Question for an Expert in Catholicism & Vocation

PCraig

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
This is a sincere and real question, not a debate topic, but there was no "Ask the Expert" area for this that I could find.

My situation is rather an unusual one, I fear. From the age of three, I expressed to my mother, and other family members, a strong desire to enter a cloistered life. Although it piqued some interest in them as to where I might have "gotten such a notion," it was not seriously considered by them. I was not born to a family that followed Catholicism, nor had I ever had, at that point, any exposure to those of the faith.

The desire continued upmost in my heart and mind until finally, when I had reached the age of fourteen, my mother told me that it was simply impossible and that, had God truly wished me to enter the novitiate, He would have seen fit to prepare me by sending me to a Catholic family. I had by this time researched Catholicism with great fervency. I had studied other religions as well, wishing to be certain that my vocation was true, and to try to discern why I might have felt this pronounced calling from such an early age; it seemed an uncommon thing in one who hadn't any previous exposure and whose desire to enter the religious life was so very unsupported.

My mother's exasperated words, when I was fourteen, changed my life ... and not, I fear, for the better though I have since learned not to second-guess providence. I believed her, if not accurate, than at least to have been given the compass with which to direct my life. To do otherwise was to break the commandment to respect my parents. It was a moral quandry for me, but in the end I was persuaded that God must have a different plan or he would have granted me the support needed to pursue my vocation. So, I lived the life of the non-Catholic.

I did as was asked of me, dating obediently but with a sense that the life I was living was not the one intended for me. I married, had children, divorced with the blessing of the Baptist church to which my husband belonged rather than to have the physical temple of God further vandalized by his abuse.

I attended college, majoring in Comparitive Religions and minoring in Psychology. I married, at last, a man fifteen years my senior who had been raised within the church, but had broken from it. We travelled as the result of his work, living in Kenya for several years. We had two sons, and though they were not born within the church, I taught them the faith even after the marriage had ended. I also provided my former husband with the consolation and succor needed for him to feel that he could return to the church, this happening after the marraige had been broken. He attends still, so at least this one thing ... this and the children and the experience of travel... were positive outflow from the marriage.

I am now nearing forty-eight. I am married and have children who will be independant of me within the next six years. The marriage has, in many respects, grown alien to me, requiring me to behave in ways that I can not reconcile with my "inner compass of morality before God." And the urge ... the pull toward a quiet life of contemplative study, worship and aid to others has not left me in the least. This "phase" my mother spoke of is clearly far stronger than the temptations of worldliness that tempt me not at all.

I feel rather like I am living in Dante's Purgatorio, neither one place or the other, in my life. I am compelled to do what I was unable to before and yet now, through my obedience, find myself no longer worthy though my motives remained pure and without guile. To continue as I am is to deny both God and self, and yet I feel that, because I chose to obey my mother those many years ago, I am no longer worthy of that which was inbred in me to do. I live in a small town, where full disclosure even to the local Father is beyond my ability. My arriving on the doorstep of the church here would be enough to incite comment and question simply because that is the nature of the town itself, and its seeking any item of interest from the limited surroundings.

Might you, possibly, be able to place me in touch with someone who could advise me in these matters, or perhaps someone who has already successfully forded these dark waters and might point the steps to me?

Yours In Christ Jesus,

P. Craig
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:46 pm
Joseph Campbell spoke of "following your bliss".

Quote:
JOSEPH CAMPBELL: All the time. It is miraculous. I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time - namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

Quote:
JOSEPH CAMPBELL: If you follow your bliss, you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. Wherever you are -- if you are following your bliss, you are enjoying that refreshment, that life within you, all the time.

http://www.jcf.org/bliss.php

In a few years, you will be able to "follow your bliss". I would suggest, in the meantime, talk to the heads of various orders. If you are concerned about nosy neighbors, write to various orders that are not in your vicinity, and tell them what you have written here.

