What types of (cooked fishes) has a similar color and texture as crabmeat when cooked?

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 10:00 pm
When I was a kid I remember occasionally eating fried fish.
I remember the fried fish having flaky white color meat on the inside while eating the fish.
The texture and color was similar to crab meat. White and flaky.
I am referring only to cooked meat.
I am not referring to raw meat
I repeat, I am not referring to raw meat.
I am describing what the fish meat looked like once you cut it open and begin eating.

What types of (cooked fishes) has a similar color and texture as crabmeat when cooked?

When the fish was raw, it had a silverfish maybe grayish color covering the entire outer scaly skin.
Also when the fish was raw there was one black dot on both size of the fish outer skin near the eyes of the fish.

I don't know what type of fish I was eating when I was a kid.
I also believe that it was a ocean or coastal fish.

Can anyone tell me what type of fish I might have been eating?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,288 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 10:33 pm
Even if it's not the exact same fish, is there any other type of fish that may also have white flaky cook meat?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Mar, 2019 10:39 pm
@Real Music,
We used to fry up large pieces of a white flaky fish when I was about 14. Never knew what it was.
Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 02:55 am
Taste & Textures Of Different Fish

Quote:
The topic is Taste and Textures of Different Fish. I'm sure many of you already know the difference between Tuna and Mahi Mahi but what about the people who don't? I was one of the people who didn't know the difference so I did some research and thought I would write about.

Ocean and farm-raised. Where fish are raised make a difference to the taste and texture of the meat. Some fish have more of a pungent strong fish flavor while some fish have a very mild fish flavor. Some fish have a high fat content while others are flaky with light and fluffy flakes of meat.

Below I describe a handful of different fish. If you have ever wanted to order a fish dish in a restaurant but was worried if you would like it, take the time to read and learn the difference of tastes. If you don't normally order fish while dining out I list suggestions to order so you can enjoy your dish.

Anchovy: Very strong pungent salty fish taste. Anchovies are used for Caesar Salad Dressings and very often on pizza. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Black Cod: Considered velvety smooth with a medium-firm creamy in the texture of the meat. Not considered fishy with a neutral taste.

Bronzini: Also known by the name Le Loup de Mer. European Sea bass. Sweet-flavored, semi-firm white meat which taste similar to red snapper.

Cod: Mild flavor with a low-fat content. Has a dense white flesh that flakes easily.

Wild Catfish: A strong fish taste on the oily side and has a high fat content.

Farm Raised Catfish: Has a clean-mild taste.

Chilean Sea Bass: A mild flavor white meat fish with a firm texture. High fat content. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Eal: Has a medium fishy taste with a firm fatty flesh.

Flounder: Also known as Fluke. Flounder caught in clear ocean beaches tend to taste more sweet. Flounders caught in harbors have a slight muddy taste because they usually lie flat on the mud. Flounder is a flat-lean fish.

Grouper: Lacks a flavor, very bland tasting. Great for people who don't eat fish often.

Haddock: Taste similar to cod. A white flesh fish with very low fat content.

Halibut: Has a firm-white meat with a delicately sweet flavor. Halibut is a type of flat-fish. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Herring: Has a strong flavor and considered a very rich oily fish. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Mackerel: Has a strong fishy taste with it's meat off-white in color. Mackerel meat is darker than Tilapia or Cod. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Mahi-Mahi: Meat texture is tender to firm with a sweet taste. Larger moist flakes, taste similar to chicken with a mild fishy taste.

Monkfish: Many people consider Monkfish to be the poor-mans lobster. Offers a slightly sweet taste and firm in texture.

Orange Roughy: Offers a mild fish flavor with medium to firm coarse flakes.

Red Snapper: Offers a delicate flavor, mild, not unlike flounder but not as strong as swordfish. Red Snapper gets it's name from it's skin color not it's meat color.

Sea Mullet: A large plump silvery fish, very oily with a high fat content and offers a very rich distinct strong fishy flavor. Medium to firm meat texture and always tender.

Salmon: Soft textured meat with a mild distinct flavor. If your someone who does not each fish often Salmon is recommended. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Snapper: A delicate fish with a sweet to mild taste and soft medium flakes. Low oiliness.

Sole: Has a mild fish taste and belongs to the Flat-fish family.

Stripped Bass: Farm-raised offers a mild sweet flavor with a firm flaky texture.

Sturgeon: Offers a mild flavor with lean firm meat.

Swordfish]/u]: It's meat has a firm texture and offers a medium fish taste.

Trout: It's considered an oily fish. A species of freshwater and saltwater fish. High in omega-3 fatty acid. A heart healthy fish.

Tuna: Tender and delicious. Yellow Fin Tuna is often used for Ahi Tuna dishes while Blue Fin Tuna is commonly used for sashimi style food.

Walleye: Is a white, flaky fish when cooked and is not considered to have a fishy taste. The texture is close to a Salmon Filet. A large fresh water fish and to be known to like cool water and usually found in deep water.
Jstankevicz suggested adding the Walleye to my list. Thank you for the information.

Whiting: Generally considered a very affordable fish. A mushy meat. Very delicate and turns to mush very fast. A non-fishy tasting fish.

https://hubpages.com/food/Fish-Taste-and-Textures
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 02:59 am
How To Cook Cod. Pan Fried Cod Fillet.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:01 am
How To Cook Cod. Pan Fried,Skinless Cod Fillet

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:11 am
I never had cod fish. From the youtube videos the cod fish looks delicious.
I might order it at a restaurant one day. I don't know which restaurants serve cod fish. I will have to find out.

I never had cod fish.
I have no idea what it taste like.
I may not even like it.
I won't know until I try it.

Has anyone ever had cod fish?
If so, did you like it?
What did you think of the taste?
Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:29 am
Poor Man's LOBSTER - Imitation Lobster Tail Meat Portions - PoorMansGourmet

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:39 am
@edgarblythe,
I think the fried fish with the flaky white meat I ate as a kid might have been called a (Spot fish).
I am looking for any type of fish with white flaky meat.
I think I may have found another one. The (Cod fish).
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 03:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I also would like to try (flounder fish).
I never had it.
I would like to give it a try.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 06:12 am
@Real Music,
For many people in the UK cod is the only fish they've eaten. Usually deep fried in batter with chips.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/4/2/1364925185279/Fish-and-Chips-cod-food-s-010.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=718999bd9cb95b48fb9e6c4e0d678e84

And if you can't be bothered with going to the chip shop there's lots of frozen varieties.

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/119/11947011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=9129624415ef0ef621371e9079129a22

https://www.ocado.com/productImages/536/53652011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=151d53dd94885ec87737e931e96842cb

Not just as fillets either. No fish sticks over here.

https://www.birdseye.co.uk/-/media/uk/products/fish/fish-fingers-and-kids/171018_10-cod-fish-fingers_470x300.ashx?as=0&hash=66D2965F48397E633B04D9C74252A7EBFF6F4D00

When I was a kid we used to get these.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b1/e4/26/b1e4268511010c1f91fc4e60ed458e57.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2019 06:39 am
My first thought was cod - simply that is a very common fish used to make fish and chips and fits the described of a white flaky fish. Scrod and haddock are very similar.
0 Replies