Dry mold under floorboards too expensive to remove safe?

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 02:58 am
Hello, we had some rain water flood our balcony and then our living room wood floor for several seconds before pushing the water out and inevitably some water fell under the floorboards through the gaps. Next summer the floor became wobbly and when I made a small hole to ventilate the floor and put my phone camera in to look underneath I realized that the timber joists that hold up the wood floor have all turned dark grey or black. Following that, we made several ventilation holes at the edges of the floor and since have maintained humidity under 55% for the past 2 years and there has been no smell or indication of active mold whatsoeverbut the joists under the floorboards still remain black and I'm wondering if the completely dried out and inactive mold can still cause health problems. I myself feel I have nasal inflammation rather constantly... The house is a rental and the owner is not willing to replace the timber floors since the flooding was our fault
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 899 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 05:32 am
@George karatasios,
I'm sure the owner isn't thrilled you drilled holes in the floor, either.

It's in everyone's best interests to get the mold removed. Offer to go half.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 10:30 am
@George karatasios,
You dont say where you live but often floor joist wood can change color due to exposure and age. So scrape what you think is mold and take it somewhere to get tested.

If you have access, simply run parallel floor joists to the old ones.
0 Replies

moldbgone

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:27 pm
@George karatasios,
There are some wood cleaners available that will both safely remove the mold and get rid of any discoloration.
0 Replies

ericcruz

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2019 02:44 am
@George karatasios,
Mold is hazardous to our health. If you happen to inhale mold spores, you can suffer from lung disease. You saw through the camera that the mold is present under the floorboard. This clearly signifies that the floorboards are not dried up completely. Removing dry mold is very affordable. You can book a vendor to get rid of the mold.
0 Replies