[ans]WHy does the double post monster pick on me so much?

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:00 am
Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
'Cause you need more patience. Sometimes, when one or more of the hamsters get hungry, they will go out for an overlong coffee break. You will be attempting to post something, and the hamster has left his post. Therefore, you will keep clicking on it.

This will confuse the junior level hamsters, (who don't know much anyhow), and they won't know enough to catch your second post.

Capeesh???
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:05 am
Odd Socks
Odd Socks, there was a period of an hour or two yesterday (Friday) when I couldn't get anything on A2K to work right. When I was finally able to post, I got doubles every time.

Whatever caused the problem seems to be fixed. Maybe the Hamster got over his grumpy snit. :wink:

BTW, you can always delete one of the double posts if you do it before someone replies. Just click on "edit" and then click on the "x" delete icon.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
This may be specific to my particular computer, as it happens on my home computer (IMac/dsl) and not with my work computer (PC/dial up) - but if I post and then for some reason click the back button it is virtually always a double post with my Imac.
I then rush to New Posts, click on the thread. find the double post and delete it as fast as I can before someone else posts; when they do that I can only edit.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
I've never had a double post.

Do I get a prize?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:35 pm
Not from me, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:21 pm
Not always, but way and away mosta the time, once you click "Submit", your post is "In the mail" and will show up here in very short order. For any number of reasons, chief among which would be hamsters messin' around, carousin', drinkin', playin' cards, and swappin' off-color stories instedda payin' attention to the bone-head easy jobs they're so handsomely paid to handle. its a shame, really, but the hamsters' union is pretty strong, and ya just gotta live with their hijinks.

Once in a while though, it ain't really the hamsters' fault. You click "Submit", and it seems nothin' is happenin'. Actually, mosta what was s'poseta happen went right to spec, however your browser failed to return the confirmation page and then redirect you to your posted response. You see nothin' happenin' at your end, figure nothin' happened, and hit "Submit" again, causin' the post to be submitted again. Often, a subsequent "Submit" more or less kicks your browser back into gear, you get the confirmation-and-redirect page, then discover you have a couple or more identical posts in a row, seconds apart in arrival time.

Short version: if you hit "Submit" and nothin' seems to happen, you prolly shouldn't hit "Submit" again. If ya ya wanna take no chances on "losin" your post, just right-click in the reply box, select "Select all", then right-click again, selectin' "Copy" to save it to your clipboard. In any event, scroll up to the top of the page, click "Your Posts", and odds areyou'll see the post is there after all. If not - which happens, but is rare - just navigate back to the thread, paste the saved post from your clipboard into the Reply box and give it another shot. You'll prolly get lots fewer duplicate posts that way.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:35 am
it's just the powers that be (god, allah, buddah, zeus, you take your pick) telling you to post more often

post more often
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:49 am
I on the other hand virtually never double click submit (ok, probably twice in how many thousand posts?). I suspect it isn't hamsters either, in my case, as I can make it happen on purpose by clicking Back after submittal. Ah, it's just my idiosyncracy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
ossobuco wrote:
I can make it happen on purpose by clicking Back after submittal.

Yup, that'll happen; by clickin' "Back" at the right point in the process, you can cause your browser to reload and resubmit the post. Happens to me once in a while - my thumb sometimes accidentally clicks the "Back" key on the side of my mouse at just the right wrong time. Embarrassin' Embarrassed
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:57 pm
I never double post.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:57 pm
I never double post.
0 Replies