Electromagnetic propulsion

Oni

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 04:43 pm
Is an electromagnet repulsion propulsion system feasible at our level of technology. For example. Creating a static polarized electromagnetic field, then a repellent field that would push away from it. The first field would dissipate preventing a counter action. The system would then cycle and do it again. Over and over creating enough force for forward movement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 859 • Replies: 9
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 04:54 pm
@Oni,
Are you trying to break the laws of Physics? What you are describing sounds like another form of perpetual motion machine.

It is impossible to create any form of propulsion that does not use energy. That isn't just a matter of "technology"... it is a matter of what we understand to be fundamental laws of physics.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 05:35 pm
@Oni,
You can’t dissipate to prevent counter reaction. It won’t work. Nice try though.
Oni

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
It uses energy but no fuel. Hence the electro in electromagnetic, and not perpetual motion it doesn’t create its own energy
Oni

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 04:09 pm
@rosborne979,
I can see it in my head better than I can explain it lol. So let’s say you have a craft space ship if you will. At the end of the “engine” protruding out the back is where the repulsing magnetic charge is created directed aft. The static charged field is created behind the ship. The engine then discharges a repellant charge into the “field” pushing the ship away from it. The “field” isn’t connected to the ship so there is no pull back reaction to the initial push action. Like if you used your hands to push off a wall in zero g. The “field” isn’t solid like a force field or anything it is simply polarized to allow the engine to use the same polarization to repel it. The craft should move away with this repeating. It would eventually overcome the inertia needed to propel the craft up to half the force of the repelling fields and the craft should accelerate continually as there is nothing to act against it when in space
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 04:35 pm
@Oni,
I don't think you are using the word "energy" correctly. First of all, the word "electro" does not mean energy. It refers to electronic force (and you can have force without any change in energy).

An electromagnetic field is not an endless source of energy. It is an energy in = energy out sort of deal. The energy you can extract from an electromagnetic field is positional... it is a type of potential energy. Once it does work, to create propulsion it can't use the same potential energy again unless you add more energy.

Unless you are adding some energy source (i.e. a fuel) then you are proposing a perpetual motion machine... and breaking basic laws of physics.
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 06:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Are you saying I should just give up on my monopolar magnetic propulsion?
maxdancona

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 09:35 pm
@roger,
Yes and your quantum particle hyperspace interatomic wormhole drive
roger

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 09:50 pm
@maxdancona,
O, well

TANSTAAFL
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2019 10:27 pm
I learned about TANSTAAFL when I was still just a kid. It took many years for the nickel to drop so that I understood why.
0 Replies