4
   

Dry mold under floorboards too expensive to remove safe?

 
 
Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 02:58 am
Hello, we had some rain water flood our balcony and then our living room wood floor for several seconds before pushing the water out and inevitably some water fell under the floorboards through the gaps. Next summer the floor became wobbly and when I made a small hole to ventilate the floor and put my phone camera in to look underneath I realized that the timber joists that hold up the wood floor have all turned dark grey or black. Following that, we made several ventilation holes at the edges of the floor and since have maintained humidity under 55% for the past 2 years and there has been no smell or indication of active mold whatsoeverbut the joists under the floorboards still remain black and I'm wondering if the completely dried out and inactive mold can still cause health problems. I myself feel I have nasal inflammation rather constantly... The house is a rental and the owner is not willing to replace the timber floors since the flooding was our fault
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 424 • Replies: 4
No top replies

 
jespah
 
  2  
Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 05:32 am
@George karatasios,
I'm sure the owner isn't thrilled you drilled holes in the floor, either.

It's in everyone's best interests to get the mold removed. Offer to go half.
0 Replies
 
PUNKEY
 
  1  
Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2019 10:30 am
@George karatasios,
You dont say where you live but often floor joist wood can change color due to exposure and age. So scrape what you think is mold and take it somewhere to get tested.

If you have access, simply run parallel floor joists to the old ones.
0 Replies
 
moldbgone
 
  -2  
Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:27 pm
@George karatasios,
There are some wood cleaners available that will both safely remove the mold and get rid of any discoloration.
0 Replies
 
ericcruz
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2019 02:44 am
@George karatasios,
Mold is hazardous to our health. If you happen to inhale mold spores, you can suffer from lung disease. You saw through the camera that the mold is present under the floorboard. This clearly signifies that the floorboards are not dried up completely. Removing dry mold is very affordable. You can book a vendor to get rid of the mold.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Is this Mold - Question by JoshuaL
Is this mold? - Question by buckalou
Need to ask whether this is mold? - Question by Chunkylad
Help Me Identify This Mold - Question by CyanRaven
Brown 'stains' on wall and ceiling. - Discussion by Hanny
Can you Id this mold/Fungus? - Question by trevor75
Is this mold? If not, what is it? - Discussion by kschmitty01
microbiology - Question by frankw
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Dry mold under floorboards too expensive to remove safe?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/11/2021 at 01:06:46