't have Subways stations on them.

*Avoid Downtown: too much commerce, too noisy and mainly businness related places are located here.

*I strongly wouldn't recommend living close to the Catholic University (aka UC or PUC). It's two main campuses (Casa Central and San JoaquĆ­n) are located in downtown and in the southern part of the city. Both have a subway station across the street.

I know there are a few international schools (german, arabic, english and french if I remember correctly) although I don't know exactly where. I would need to check more to confirm this.

Good luck
Athos
0 Replies

Xavier

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 12:57 am
Acquiunk wrote:
Santiago is smog cental, it has the same geographic and climatic configuration as Los Angeles. A car is useful for short day trips going east west because the country is very narrow. The roads, in my experience, are not great. For long trips, north/south, use the trains or fly.

Well, your experience is bad! Chile has the best roads in Latin America and the safest also. Comparable only to those in Western Europe.
Santiago is a magnificent city. You can look for Real Estate in the internet and a good school for your daughter who is only 5 years old, any school will do it. The education there is good.
As for Valdivia, it's gorgeous but rains year round and it's a very German city.
Santiago is fabulous.
Regards
Xavier
0 Replies