Austria: 50 years state treaty

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:56 am
Quote:
50 Years State Treaty

Events on the Occasion of the Anniversary

On May 15, 1955, Austria's Foreign Minister (and former Federal Chancellor) Leopold Figl presented the freshly signed State Treaty from the balcony of Belvedere Palace. Just before, at the signing of the treaty, he had spoken the legendary words, "Austria is Free!"
The document was a treaty between Austria and the victorious countries of World War II, France, England, the United States and the USSR. With this treaty, the small country in the center of Europe regained its sovereignty. In 1938, Austria had become part of Germany and had, as such, participated in the war. Since April 27, 1945, the country had been independent, but it was occupied by France, England, the United States, and the USSR.

"The Four in the Jeep," as the patrolling representatives of the occupying forces were called, characterized the cityscape of the devastated city. Orson Welles's legendary film "The Third Man" gives an excellent impression of daily life in the Vienna of the time.

Vienna celebrates the anniversary this year with numerous events.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,449 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:58 am
http://wien.info/images/staatsvertrag-gr.jpg

A historic moment: On May 15, 1955 at 12 noon, the Austrian Foreign Minister Leopold Figl steps on the balcony of Belvedere Palace - surrounded by the representatives of France, Great Britain, the United States and the USSR

Quote:
Welcome to the 2005 Jubilee Year Website!
In 2005, Austria will commemorate key events that set the course for the development of our country.

The most important among them are:

60th anniversary of the Second Republic
60th anniversary of the Austrian Trade Union Federation
50th anniversary of the Austrian State Treaty and Austrian independence
50th anniversary of Austria's membership in the United Nations and subsequent membership in the Council of Europe
50th anniversary of the reopening of the Burgtheater
50th anniversary of the reopening of the Staatsoper
50th anniversary of public-service television
10th anniversary of EU membership
This website guides you through the programme and provides information on events scheduled for the 2005 jubilee year
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:07 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:22 pm
http://www.zum.de/whkmla/histatlas/germany/194548.gif

http://www.oesterreichistfrei.at/images/IAusweis_gr.jpg

http://www.oesterreichistfrei.at/images/Alliierte_Reiseerlaubnis_gr.jpg

Some related links:

USFA (United States Forces in Austria) 1945-1955

Austria 1945 - 1955 (US milirary police photo gallery)

Austria is free!

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/jpglps/FO_US_Austria.jpg

Austria maps

<2 x edited: changed map images>
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:09 pm
austria
to me austria means vienna, and vienna means cafe demel, and demel means : ein grosser brauner and plenty of cake !

http://www.photohomepage.de/Hobby%20Fotografie%20Naturfotografie%20Reisefotografie%20Sportfotografie/fotos/reise_osterreich_wien_cafedemel.jpg

when we spent three weeks in vienna we tried quite a few of the famous cafes - including cafe sacher - , but we enjoyed cafe demel the most. when by mistake i once ordered " einen schwarzen " - a strong black coffee - the waittress nicely asked if i would like lots of milk with my coffee - she realized with one look that i was not prepared for a true "schwarzer" - she was right.

if there is any interest in this thread i'll come back to relate some of my experiences in vienna as an eleven year old boy in vienna in 1940-1941 - seen through rose-coloured glasses . hbg
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
Eh Walter, your map of the occupation zones has stretched the page, makes it pretty impossible to read the articles you posted!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 05:11 pm
Quote:
Wir fallen aus keiner Rolle, wir beherrschen jede

Randnotizen zu den Jubiläen einer Republik
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:27 pm
nimh wrote:
Eh Walter, your map of the occupation zones has stretched the page, makes it pretty impossible to read the articles you posted!

Changed the maps - although now it looks similar here as well that I don't/didn't have such difficulties Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 11:44 pm
Now it should be much better. :wink:
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
0 Replies

atrida02

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
Probably the one thing that helped austria the most to become a neutral state is the fact that the USSR didn't wanted Austria to reunite with germany and become a new powerfull state.

According to a reportage showing on austrian TV this wednesday there were 4 plans for austria in consideration:

-Austria stays as a part of germany
-Austria and Bavaria are forming a new "South Germany"
-Austria, Czechoslovakia and Hungary are forming a new "Central Danube state"
-Austria becomes a neutral state

It's really interesting to think about the other possibilities and how it would have changed the europe we know!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
atrida02 wrote:
It's really interesting to think about the other possibilities and how it would have changed the europe we know!

Yes, that would be interesting - fortunately, even in those days the opinion of the Austrians (and other 'natives') wasn't left aside completely :wink:
0 Replies