Do you speak up when you see some one being an idiot?

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
I am the type of person that will speak my mind when I see some person being an ass*hole. For example the other day we were out walking in a park near my home. As I walk and bring my young children around this park frequently, I am concerned about its cleanliness. Well, there tends to be lots of lazy irresponsible people around who "walk" their dogs through this park. On this occasion, a lazy good for nothing, parks and lets her two dogs out. I stare across the street and parking lot at her and watch as one dog squats and leaves a dump. Does she get out and clean up - no! I was about to go over to her, but my husband says it is not worth it - she will not change. I say I would at least like to embarrass her (and I would have loved to scoop up the crap and toss it in her car window). I decided not to as I had my children with me and really didn't want to make a fuss in front of them.

I can give other examples where I spoke up to idiots. So what do you think - should I keep my big trap shut? Is my husband right? Am I taking on a losing battle? Do you ever do this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,167 • Replies: 68
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
It is now common courtesy (IMO) to carry a pooper scooper when walking your dog. With all the "appliances" you can buy you don't even have to bend over to pick it up!

I also hate looking over to see someone standing there innocently while their dog takes a dump on someone elses lawn....as if it's ok. Nothing like coming out of your house to find a steaming pile of s*it waiting for you. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Perhaps you should make a sign and post it in the park that politely asks people to pick up their stinky poop, with a note "you know who you are" on the bottom. Maybe she will see it and take the hint. If not, perhaps you could ask her to pick it up without making a scene. Or call your city park maintenance and request a real sign.

Good Luck. I too hate the Poop Leavers.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:19 pm
I would have actually approached her in a friendly manner first. Asked her if it was her dog and if she realized he had pooped. Maybe even handed her a bag if I had one available.

I have also spoken up when some one cut in line at the store. Usually I make the assumption that the person did not realize where the line was. However, in one case some guy said, I only have one item, can I get in front of you both (as I am only holding a pair of gloves). I said no a**hole. Actually I just stared him down and said a firm no.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
Linkat wrote:

I have also spoken up when some one cut in line at the store. Usually I make the assumption that the person did not realize where the line was. However, in one case some guy said, I only have one item, can I get in front of you both (as I am only holding a pair of gloves). I said no a**hole. Actually I just stared him down and said a firm no.

I do that too. There is no reason why a grown up should "cut in line". Come on. If I saw the person behind me had 1 item and I had a cart full, I would let them in front of me. But don't assume it, idiot.....

I usually also say, "the line is back there." Mostly in the line for the bathroom at a bar. Never, ever cut in front of a woman waiting to use the toilet. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
The other day at an intersection I frequently take, some idiot is beeping his horn and yelling at the guy in front of him. The man was stopped because he had a red light. Now I know this intersection can be confusing as there is another light showing green, but the two left lanes use a different light with and arrow - the arrow was red. I lower my window and yelled at the idiot. Excuse me, but there is a red arrow. He ignored me and when the arrow changed to green and the man in front of him began to turn, he blared on the horn and continued yelling and swearing at the other guy.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
My favourite is dealing with rude women. I always hold doors open for people, but have noticed that it is now quite common for young women to walk through and not even acknowledge the fact. No thank you, no nod, no smile, zilch.
When this happens, I wait until they have passed and say in a loud voice, but pleasant tone " Thank you for letting me hold the door".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
While on vacation I was in a rather small and unfamiliar supermarket shopping. I was almost finished and my cart was completely full, but I still needed some items I just couldn't
find in the aisle. There was nowhere a clerk to be found,
so I pushed my cart up to the cashier and asked
her: "Excuse me please, where can I find such and such.....?"

The cashier was checking out a customer at the time. She
looked at me angrily and snapped: "Can't you see
I am busy with a customer? You just have to wait your turn!"
Then she proceeded mumbling something about who rude
people are these days....

So I pushed the cart with full force onto her cashier boot and
nicely said to her: "And now, you have even more work
unloading the cart again" and walked out.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:26 pm
I tend to be a vengeful person, and will usually speak up if I feel I've been wronged. But my wife hates it, and usually tries to stop me. I'll come back when I think of some examples. But I love doing gutsy, semi-rude things.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
Ahem, I usually just tell people to shove it up their...
0 Replies

my dog pooped in ur yard

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

I also hate looking over to see someone standing there innocently while their dog takes a dump on someone elses lawn....as if it's ok. Nothing like coming out of your house to find a steaming pile of s*it waiting for you. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
Unlike you ladies, I tend to mind my own business unless a person's actions affect me personally, somehow. I also tend to be very polite to ignorant people. They can't help being idiots.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:57 pm
Yes we can! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
Goodness Ellpus - it is not just women who are rude after stuff like that, I have seen men too. Typically I do something like you…for example if I am checking out at the store and the clerk hands me my change I say thank you. And if they don't say anything - I say, Oh, you're welcome.

Love it CJane - just like something I would do (and have done similar before).

Unlike Merry, I have spoken up for other people. It has almost gotten me into trouble one time. I was in a bar and overheard this guy ripping apart this poor girl. I decided to get him. I managed to flirt a little with him and he started talking with me. So being the arrogant bastard he was - he spoke as if he was God's gift to women. Well, I certainly let him know what an a**hole he was. I hurt his little ego. However, I didn't realize how much. Another guy seeing this came over and pulled me away. When I took a step back and looked at the situation, I realized why. The arrogant bastard was getting ready to smack me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
Linkat wrote:
Goodness Ellpus - it is not just women who are rude after stuff like that, I have seen men too. Typically I do something like you…for example if I am checking out at the store and the clerk hands me my change I say thank you. And if they don't say anything - I say, Oh, you're welcome.

The Hold-the-door-while-a-clown-car-lets-out-and-endless-people-stream-through-while-you-are-stuck-holding-the-door Manuver. Smile Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
Linkat wrote:

My wife has related incidents to me while she shops. She says that frequently older people will say stupid things like, my legs / feet hurt, can I go in front of you?, etc.

One guy actually made such a fuss, and when my wife said no, said, "I'm a vet and fought for younger people like you so you could be free" etc. The old guilt trip routine.

People NEVER do that to me. Must be something to do with my demeanor! Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
Do I speak up when I see someone being an idiot?

No.

I mumble.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:30 am
Il tell you a story-Im still not sure whose side im on.

I was in a post office queue, a well dressed lady carrying a baby was 2nd in a quite long queue, a guy that had just been in the queue had left the po and found his car was blocked in(theres no proper parking)the guy comes back in the po and asks whose car it is and can they move it, the lady firmly says 'Its my car, Il move it in a minute'.The guy walks off mumbling something about her being rude.

If Im in a cinema and people are talking it drives me nuts.Last tinme i went i had a couple talking behind me, 2 mums and 2 kids that were too young to be watching the film were chatting away, passing food back and forth and half way through one of the little boys decided to hum.

Why do I feel bad about asking them to stop talking???

I once turned to a couple a few seats away adn said 'can you shut up please'.I feel bad but if they want to talk they shouldnt be in a cinema.!!!!!

Yes we should speak up or things will never change.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
I can't count the times when I have been tempted to on this forum. However, If one did you would stand a good chance of being banned. Embarrassed
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:46 am
Peopel swear on this forum, how on earth would you get banned???
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:04 am
It is a violation of the TOS. Thou shalt not call a fellow member an idiot. It is the eleventh commandment.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you speak up when you see some one being an idiot?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.58 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:15:55