the homework cheating industry threatening to destroy culuture and tradition do you agree

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:44 am
do you agree or not and write please why
(remember to spell check and grammar check your work... I mean replies)

6000 words minimum needed.

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
jespah

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm pretty pissed at it, myself. I don't mean someone with an essay they've written who needs some pointers, or a person with a hard to understand assignment. And I'm not talking about people who are researching something super-obscure, or someone who wants some help checking their answers.

I mean the - buy a paper 100% done for you - crowd.

It's cheating and there's a danger to it. What if the civil engineer passes because s/he bought papers or other help? And then they design a bridge which falls down, because they really don't understand the concepts? Same with the surgeon or the lawyer. I realize I sound like Chicken Little here, and one paper or one test isn't likely to make or break an academic career. Plus anyone that clueless should be found out in the classroom (that is assuming the teacher/prof has the time, skills, and attention to spot such things).

It's more like the good old gentleman's C. It serves one purpose and one alone - to give mediocre students the keys to the kingdom. If we as a society value true academic merit at all, and if we value ethics at all, then this industry is pure slime.
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:42 pm
@jespah,
I think Tsar is talking about the idiots who post their homework assignments on A2K.

You're right though, rich students paying for bespoke essays is a scandal.

I've got really scummy posh students next door, I can't abide them.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:42 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

do you agree or not and write please why
(remember to spell check and grammar check your work... I mean replies)

6000 words minimum needed.

Does anyone else find this question ironic?

You are a funny man.

But on the true side of things - technology also helps the teachers. They simply scan student papers - there is technology that then reviews it for key info and can determine the potential % a paper is plagiarized.

This recently happened to my daughter. The teacher determined it was unintentional plagiarism. She is young and was trying her best to make her paper "perfect" - she used various internet sources to help her understand her reading material. Her intention was not to copy from these sources but to have these sources help her understand the material better - this technology determined she had plagiarized. So she got a learning moment on how to use her own words and thoughts and a second chance to do another paper.

I think sometimes even good intended students can hurt themselves as there is so much information out there and so much pressure to get that A+ that they need to learn where to pull in their own thoughts.

So there is technology that also helps the teachers to catch the cheaters.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:52 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

It's your gut. I once had a very poor student submit an essay on Of Mice And Men where he said that Crooks had a caustic sense of humour. He couldn't tell me what caustic meant.

There are essay writing services that do bespoke essays for a fee that won't turn up on a google search.
engineer

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:21 pm
I think that cheating has always been there. The Internet has just democratized it (anyone can cheat these days, not just the financially well off) and it is easier to catch.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:24 pm
@tsarstepan,

you lost me on culuture...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes I good teacher can usually catch on. I remember when I was in college, I went to a college where it was mostly some sort of business major. I, unlike, most of the students in my class, loved to read and in one of my Literature classes, we were required to write a paper on a particular theme of the novel we were reading.

One of the classes after we submitted this paper, the teacher said - I know that most of the class plagiarized. I have years of experience and I can catch these. I will give you each one chance, if you cheated you can stay in the class now and write your paper. If you did not - you may leave. If you leave, however, and you cheated, I will fail you and report you to the dean.

There I am sweating - I know I didn't cheat - never read a cliffnote or whatever the heck those things are. I read the book and wrote by more than likely boring B paper - I was just a fair write.

Finally I thought - I know I didn't cheat I am going to leave - I got up and I was one of the very few students that left. Damn I thought that many students cheated!

I got my well deserved A- more than likely higher than I should have because it was an honest written paper.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Linkat wrote:

It's your gut. I once had a very poor student submit an essay on Of Mice And Men where he said that Crooks had a caustic sense of humour. He couldn't tell me what caustic meant.

There are essay writing services that do bespoke essays for a fee that won't turn up on a google search.