What about your husband? Have you discussed this with him? I think that if you are planning on leaving, you need to be up front with him. It may be difficult, but from what you have written, it seems to me that in order for you to be fulfilled, you need to follow tha path that you have been longing for, lo these many years.

You might want to check this out:

http://www.catholic-pages.com/dir/orders_women.asp
0 Replies

PCraig

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:38 pm
With Many Thanks
I cannot begin to express how welcome your reply has been to me. I am quite fond of Campbell and the quotations you selected were like visits from an old friend. I suppose that I was letting years of self-doubt get the better of me in this most important life choice.

I have spoken to my husband about this; I had done so even before we married, but he seems to feel that my fulfillment will come along with his own. Unfortunately the paths to his fulfillment are far divergent from my own need and desire to dedicate my life to the work of the church. I continue to be resistive, albeit passively and philosophically, with his intentions to "grow through expanded relationship," but the day is swiftly approaching when I will simply have to state my case quietly but firmly.

I will contact orders outside this area ... most are *s* ... and inquire of them as I have here.

Thank you for your wisdom, your insight, and your understanding of this somewhat unusual path to vocation. So often when I've been open to others about this I've met scorn or incredulous laughter.

Thank you, for the gentleness.

Peri Craig
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:01 am
Am I understanding this correctly? You are still not Catholic?
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:37 am
As long as we remain in this life it's not too late to change. Don't underestimate the fathomless Mercy of our Heavenly Father, for it is truly beyond all human understanding. One should always strive to follow the call of God first, and let everything else come second. Respect of one's parents is of course important, but love of God is even more important. There are many children throughout history who have felt the call of God, who've had parents who were atheists. That does not mean that these vocations should be ignored of course. God wishes to call everyone to Him, religious and irreligious alike.

Regarding your current familiy situation, you should discuss with your husband the issues which you find irreconcilable with your faith in an attempt to work out some kind of solution. Your current situtation seems pretty much untenable. After all, one cannot serve two masters at the same time. I believe you need to make your husband understand that there has to be some kind of a change, that helps you live a life in accordance with your "moral compass".

As for the comments and questions of the townspeople, try not to let them influence you negatively. It's simply not worth it. I know it takes courage to put God first in every place, and that it's far from simple many times, but this is always what we should strive to do.

Finally, I would recommend you to pray. Pray, pray, pray a lot for your family and your husband, and try never to abandon hope no matter how bad things turn. I wish you good luck.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:06 am
How interesting, P.Craig. I was born a P. Craig. Very Happy

I am sorry to think that people may have laughed at your ideas. It does seem as though you have done many things to follow your initial feelings -- studying religion & psychology, marrying a baptized Catholic and continuing to wonder about this.

I am stunned to think you may have never gone to mass. Is this true? I suggest you do so immediately. There is one going on nearly every day, somewhere close by. If you tell me the city where you are, I'll find one for you.

You are right. It is not possible for a non-Catholic to join Holy Orders. Holy Orders is one of the seven sacraments and you need to do the first four (Baptism, Reconciliation, Communion, Confirmation) before you receive any of the others (Holy Orders, Marriage, Annointing the Sick).

So, first, you'd have to become Catholic. People entering the church undertake the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults or (RCIA) program. This ends on Easter at which time you can be a full-fledged Roman Catholic. Children undergo a similar set of instructions (RCIC), but do not receive Confirmation until they are of age.

The RCIA program follows the church cycle or "Liturgical Year" which is why you'll need to wait until September to start. You'll need a sponsor or one will be assigned to you. But first, you do have to go to the church and make your interests known.

Being a married woman presents a problem. However, if you are truly called, things will open up for you. Most orders have married staff and also receive widows into their ranks. Different orders have different rules and you may be able to begin work with an order as a layperson. As to divorcing your husband... that is something between you and a very sympathetic priest to discuss. It is a separate issue but it is a responsibility that you must consider.
0 Replies