Do you speak up when you see some one being an idiot?

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
I have no problem openly mocking an idiot. Wish it happened more.

My buddy mocked a cop yesterday. Probably not the smartest thing, but sounded like it was funny.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
What's TOS?

Since last November, fools have been shown to be in the majority, so one has to be careful what one says, especially if one lives in Texas.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
I keep seeing my own idiotic self in the people around me, so I try to shut up and just leave.

But it's no use! I keep following my thoughts and bumping into my preconceived auto-antisocial rebukes which I inevitably put down as conceited arrogance. Pssh, and THAT'S just me! Who's got TIME for anything else??

I better quit while I'm a head. Don't read any of this, okay?

(TOS = Terms Of Service, on how you agree to behave on this website).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
I've no idea what a TOS is either. It sounds a bit scary though, and I wouldnt like to meet one in a dark alley.

Getting back to idiots.....there is a series on Brit TV called "Grumpy Old Men" and features well known TV personalities who are past their youth, talking about things that really annoy them.

One I remember is about people who make pointless phone calls whilst on the train, and disturb everyone with their loud drivel.
This particular TV comic (Rory McGrath), has picked various embarrassingly awful pop songs to sing loudly whilst the phone user is trying to talk.

"HELLO, DARLING...I'M ON THE 6.45 AND IT'S VERY CROWDED..."
"AAA-GAA-DOO-DOO-DOO-PUSH PINEAPPLE SHAKE A TREE"

When they finish the phone call, he stops singing. He says that people have now got used to him doing it, and even join in.
MARVELLOUS !
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:38 am
au1929 wrote:
It is a violation of the TOS. Thou shalt not call a fellow member an idiot. It is the eleventh commandment.

The key is to do it in a classy way. Instead of saying, "wrong, idiot" you should say "that turns out not to be the case, idiot."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:18 pm
Actually, I think it's okay to say, "That was the most idiotic thing I've ever heard," but not, "You are an idiot."

Being brought up by a proper Southern lady, of course, I never say either. I just grumble and click on a different thread.

Well, usually anyway......Wink
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
AND...if you see me being an idiot on here, I'd appreciate it ever so much if you'd do the same!

<LOL>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
<grumble>

<click>

Wink
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:00 pm
I dunno. Everybody's so concerned about their rights, they never even consider the other person's point of view, the other person's problems. Like Reyn, I have seldom had to deal with someone trying to get in front of me in line at a checkout. However, on the few occasions that it has happened, I've always nodded politely and said, "Go ahead." I mean, if I have a shopping cart full and the other person has two or three items that won't take but a tic to check out, what is the big deal? What is the problem? We complain about the discourtesy of others and then find ourselves incapable of a courteous act ourselves.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Like Reyn, I have seldom had to deal with someone trying to get in front of me in line at a checkout. However, on the few occasions that it has happened, I've always nodded politely and said, "Go ahead." I mean, if I have a shopping cart full and the other person has two or three items that won't take but a tic to check out, what is the big deal? What is the problem? We complain about the discourtesy of others and then find ourselves incapable of a courteous act ourselves.

Don't get me wrong, if someone did ask me (instead of just pushing in line and saying nothing) and I felt they had a valid reason, I would help them out.

It's not that I'm rude or anything. I just refuse to be taken advantage of by others. Most people from afar would say I'm not friendly because I don't frequently smile. They just don't know me...yet. Laughing

It happens to my wife many times, because she's the opposite to me.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:13 am
I dont see whats wrong with people talking on their mobiles on trains.Surely its just the same as talking to someone who is there.
Maybe the listener is annoyed because they cant listen into both sides of the converstaion.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:56 am
Merry - I still think it is wrong for someone to cut some one else in line just because they only have a couple of items and some one else has a 30. Is there time more valuable just because they have fewer items? I also believe that it is rude if you have 30 items and do not offer to allow the person with 2 items in front of you.

In my example, the person trying to cut had one item. I had one item and the woman in front of me had two items. Why is it that he should jump in front of us? We all had a small amount.

Also most stores do have express aisles for just such purposes.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:44 am
material girl wrote:
I dont see whats wrong with people talking on their mobiles on trains.Surely its just the same as talking to someone who is there.
Maybe the listener is annoyed because they cant listen into both sides of the converstaion.

I was just thinking HELLO?! that perhaps WHAT!? I might respond to
this WHAT'S UP??? question because YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I TOLD HIM it may
be the case WHY DIDN'T YOU COME OVER? where a few of HAH!! IT WAS
THE BEST! us might have the idea MAN, IT WAS SOOOO COOL! that a
reasonable DID HE REALLY?!? conversation means being SO WE DRANK IT
AND aware of our WENT OUT, HUH? environment.

But then I thought better of it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
Laughing

Advantage #572 to being deaf...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
In my opinion, which I have never considered humble, mobile phones should be banned in all public places, except for emergency use. They're more noxious than second-hand smoke and smoking is now banned nearly everywhere.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:07 am
It all depends on who it is and what they're doing. If it's my son, he'll hear me, but with all the nut cases in this world, I'm very careful on who I say what to. You never know who might be packing a weapon that they are not afraid to use.
My neighbor lets her dog crap on my lawn and I'm getting very close to saying something about it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
I have a suggestion Montana - next time your neighbor's dog craps on your lawn - scoop it up and deposit it on your front step. Hopefully she will get the message.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:16 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
In my opinion, which I have never considered humble, mobile phones should be banned in all public places, except for emergency use. They're more noxious than second-hand smoke and smoking is now banned nearly everywhere.

That's ridiculous. Ban them in ALL public places? Do you get pissed when you overhear two people talking? If not, why is a phone that much worse? Granted, places like movie theatres, restaurants, where quiet is expected is one thing. They're not that big of a deal.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
So whussup with my being ridiculous? You're not used to that yet, bro?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:11 pm
I'm not saying YOU'RE ridiculous, I think it would be to ban cell phone use in all public places, like they did cigarettes, guns, and crack whores. I know they can be annoying in certain places, but why ban them in bars, shopping malls, ect? If the place you're at is supposed to be quiet, then talking on a phone makes you an ignoramous.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:35:13