Who's your friend?

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:11 am
What are the most important criteria when you chose your friends?

Common interests, money, looks, reputation? Does the criteria define the nature of the friendship?

I'm just curious about your thoughts on the subject.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:02 am
I am the pickiest person when it comes to who I associate myself with. I am sort of a "friend snob". I like a lot of people and have a lot of aquaintances but not a lot of people I consider friends.

They have to be able to laugh at themselves.
They have to be able to do the things I can do financially. Like go out to dinner every now and then, to the bar, go shopping. (By the way I am in no way rich)
They have to be able to be themselves. All the time. Even in public.
They have to to be easy going. (No tight-asses)
They have to be less schedule oriented than I am.
They have to enjoy at least one of the things that I enjoy; shopping, dining or gossiping about complete strangers.
They have to know how to have fun in any situation.
They have to be able to put up with my obsessive desire to have everything planned. And then make me go against my nature every now and then.

And that's about it. I think. Boy, no wonder I don't have many close friends.... Shocked Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
I hate shopping.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:17 am
But do you like to eat or people watch?

If so, we can be friends.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
Not in retaurants.

But I do watch people.That's why I laugh a lot.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:54 am
I can spot a bullsh*tter at 20 paces.
If Im talking to someone and they are only pretending to be interested in what Im saying then they can never be a friend.

If Im given the genuine impression that they care about what Im saying/my feelings in the situation then there is a big chance they can be friends.
They are usually what I call group 1 friends.People ive known for years and they know me inside out and i can talk to them about anything and even sit in silence together for ages.

New friends are people with similar interests, generally nice people, have something intersting to say.
I try to see the best in people wether they are 'my kind of person' or not.If I dont get on with them I avoid them.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:28 am
Bella, a person can fit your description like a mirror image and still there is this one question: What happens when the temperature rises. Say you go for the same guy. Friends can do that and still remain friends, but it's a hard trial.

To specify my question: How would a friend act in such a scenario. (You both fall for the same person and want to follow your feelings).
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:44 am
That sucks, but if the guy prefers you to your friend you just have to leave well alone.
Surely its the guys decision and there should be no 'going for the guy'.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:01 am
Respect, intellect, compassion and sincerity.

While, on the majority of things, my friends and I find common interests - some times we do clash, and it's absolutely fine because they hold a.) respect for me and my beliefs, b.)intelligence to debate with me and talk it out, c.)compassion towards me and our friendship no matter what the differences and d.)are sincerity in their convictions. And I am mutual.

It is the arrogant, careless, uneducated people that do not get my vote. The ones that are out only to complain about, hurt and restrain others. Those I will never become close with. I have to be able to hold a conversation with them, not just sit and flip through fashion magazines and talk celeb. gossip. I have to be able to be honest around them on my opinions, they have to be open minded enough to accept my views.

Things like music, background, skin color, financial status, etc, mean nothing to me when judging a person.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:03 am
Right, it's the guy's choice. This is not possible unless everyone involved know the difference of love and ownership.

Or, in my case, it would be the girl's choice. To not follow your heart because your friend wants the same thing is wrong. Is he your friend if he demands such a thing of you?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:05 am
My friends are strangers that I haven't met yet
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:06 am
Did you mean: Strangers are friends I haven't met yet Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
Nope Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 05:39 am
Ok, then you're not making sense... Confused Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:49 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Bella, a person can fit your description like a mirror image and still there is this one question: What happens when the temperature rises. Say you go for the same guy. Friends can do that and still remain friends, but it's a hard trial.

To specify my question: How would a friend act in such a scenario. (You both fall for the same person and want to follow your feelings).

Well, my best friend and I don't have the same taste in guys so that was never an issue. In fact, it was always just something we knew (all my girl friends in high school even) that you didn't go out with an ex of your friends, you didn't date a guy your friend liked and you never ever stole a boyfriend. Isn't that just the Girl Friend Code?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:49 am
Boys may come
and boys may go
but Girl Friends are forever.

That is like the Best Friend motto.
0 Replies

KatacqOnioj2

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
Friends are those that can destroy you more easily than your enemies.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:08 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Boys may come
and boys may go
but Girl Friends are forever.

That is like the Best Friend motto.

Guys simplify that little poem you have.

"Bros before ho's."
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
You know someone is your friend until they start to No you.
0 Replies

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:36 am
I enjoy that definition by Emerson:

"A friend is one before whom I may think aloud."
0 Replies