catholics and the rhythm method

agrote

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
The catholic church believes that it is wrong to use contraception. I assume that this is because they believe it is wrong to have sex purely for pleasure, and not with the intention of producing children. Many catholics use the rhythm method to avoid producing unwanted children, and when they do so they are having sex for pleasure and without the intention of producing children. Therefore, by using the rhythm method, surely they are contradicting the church's stance on contraception?

Does anybody disagree with me, and believe that the rhythm method should not be lumped together with other forms of contraception?

(Incidentally, I am not Catholic and I condone the use of contraception.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,838 • Replies: 23
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:11 pm
Disagree. The rhythm method should definately not be lumped together with other contraceptic methods. In fact, doctors have a special medical term for women who rely on the rhythm method. They call them MOTHERS!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:30 pm
The rhythm method works wonders. My parents used it for many years.

I'm the youngest of eight.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:02 pm
Doctor's have a word for women who practice the rhythm method . . . mothers.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 07:07 pm
Certain pages should always be torn out of the catholic
catechism. Wink
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 07:57 am
Setanta wrote:
Doctor's have a word for women who practice the rhythm method . . . mothers.

I don't get it...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:10 am
Re: catholics and the rhythm method
agrote wrote:
The catholic church believes that it is wrong to use contraception. I assume that this is because they believe it is wrong to have sex purely for pleasure, and not with the intention of producing children. )

No no no no. It's because birth control prevents the egg implanting onto the uterus when fertilized. It is then flushed from the body during the period. This is seen as abortion.

I personally use birth control. I think God would rather me prevent a pregnancy than have a child that I can't provide for.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
In my understanding, which is based on what I remember from the years all this interested me personally, birth control pills were not approved of because they were artificial interference, whereas rhythm was natural. I remember some frowns from the nuns on rhythm as well, but it was acceptable.

I also remember use of the iud (intrauterine device) to be considered "abortifacient" but not that pills were. In other words, the iud was a big step further in the wrong direction from the church's point of view.

Well, that was then, based on my memory. I don't know what is being considered now, theologically/ethically.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
It's because birth control prevents the egg implanting onto the uterus when fertilized.

So does not having sex. But not having sex is approved by the Catholic church.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
By the way, did you know that some women ovulate more than once per cycle? Or is it that the ovulation point changes? Now I better look it up. I'll be baaaaaaaaaaaavk...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
you should look into "Natural Family Planning"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:28 pm
Here we go:

Quote:
Women may ovulate more than once a month, suggests a Canadian study that overturns conventional views on the human menstrual cycle.

The findings may explain why the rhythm method of contraception is so unreliable and could lead to improved, targeted fertility treatments in the future.

Ten per cent of the women studied released two eggs in the same month. And all the women examined by researchers at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada showed at least two waves of maturing eggs in their ovaries in the same month.

Traditionally, it has been thought that ovulation takes place only once in every menstruation cycle. A growth wave of 15 to 20 egg-carrying cells called follicles occurs before ovulation. One follicle will become dominant while the others die off.

"It's been assumed until now that women have just one wave per monthly cycle, leading to one ovulation, but nobody has actually carried out detailed analysis before," said Roger Pierson, who led the study. "In fact, all the women in our study had at least two waves and 30 per cent of them had three."

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn3927

Emphasis mine.

Stupid stupid method.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:14 am
But whether or not it's an unreliable method, I believe that it is as artificial as contraception, and so if you believe that it is wrong to use contraception (I don't), you should also reject the rhythm method.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:58 am
agrote wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
It's because birth control prevents the egg implanting onto the uterus when fertilized.

Sure but abstinence does not produce a fertilized egg. And if there is no fertilized egg (life according to the church), then there can be no abortion. And the abortion is what is wrong. At least that is what I was taught.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
I was just discussing this with my daughter yesterday. She has a classmate (17) who is pregnant. The father is 18, and they plan to marry this summer after the baby is born.

Evidently, the school paper did an article on them, talked of their plans and how they had used contraception and got pregnant anyway. From my daughters telling of it, it sounds like the school is condoning and glorifying them in that they are getting positive press and mention during the morning announcements of their expected parenthood. Everyones talking about how cute the little clothes are that they are getting. They even included a pic of the sonogram in the paper.

So, we were talking about the contraception failure and I pointed out that she was concieved on the fifth day and her brother (16 months later) on the seventh, which goes against advice to abstain between the 9-19th day.

Her response... "Seth was conceived on the seventh day? (pause) You and Dad should have rested."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:13 am
Thanks for that info, Soz.

That is precisely why doctors describe the practitioners of the rhythm method as mothers.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:11 am
Rhythm is great for dancing but not for birth control.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:07 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Sure but abstinence does not produce a fertilized egg. And if there is no fertilized egg (life according to the church), then there can be no abortion. And the abortion is what is wrong. At least that is what I was taught.

Condoms do not produce fertilized eggs, so why is the catholic church against condoms? They are no different to the rhythm method - they both involve having sex purely for pleasure and without the intention of producing a fertilised egg. But catholics condone the rhythm method, and not the condom - why?
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:09 am
Don't ask questions. It's better that way. Just shut up and make healthy Catholic babies.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:43 am
agrote wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Condoms do not produce fertilized eggs, so why is the catholic church against condoms? They are no different to the rhythm method - they both involve having sex purely for pleasure and without the intention of producing a fertilised egg. But catholics condone the rhythm method, and not the condom - why?

Good question.
0 Replies