Avatar Uploading is again available from your Hard Drive!

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:39 pm
For those of you who like and use avatars in the gallery, this announcement does not apply. However, if you are currently using an avatar from a remote site, or you want to use a picture stored on your hard drive, this announcement is important.

Due to the move to a dedicated server, we have more room for avatars. This means that you may again upload your avatar from your hard drive.

Offsite avatars (e. g. those found on other urls outside of Able2Know) are being discontinued in a week. Therefore, if you want to keep an avatar that you found somewhere else, you will need to save that avatar to your hard drive and then upload it that way. Just right-click on the picture and select Copy. Then choose wherever on your hard drive you want that picture to reside, and right-click again. This time, choose Paste. Then upload the avatar to your Able2Know profile.

As always, avatars are limited in size to 6k or smaller and 80 x 80 pixels or smaller. If you're not sure of the size of an avatar, right-click it and select Properties.

If you're not sure of how to upload an avatar, click on anyone's avatar, and you'll be taken to the Avatar Tutorial.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,186 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Peace and Love

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 01:02 pm
Thanks, jespah!!!

When my dove disappeared, I linked to a URL for an MSN Group's thumbnail. However, my dove's thumbnail has a black background (which made it appear that she was flying at nighttime!), and I couldn't figure out how to create a new thumbnail with a white background. Now, by uploading from my hard drive, my dove is flying in "daylight"!!

Thanks!

Very Happy
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 04:37 pm
Thanks jes - the profile page says 90 pixels (width) by 100 pixels (height) - is it 90 x 100 or 80 x 80?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 06:57 pm
I stand (sit, actually) corrected. 90 x 100 pixels is correct. Thanks LBS!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:17 pm
Aww, c'mon guys - I JUST sorted this one out last week!!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 09:01 pm
Thanks Jespah.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:39 pm
jespah, I went to the Avatar Tutorial to find out how to upload an avatar, and discovered that the instructions have been edited to say "Instructions on uploaded avatars removed as that feature has been suspended." Can those instructions be reinstated, now that uploading avatars is possible again? Thanks (and apologies if -- as is quite possible -- I'm missing something, and the instructions are really there).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:17 pm
Cool!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:57 am
bree - I just changed the avatar tutorial instructions. Let me know if anything is unclear.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:27 am
yippee!
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
Thanks, jespah. It seems to have worked, and I hope I didn't inadvertently break any rules in doing it!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:08 pm
Looking good there, bree - but I'll miss Lucy!
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 01:14 pm
Thanks, mac. I love Lucy, too (to coin a phrase), but this one has a sentimental value for me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 02:18 pm
I have put a photo on Raven's Realm as a step to getting a thumbnail. It's in ossobuco's album as "pacco dono". I am unclear about what next, first whether to try to get the thumbnail back to my hd, or go direct to the profile.

In any case, I am confused for more reasons. The kb are 27. Is that for the thumbnail? If so, too large, eh? And secondly, I can't copy it to anywhere, as I don't have a right click ability on my mouse, and the url would be for that whole page.

Help!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 04:11 pm
ossobuco..
The size of 27kb must be rather large. I may be able to make a smaller thumbnail for a Mac user (osso) on my Mac, though I cannot assure it now as it depends on the nature of the file.
If you please, try posting your figure file in this thread (or PM). If I could make a thumbnail I would post it here (or PM).
(I am currently out, and I will return home in a day, then I will try.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:47 pm
Satt, I found out - after trying to drag the thumbnail (it took me a ridiculous time to get that that was the image in the "slide folder") to the desktop and it worked - that that image is 57 pixels by 96. Sounds ok. That 27 kb may be for the whole regular picture since it says that when I see the "blow-up". Well, we'll see.

In the meantime, pacco is sitting there in jpeg, not gif, and I understood it had to be in gif. I am going to post this, since the last time I tried to drag the image to the reply I lost the reply. Actually, after I post this, I'll go ahead and see if it will sneak into the Profile...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:56 pm
All right!!!!! The boy lives on screen!! Yippee!!!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 08:33 pm
Lookin' good!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:59 pm
Love the new avatars :-D