Growing Up or Growing Old

catch22

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:28 am
This is an interesting story, I read sometime back. It is quite possible you may have too. If not here it is........
Growing Up or Growing Old

The first day of college, our professor introduced himself & asked us to meet someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady smiling at me. She said, "Hi handsome, my name is Rose, I am eighty-seven years old, can I give you a hug?" I laughed, "Of course you may, but why are you in college at such a young age?" I asked. She jokingly replied, "I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married & have a couple of kids...." "No, seriously", I asked. I kept wondering what made her think of college at that age. "I always dreamed of college education & now I am getting one," she told me. After class we walked to the canteen & shared a milk shake & became instant friends. Everyday after class we would talk non-stop & I was impressed by this "time machine" as she shared her experiences with me. Rose made friends easily wherever she went & became famous in the campus. She loved to dress & enjoyed the attention given to her by the other students. At the end of the semester we invited Rose to give a speech. She cleared her throat & began, "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy & getting success. You have to laugh everyday, you must have a dream, realize that there is a difference between growing older and growing up & have no regrets because people usually regret not for what they did, but what they didn't do". Rose completed her degree and died. Everyone attended the funeral to pay a tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:41 am
hear hear Rose.
0 Replies