hotel managers and homosexuals

agrote

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:13 pm
Should it be illegal for a hotel to refuse service to someone purely because they are homosexual?

The way I see this is that either the homosexual or the hotel manager has to accept something that he/she is opposed to. Either the anti-gay hotel manager has to accept that not everyone agrees with him, and tolerate homosexuals in his hotel, or the homosexual has to accept that some people believe that their lifestyle is wrong, and be prepared to try a different hotel.

I personally would sooner side with the homsoexual, because I don't think that there is anything morally wrong with homosexuality. But what should the law do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,462 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:20 pm
Im not positive about this but I think hotels come under the purvue of "we have the right to deny service to anyone"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:26 pm
I would think if the manager simply refused service - no reason offered beyond "No" - the law prolly would support the action. On the other hand, if there was a manager comment on the order of "We don't want your kind here", and it was documented, on paper or electronically, and/or witnessed by otherwise uninvolved/unrelated, independent, credible parties willing to testify, the agrieved parties prolly have a real good shot at early, comfortable retirement.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:26 pm
I agree with dyslexia.

The store manager SHOULD NOT deny anyone purely based on their sexuality, but I believe they should have the right to do so.

It is usually just petty if they excersize that right.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:27 pm
I think this is the same as restaurants refusing service to black people.

It is illegal to descriminate with "public accomodation". This was what we won during the civil rights movement.

I am pretty sure it would be illegal for a hotel to refuse service to black people. I think homosexuals who are descriminated against would be able to use this legal concept.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:21 am
SCoates wrote:
I agree with dyslexia.

The store manager SHOULD NOT deny anyone purely based on their sexuality, but I believe they should have the right to do so.

It is usually just petty if they excersize that right.

So do you think it should be up to the homosexual to tolerate the homophobe rather than the homophobe to tolerate the homosexual?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:21 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I think this is the same as restaurants refusing service to black people.

It is illegal to descriminate with "public accomodation". This was what we won during the civil rights movement.

I am pretty sure it would be illegal for a hotel to refuse service to black people. I think homosexuals who are descriminated against would be able to use this legal concept.

And do you think that it is up to the homophobe to tolerate the homosexual rather than the other way around?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:31 am
Would the manager be against it because the guests were gay or because he thinks the couple would have sex in the room.

Apparently there was a law being considered over here to not allow unmarried couples to stay at hotels!!!!Crazy!!

Lets face it,the main reason people go to hotels is for sex.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:12 am
Agrote,

My argument is a legal one... the word "tolerate" is not relevent legally.

I believe it is illegal for the owner of a "public accomodation" (I think this was the correct term) to refuse service to someone because she is black. The same principle should apply to homosexuals.

If you have a public business such as a restaurant or hotel, you can't discriminate.

Of course, no one has to tolerate anyone. Hate, in this country, is constitutionally protected.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:34 am
I don't know...would this fall under discrimination? If so, then no, they couldn't legally deny someone a room simply because they were homosexual.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:12 am
How would white people feel if black hotel owners didnt want white people in their hotels?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:55 am
Most of these replies indicate that people are not aware of existing laws on antidiscrimination. Most apply only to specific groups (color, religion, etc.). Unless sexual orientation is specifically listed, gays may be discriminated against simply because they are gay. That is why the Lambda Legal Defense Fund and other groups are trying to get it included in all such laws. It is also why anti-gay groups are fighting against such attempts.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
I'm not actually asking a legal question, and I'm a little annoyed that the moderator moved this thread. I'm asking a moral/political question about about whose rights we can sacrafice - the right of the homophobe to refuse to tolerate homosexuals, or the right of the homosexual to be toelrated by everyone our society.

If we allow hotel managers to bar homosexuals, we are letting the homophobes have their way and making the homosexuals tolerate the ways of the homophobe whether they like them or not. If we don't let hotel managers do that, we are letting the homosexuals have the rights of any other person in our society, and making the homophobes tolerate homosexuality.