Yes I would guess the better cheaters - but this was by use for younger kids those not as savvy or rich.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:35 pm
@jespah,
What about the engineer that is buried in required Engineering classes adn also has to get a "well rounded" education so also has to devote hours into a pointless 12 page essay on a famous historic figure from Ancient Greece for a liberal arts history class? Instead of learning the things that will keep the bridge from falling he instead has to find out and research who Aristophanes was and write a paper about him?

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:17 pm
@McGentrix,
That sounds a load of bollocks. Nothing like that over here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:20 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

What about the engineer that is buried in required Engineering classes adn also has to get a "well rounded" education so also has to devote hours into a pointless 12 page essay on a famous historic figure from Ancient Greece for a liberal arts history class? Instead of learning the things that will keep the bridge from falling he instead has to find out and research who Aristophanes was and write a paper about him?

You know what I did with these classes - i.e. Freshman World Civilizations - which I no interest in and would not impact my major whatsoever. I went to the mid term and final...maybe a couple of classes in between and got my C.

I, instead, attended those classes and work my butt off in those that would ultimately impact me. Probably why I didn't do so well my first year and a half of college. I did enjoy literature as I loved to read so I do well in those classes. But this other crap - I did enough to get a passable grade.

I am glad my daughter in college doesn't take the same approach - she makes the Dean's list - I did not my first couple of years. But she is a better kid than I was.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
That's why they'll get caught and the rich kids are more likely to get away with it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 07:43 pm
@McGentrix,
He should still do his own work. Cheating in this area creates a presumption that he may cut corners elsewhere.
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 08:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I think Tsar is talking about the idiots who post their homework assignments on A2K.

You're right though, rich students paying for bespoke essays is a scandal.

I've got really scummy posh students next door, I can't abide them.

I remember that part of the price that my parents paid for an encyclopedia that there was a dozen or so coupons that allow you to have a short research papers done for you.

This date back to the early 1960s.

There is nothing new about being able to buy research materials and papers an to used them in a dishonor matter if you care to do so.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 12:59 am
@BillRM,
My parents bought several sets of encyclopedias and there were no coupons for pre-written research papers. This would have been in the late 50's and early 60's...I remember Dad bought 'World Book' and I think 'World Scope' for us. I loved the old encyclopedias, unfortunately they needed to be updated frequently. I still think it's interesting to look at an old volume from 1948 or 1960 and read about historical figures who were still alive at that time.

I suppose there could have been coupons that my parents removed, and I just never knew.
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:03 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

My parents bought several sets of encyclopedias and there were no coupons for pre-written research papers. This would have been in the late 50's and early 60's...I remember Dad bought 'World Book' and I think 'World Scope' for us. I loved the old encyclopedias, unfortunately they needed to be updated frequently. I still think it's interesting to look at an old volume from 1948 or 1960 and read about historical figures who were still alive at that time.

I suppose there could have been coupons that my parents removed,res and I just never knew.

I been trying to remember what encyclopedia set that contain those coupons but sadly without success.

footnote on historical figures I can still remember John W Campbell the editor of Astounding and later name Analog wrote a decade or more before the moon program less alone the first moon landing that the first person who will go to the moon had already been born.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:10 am
@BillRM,
I don't have those versions any longer, but we may still have my husband and brother-in-law's downstairs. I can't remember right now who published them, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and root around for them.
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:23 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I don't have those versions any longer, but we may still have my husband and brother-in-law's downstairs. I can't remember right now who published them, and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and root around for them.

I used to have floor to ceiling bookshelves but over the decades I lost most of the books first to an annoyed wife soon at the time to be an ex-wife who had her kids take the books an dump them in a near by canals including my collection of well over a hundred plus years old engineering magazines an next my home got almost directly hit by hurricane Andrew and then add a number of moves over the decades.

Now I try my best to mainly have E-Books where well over a thousand books can fit on my key chain and in my bank safe deposit box an so on.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 01:26 am
@BillRM,
She threw your books in a canal????? Outrageous, and good riddance. (the wife, not the books)

1. Forums
  2. » the homework cheating industry threatening to destroy culuture and tradition do you agree
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.1 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 03:40:17