So either way, somebody's beliefs and values are being trampled on, aren't they?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:36 pm
I don't know were you're from, but in america we're allowed to trample other peoples beliefs.

Why is ladies night acceptable in bars? That's sexual descrimination too.

Sorry, I'm just kidding around. I think that currently it is the homosexuals responsibility. It doesn't mean that is fair. But I don't believe it would be fair to force a hotel to accept anyone, either.

I think you've just hit upon one of the many ways that life isn't fair.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
Quote:
If we don't let hotel managers [discriminate] we are letting the homosexuals have the rights of any other person in our society, and making the homophobes tolerate homosexuality.

I disagree with this statement. Making a law that prevents people who offer public accomodation from discriminating (either against blacks or homosexuals) does not force anyone to tolerate anybody.

The hotel manager must obey the law by not refusing service based on his intolerance. This does not force the manager to "tolerate homosexuality". She can continue hating homosexuals and believe whatever she wants and still follow the law.

I think that's how it should be. Discrimination should be illegal in any aspect of public life. Legally the actions of people can be restricted as a way to ensure a just and peaceful society.

However beliefs and values and tolerance and hatred should not (and can not) be legislated.

You can hate whomever you want for whatever reason. You just can refuse them a service you are offerering to the general public.

No ones rights are being trampled on.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 06:06 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:
If we don't let hotel managers [discriminate] we are letting the homosexuals have the rights of any other person in our society, and making the homophobes tolerate homosexuality.

I disagree with this statement. Making a law that prevents people who offer public accomodation from discriminating (either against blacks or homosexuals) does not force anyone to tolerate anybody.

The hotel manager must obey the law by not refusing service based on his intolerance. This does not force the manager to "tolerate homosexuality". She can continue hating homosexuals and believe whatever she wants and still follow the law.

I think that's how it should be. Discrimination should be illegal in any aspect of public life. Legally the actions of people can be restricted as a way to ensure a just and peaceful society.

However beliefs and values and tolerance and hatred should not (and can not) be legislated.

You can hate whomever you want for whatever reason. You just can refuse them a service you are offerering to the general public.

No ones rights are being trampled on.

Yes I think I agree with you. Well put. Smile
I've been trying to decide what my view is on this myself, but I think you're right to disagree with my statement. If the hotel manager is going to offer a public service, he cannot refuse it to homosexuals, since, whether he agrees with it or not, they are recognised as part of the public.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:18 am
Re: hotel managers and homosexuals
But why would anyone, homosexual or not, tell the hotel manager what his sexual orientation is?
I am not gay, but in all the hotels I have been no one asked me: are you homosexual? The manager tells me the price, I pay, and that is it.
But if someone enters an hotel and, without any previous questions, says: I am gay and I want a room, that can be seen as a provocation, a verbal aggression. In that case, the manager who refuses to accept that host, has my sympathy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 05:33 am
Scoates-there is a specific ladies night for women because EVERY night is lads night at a bar.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:25 am
Re: hotel managers and homosexuals
val wrote:
But why would anyone, homosexual or not, tell the hotel manager what his sexual orientation is?
I am not gay, but in all the hotels I have been no one asked me: are you homosexual? The manager tells me the price, I pay, and that is it.
But if someone enters an hotel and, without any previous questions, says: I am gay and I want a room, that can be seen as a provocation, a verbal aggression. In that case, the manager who refuses to accept that host, has my sympathy.

Have you never looked at someone and realised just from their appearance or manner that they are gay?

The most likely situation though would be that an openly gay couple, maybe holding hands like any other couple, would walk into a hotel and ask for a room with a double bed. No provocation there.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:41 am
If hotel managers can exclude people for being gay, can hairdressers exclude people for being hotel managers?

Poetic justice is always more fun than the legal sort. I'd take a photo of the hotel manager and send it to every gay-run business I can find... chances are one day he'll get a taste of his own medicine. Very Happy
0 Replies